IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 22: Othello

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition has ended, and no further scores will be accepted. However, if you still wish to discuss this game and compare scores, feel free to do so!

You are locked in a battle of wits. Your opponent watches with a smug grin as you reach for the board and make your move. Strategy and planning are essential, because this week's game is Othello!

Game Information

• Game Name: Othello
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Normal game
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - White plays first (You're white)
  • Game Mode: Game 3 - Expert Level
  • Chosen By: Robert M

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Dec 20th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Lord Helmet! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week! (Already done)

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 55 (Christophero Sly) [+11]
  2. 53 (MoonlightKnight) [+10]
  3. 47 (vdub_bobby) [+9]
  4. 45 (Robert M) [+8]
    45 (supercat) [+8]
  5. 43 (SpiceWare) [+7]
    43 (silverpoodleman) [+7]
  6. 42 (khryssun) [+6]
    42 (shadow460) [+6]
  7. 30 (keilbaca) [+5]
  8. 24 (scogey) [+4]
  9. 20 (video game addict) [+3]
  10. 19 (the 5th ghost) [+2]
    19 (Omegamatrix) [+2]
    19 (LarcenTyler) [+2]

Best Tips

• Robert M [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Shutout Superheros - Eliminate all the oppositions pieces from the board, and you win the game by default! Players with the highest amount of pieces on the board at the time of the shutout get bonus points
    1. 25 (Christophero Sly) [+3]
    2. 19 (the 5th ghost) [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Easy Mode)
  1. 50 (Tom Duncan)
  2. 21 (Troy Whelan)
  3. 13 (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

1. SpiceWare [197]
  2. keilbaca [168]
  3. the 5th ghost [111]
  4. khryssun [83]
  5. sku_u [67]
  6. LarcenTyler [64]
  7. shadow460 [62]
  8. vdub_bobby [60]
  9. homerwannabee [53]
  10. supercat [50]
  11. video game addict [47]
  12. Keir [46]
  13. scogey [44]
  14. D.Yancey [42]
  15. Christophero Sly [41]
  16. Numan [37]
  17. Cybergoth [36]
  18. Mordax [33]
  19. Recycled [32]
  20. durden26 [32]
  21. Goochman [30]
  22. Omegamatrix [30]
  23. silverpoodleman [28]
  24. panda_racer [23]
  25. mitsubachi [22]
  26. Robert M [21]
  27. Dones [20]
  • Mad Scientist [19]
  • Malc74 [19]
  • bjk7382 [15]
  • vgcollector666 [15]
  • neotokeo2001 [14]
  • davepesc [13]
  • xeex [13]
  • Fellow Atari Man [13]
  • brendano [12]
  • gospeedde [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • keitaro [8]
  • 128bytes [7]
  • Voch [6]
  • graywest [6]
  • arlo [6]
  • Mind Game [4]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [4]
  • RJ [4]
  • FireTiger [3]
  • Atarifever [3]
  • Dan Iacovelli [3]
  • mrppv666 [1]
  • Gateway [1]
  • StanJr [1]
  • Luigi301 [1]

Member List

Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M

Scoring Points in Othello

Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? AtariAge has both a scanned copy and a typed copy online. In case you're too lazy to read the manual, here's the hints it provides:

- A corner square can be extremely valuable since it cannot be outflanked and since it serves as a permanent end in three directions(horizontally, vertically, and diagonally).  Try to capture corner squares whenever possible.

- Squares which make up rows on the outside edges of the grid are also valuable. They can only be outflanked in one direction along the edge and they can serve as an outside "end" for three directions (2 diagonals and perpendicular to the edge).

- Be careful when approaching the row next to the outside row.  When you capture one of the squares in these rows you become a possible bridge (for your opponent) to a corner or end position.

- A solid block of one color is often the key to a winning game.  Another key to winning is dominating the corners of the grid.

(See the manual for some diagrams that I haven't included here)

Here's a tip: I have noticed that the computer will take the corner as soon as it can even if waiting would yield more captures. So you can make the computer waste its corner moves. Notice in my picture. The computer has all 4 corners, but I control 3 of the 4 sides between the corners.
One of the major keys to the game is recognizing that trapped pieces cannot be flipped. If a row holds -XO-OOX- and you can insert an O at the center dash, nothing X can play on that row can flip your pieces there. On the other hand, if you capture one of the X's then all of your O's may become vulnerable.

I was getting severely skunked. The computer controlled all the edge pieces and much of the board; there were twelve squares remaining: the four corners, the four squares inside the corners, and an edge piece next to each corner. I played an "inside corner" square (no alternative) and the computer took it. I then played the edge piece next to it and the computer had no move. By taking that edge piece, I was then able to take a corner (computer still had no move), and then proceed around the board. I went from being way to scoring a commanding win, making my last ten plays without opposition.

Here is a website with a short introduction to Othello strategy.

http://www.radagast.se/othello/Help/strategy.html

I assume that most of the strategy discussed is geared toward human vs. human games, so some of the strategy wasn't entirely applicable when playing against the VCS because the VCS places a high priority on capturing edge and corner pieces. However, I've found that the concept of mobility seems to be the key to winning big against the VCS. In the opening and through much of the mid-game, try to hold a minimum of squares, preferably squares close to the middle of the board. Capture some edge pieces when it makes sense, but don't build along the edges too much. Let the VCS capture most of the board. At some point, the VCS's mobility will be severely limited and it will have to start sacrificing it's holdings along the edges to you. Played just right, the VCS will become so limited in it's choice of moves that you can make 3 or more consecutive moves and win all four corners and the edges without the VCS being able to move.

I'm impressed that the programmer(s) were able to track 64 game pieces and implement some fairly good game logic in just 128 bytes.

Here is a photo that shows the sequence necessary to make a nine-move shutout. [Ed. - See Sly's post on page 3 for the picture]

--Ze_ro

45 so far!

Here's a tip: I have noticed that the computer will take the corner as soon as it can even if waiting would yield more captures. So you can make the computer waste its corner moves. Notice in my picture. The computer has all 4 corners, but I control 3 of the 4 sides between the corners.

Cheers!

post-2784-1134524123_thumb.jpg

One of the major keys to the game is recognizing that trapped pieces cannot be flipped. If a row holds -XO-OOX- and you can insert an O at the center dash, nothing X can play on that row can flip your pieces there. On the other hand, if you capture one of the X's then all of your O's may become vulnerable.

I'm not generally all that great at this game, but the point about "trapped" pieces and the computer being greedy for corners really paid off:

post-7027-1134527220_thumb.jpg

I was getting severely skunked. The computer controlled all the edge pieces and much of the board; there were twelve squares remaining: the four corners, the four squares inside the corners, and an edge piece next to each corner. I played an "inside corner" square (no alternative) and the computer took it. I then played the edge piece next to it and the computer had no move. By taking that edge piece, I was then able to take a corner (computer still had no move), and then proceed around the board. I went from being way to scoring a commanding win, making my last ten plays without opposition.

I just pitched a shut out.  How should this be scored?

982211[/snapback]

That's pretty cool. :cool: By the rules of the game your winning score is just 13 since you can not make anymore legal moves, but that does seem insufficient for actually wiping the black pieces off the board.

thought id post an early score just for the hell of it this week.

I used to have the travel version/magnetic and kick my brothers ass on this on several drives to ohio to visit relatives..game 3 is nasty...i can beat game 1 usually but...I will call this version "deep green" :P

982211[/snapback]

That's pretty cool. :cool: By the rules of the game your winning score is just 13 since you can not make anymore legal moves, but that does seem insufficient for actually wiping the black pieces off the board.

982261[/snapback]

I think he should get "Bounties and Challenges" points for that - and he should be able to turn in a higher score and still keep the B&C.

982211[/snapback]

982261[/snapback]

I think he should get "Bounties and Challenges" points for that - and he should be able to turn in a higher score and still keep the B&C.

982434[/snapback]

I agree - very impressive, Christophero Sly! Expert mode was kicking the #$#@! out of me last night...

982211[/snapback]

982261[/snapback]

982434[/snapback]

Sounds good to me. :ponder: :D

Here is a 43 I got last night.

post-2851-1134585096_thumb.jpg