IGNORED

I am going to meet NOLAN B!!!!!!

Cassidy Nolen

No joke. I am on my way out tomorrow morning. Heres the lowdown......

Got an email from a lady at the Computer Museum in Silicon Valley, CA. She heard about my Computer Space machine from Curt Vendel (who rocks, by the way) and wanted to know if they could use it for a lecture that Nolan was giving this next week.

After emailing a few times, we realized it would not be possible in 5 days to get the machine there in time, but I was still invited to come to the reception.....

Now I saw many of you last weekend in Philly, imagine the sale to my wife about needing to fly 3000 miles at my expense, hotel, car, et al. and then back in a few days.......

Anyway, my co-workers put together a pot for me, and paid for my plane ticket. Yes I teach with the coolest teachers on earth. Bottom line, Nicole and I leave tomorrow morning at 6 am to fulfil a life dream of mine: Meet the father of video games himself: NOLAN BUSHNELL.

This rocks. Just wanted to share this with my friends on the group. Figured you are all as crazy as I am and could appreciate this. I am planning on telling him about the group and seeing if he would write in too!

Talk to you all when I get back. I should have some photos.........

Cassidy

Wow, yeah, that's cool! The closest I've ever gotten to Nolan is hanging out with his daughter (and his wife, too, I think) in their RV at Burning Man way back in 1995. But Nolan either wasn't there, or wasn't around... : (

Wow! You have no idea how jealous I am. Of course if I actually got to meet Nolan I'm not exactly sure what I'd say. Be sure to mention that no matter what he does that the Atari community is behind him 100%. And be sure to get some autographs you lucky bastard!

Why can't cool things like this happen to me? I never get a call from an ex-Atari employee wanting one of my prototypes for a lecture... What is the lecture for anyway? I'd love to hear Nolan speak.

Tempest

I missed out on meeting Nolan and a bunch of others for the Stella At 20 shoot -- I didn't have the money to fly out, but would have charged it; only then work came up and ruined even that.

On the other hand, I've at least met some of the folk on Leonard's celebrity page -- Ralph Baer, Eugene Jarvis, Joe Decuir, Howard Scott Warshaw and John Harris. I've talked over email with Mike Mika, Bill Kunkel, Arnie Katz, Dan Kramer and Al Alcorn (oh, and Michael Thomasson :-).

My only real claim to fame in this regard would be meeting Jay Fenton AND Jamie Fay Fenton (in other words, pre AND post op). In fact, I gave him (pre) a ride from a dinner (where I met Dave Nutting and Jeff Vavasour) to his mother's house, and he was telling me stories about college and working on Bally stuff.

I wanted to let you all know, I am printing out this thread as we speak, and I will personally be handing it to Nolan when I meet him.

Your sentiments model mine perfectly and we all know Atari never died. We all had to grow up, and so did Atari. It just so happens we all found it again.

Thanks you all, I will hopefully have some great photos to share. I am taking my childhood 2600 for him to sign on the woodgrain.

I will be back on Wednesday!

Cassidy

I am back, Wow, what trip!

Got to meet Steve Russell, Al Alcorn, and the man himself. I was a bumbling idiot but I did shake his hand, hand him my card, and got my 2600 signed on the wood front in Sharpee. Got to watch Nolan and Steve play Galaxy, again a high light of the trip.

Some thrift store finds in Sunnyvale, pics of the Atari headquarters (not any longer, but the building is still there). 1265 Borregas Ave.

It cost me everything I made in Philly and then a lot, but man was it worth it.

More and some pics to come.

Cassidy