Panther

45 replies to this topic

#1 ~llama OFFLINE  

~llama

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts
  • temporary like Achilles

Posted Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:43 AM

I see on Atari Explorer (amazing site, btw) that there's a Panther dev system. Who has it? Any software exist for Panther?

Curt, do you have a closet full of boxed Panther consoles you'd be willing to mail me as a Christmas present? :D :ponder:

Edited by ~llama, Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:52 AM.

#2 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• 4,482 posts

Posted Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:58 AM

I posted up all of the Panther dev disks and I think the manual about 2 years ago...

NOT an impressive system based on the spec's... sorry, one one lonely Panther sits in my office, the other kitty's are still out in the wild ;-)

Curt

I see on Atari Explorer (amazing site, btw) that there's a Panther dev system. Who has it? Any software exist for Panther?

Curt, do you have a closet full of boxed Panther consoles you'd be willing to mail me as a Christmas present? :D  :ponder:

View Post

#3 Ferris OFFLINE  

Ferris

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts
  • ...Doin the Bull Dance ...Feein the Flow

Posted Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:23 PM

Curt - you're talking about the development system, correct? I saw the engineering drafts on Karl's AEX site but never thought they had molded any units.

I'd still love to see the cartridge design for that thing... looks like it would have been quite interesting.

Justin

#4 krupkaj OFFLINE  

krupkaj

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts
  • from 8 to 64 and beyond

Posted Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:49 PM

I know it is not cartridge design, but. 2 years ago I created 3D model of Pather. In case you have not seen it yet, enjoy.

p2.png p3.png

#5 Famicoman OFFLINE  

Famicoman

River Patroller

• 2,409 posts
  • All in the Famicom

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2006 8:40 PM

May I ask what you created it with?

#6 krupkaj OFFLINE  

krupkaj

Stargunner

• 1,211 posts
  • from 8 to 64 and beyond

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2006 4:10 AM

It is modelled in Catia V4, but the screenshots are taken in Catia V5.

Edited by krupkaj, Tue Jan 3, 2006 4:13 AM.

#7 Vic George 2K3 OFFLINE  

Vic George 2K3

Quadrunner

• 5,598 posts
  • I was corn this way.

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2006 4:20 PM

That looks more like a printer than a game console.

#8 Trip_Cannon OFFLINE  

Trip_Cannon

Stargunner

• 1,487 posts
  • Lean mean 80's machine!

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2006 4:32 PM

How did the Panther's specs compare to that of like systems of the time? SNES, Genny, or even the Jaguar?

#9 ~llama OFFLINE  

~llama

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 496 posts
  • temporary like Achilles

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:05 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm still burning with curiosity about this system. It looks from the picture on AEX like it's got a 68000 in it. What else? What kind of graphics hardware was the Panther going to be packing? Is there any way to know?

Edited by ~llama, Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:05 AM.

#10 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,327 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:24 AM

That looks more like a printer than a game console.

Or a paper shredder...

#11 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,215 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:22 AM

Actually it looks almost like the 32X. It looks like it was made to plug into something rather than standalone. Ick!

Tempest

#12 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 1:49 AM

i wouldnt mind owning an Atari Panther prototype,its interesting to say the least. Anybody on AA own one?? :)

#13 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • $23

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 5:28 AM

i wouldnt mind owning an Atari Panther prototype,its interesting to say the least. Anybody on AA own one?? :)

I've touched one once if that counts :D. A big black box with some connectors. Never seen one running.

#14 TwinChargers OFFLINE  

TwinChargers

Stargunner

• 1,070 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 7:03 AM

If anyone here would have one, I'd bet that pigsinspace probably has one in his closet. :)

#15 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • $23

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 8:40 AM

Too bad this system was never released. According to wiki, this system was scheduled to be released in 1991. With 2000 sprites and a 32-channel ensoniq sound processor. This kind of specs just made me drewl back in those days :cool:

#16 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 4:31 PM

I've touched one once if that counts :D. A big black box with some connectors. Never seen one running.

LOL!

#17 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 4:32 PM

If anyone here would have one, I'd bet that pigsinspace probably has one in his closet. :)

i doubt it,but i guess anything is possible :cool:

#18 JerryG OFFLINE  

JerryG

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 6:36 PM

Yes, I own one. I would be willing to part with it for a reasonable offer.

JerryG

#19 Wickeycolumbus OFFLINE  

Wickeycolumbus

Red Sea Crosser

• 5,138 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008 7:11 PM

JerryG

Sweet! Can you post pics? I've never seen one before.

#20 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 AM

JerryG

PM sent buddy! :D

#21 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,639 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:37 AM

I don't care to look it up so I'll just ask, is there any software for the Panther? Controllers even?

#22 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 PM

I don't care to look it up so I'll just ask, is there any software for the Panther? Controllers even?

to my knowledge ,there is a prototype system and a developement system..... :) 3-4 games exist that i heard of,all of which are Jaguar titles.

#23 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,639 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 PM

to my knowledge ,there is a prototype system and a developement system..... :) 3-4 games exist that i heard of,all of which are Jaguar titles.

So what about controllers? Can it use Jag controllers or something like that?

#24 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:59 PM

So what about controllers? Can it use Jag controllers or something like that?

i have no idea about that buddy,good question :?: ! i would like to own some Panther stuff eventually!

#25 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,023 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:20 AM

Yep, Cybermorph was a port to the Jaguar from the Panther... and it shows. :P

If Cybermorph is an example of what the Panther had to offer, I'm glad they chose to go with the Jaguar.

Hey it could have gone like this...

"And then in 1993 Atari was working on two game systems, the 32 bit Panther, and a 64 bit Jaguar. The Panther was slow in development, and the 64 bit Jaguar was actually ahead in progress, but Atari wanted to release a system more in step with the market with cheaper production costs.

The delayed Panther was released into the market with marginal success. It's graphics capibilities were impressive for the time, but not enough to compete with already existing and successful Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo systems which won over by sheer number of games. Soon the 3D0 came out, leaving Atari's Panther in it's cat tracks.

Sadly, the Atari Jaguar was a promising system, with a unique graphic and sound chip and would have displayed millions of colors, but with the results of the Panther the Jaguar never saw the light of day, caged in an Atari office until Atari was sold to JTS. Only a few Jaguar prototypes have been found since. It's two games, a ported Cybermorph from the Panther system and Trevor McFur show only glimpses of what could have been in this last Atari system."

Yeh, if I was to have a last Atari system, I'll take the Jaguar any day!!! :D

Edited by doctorclu, Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:23 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users