Photo

Panther

42 replies to this topic

#26 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:30 PM

I don't care to look it up so I'll just ask, is there any software for the Panther? Controllers even?

to my knowledge ,there is a prototype system and a developement system..... :) 3-4 games exist that i heard of,all of which are Jaguar titles.

Yep, Cybermorph was a port to the Jaguar from the Panther... and it shows. :P

If Cybermorph is an example of what the Panther had to offer, I'm glad they chose to go with the Jaguar.

Hey it could have gone like this...

"And then in 1993 Atari was working on two game systems, the 32 bit Panther, and a 64 bit Jaguar. The Panther was slow in development, and the 64 bit Jaguar was actually ahead in progress, but Atari wanted to release a system more in step with the market with cheaper production costs.

The delayed Panther was released into the market with marginal success. It's graphics capibilities were impressive for the time, but not enough to compete with already existing and successful Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo systems which won over by sheer number of games. Soon the 3D0 came out, leaving Atari's Panther in it's cat tracks.

Sadly, the Atari Jaguar was a promising system, with a unique graphic and sound chip and would have displayed millions of colors, but with the results of the Panther the Jaguar never saw the light of day, caged in an Atari office until Atari was sold to JTS. Only a few Jaguar prototypes have been found since. It's two games, a ported Cybermorph from the Panther system and Trevor McFur show only glimpses of what could have been in this last Atari system."

Yeh, if I was to have a last Atari system, I'll take the Jaguar any day!!! :D

LOL :ponder:

#27 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 PM

Id still like to see what the games for the system would have looked like and is that god-awful fax machine what the console proto actually looked like? yeesh.

#28 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:28 PM

Id still like to see what the games for the system would have looked like and is that god-awful fax machine what the console proto actually looked like? yeesh.

the Panther did not look like that if memory serves... :)

#29 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:31 PM

here is a link showing what the Panther looked like...........

http://www.homecompu...es/panther.html

#30 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,921 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:29 PM

Very cool link. Thanks!

#31 BuddyBuddies OFFLINE  

BuddyBuddies

River Patroller

• 2,214 posts

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 AM

Very cool link. Thanks!

no problem buddy! :)

#32 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,020 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 AM

here is a link showing what the Panther looked like...........

http://www.homecompu...es/panther.html

You see, that was a Panther prototype.

Now the reason why the Panther concept looked like a printer was because it was supposed to be the 32-bit add on that plugged into the cartridge port of the Atari 5200. ;)

#33 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,625 posts

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 PM

From those pics it looks like it did use the Jaguar Controller style. Neat.

#34 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:33 AM

If i remember rightly tempest 2000 was also ported over from the panther...I remember seeing screenshots in a review in a UK games mag (and it was from the panther, not jaguar)

#35 TXG/MNX OFFLINE  

TXG/MNX

River Patroller

• 3,619 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 AM

I posted up all of the Panther dev disks and I think the manual about 2 years ago...

NOT an impressive system based on the spec's... sorry, one one lonely Panther sits in my office, the other kitty's are still out in the wild icon_winking.gif

Curt

Anyone has a copy of these dev disks cannot find them online anymore, did ask Curt but maybe anyone overhere has a copy...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LEX829 met Tapatalk

#36 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,101 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 AM

Holy revival of the Panther thread!

Just doing a quick roll count, it appears there are at very least 5 panthers floating right now (out of a possible minimum of 7):

1. Curt (assuming he still has his)

2. Stefan (verified this morning to still have his)

3. JerryG (if he still has it?)

4. TXG/MNX (now has one)

5. Lance

Doesn't seem like a bad number of development kits out there! Hopefully something can be compiled and shown working soon.

#37 TXG/MNX OFFLINE  

TXG/MNX

River Patroller

• 3,619 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 AM

Just doing a quick roll count, it appears there are at very least 5 panthers floating right now (out of a possible minimum of 7):

4. TXG/MNX (now has one)

5. Lance

Doesn't seem like a bad number of development kits out there! Hopefully something can be compiled and shown working soon.

Can you all invited them to https://www.facebook...62444254055577/

The Panther Facebook page there is already some info and more to come....

#38 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 AM

4. TXG/MNX (now has one)
5. Lance

Guildo H.thinks he might still have his in the attic somewhere..but no documents or source code to go with it.

Jim Gregory still has his in his garage, offered it for sale, but never got back to a buyer i put in touch with him.

Anyone pick up an Ex-Domark machine?.

#39 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,101 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:21 PM

Leonard was kind enough to scan this in and share it via TXG/MNX - figure I would add it here as well since a lot of people aren't in the FB groups. GPU specs and Leonard makes it very clear that the Blossom video chip from the ATW800 has absolutely nothing to do with the Panther.

Attached File  Panther - Display Sub-Sytem Specification - march 5, 1991.pdf   4.03MB   24 downloads

#40 TXG/MNX OFFLINE  

TXG/MNX

River Patroller

• 3,619 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 PM

I am looking for a program rdbpar it was a program for Programming the Panther devkit.
It was available for st (maybe pc aswell)

Development was done on a ST using MadMac

If someone can find this program please let know.

#41 StopDrop&Retro OFFLINE  

StopDrop&Retro

Dragonstomper

• 865 posts
  • The RVGStorian

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 AM

I hope I'm not going too far off topic, but can anyone tell me why this is the best image we have of the Panther production sketch??

Atari-panther.gif

Is that real?? How are we sure? Where did it come from?

It's laughably amateur, I hope there's a story behind it. It looks like kids concept art that was submitted for a video game magazine competition back in the day. It's just so strange to know that this piece of hardware got far enough to have prototype hardware but the only sketch exists on a napkin. Anyone know what's going on here?

If it actually came out, I could see the Panther claiming top prize in 'Ugliest Consoles of all Time' lists.. ugh...

#42 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,101 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 AM

I hope I'm not going too far off topic, but can anyone tell me why this is the best image we have of the Panther production sketch??

Atari-panther.gif

Is that real?? How are we sure? Where did it come from?

It's laughably amateur, I hope there's a story behind it. It looks like kids concept art that was submitted for a video game magazine competition back in the day. It's just so strange to know that this piece of hardware got far enough to have prototype hardware but the only sketch exists on a napkin. Anyone know what's going on here?

If it actually came out, I could see the Panther claiming top prize in 'Ugliest Consoles of all Time' lists.. ugh...

There's always this, even if incorrectly referenced as a 64-bit system:

panther.png

Edited by Clint Thompson, Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 AM.

#43 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Today, 5:49 AM

Leonard was kind enough to scan this in and share it via TXG/MNX - figure I would add it here as well since a lot of people aren't in the FB groups. GPU specs and Leonard makes it very clear that the Blossom video chip from the ATW800 has absolutely nothing to do with the Panther.

attachicon.gifPanther - Display Sub-Sytem Specification - march 5, 1991.pdf

So, did Curt have incorrect specifications all these years then?

from Curt Vendel (Cvendel@aol.com)
(Atari Historical Society's virtual Atari museum):
The Atari Panther was going to be Atari's original video game console system before the Jaguar, it was a kludged combination of the Atari ST and the Transputer Blossom video card. I have the spec's for the Panther and it was a horrible piece of junk

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users