IGNORED

Gunfight and copy protection...

Snider-man

And, with that, I'm satisfied and am done with this whole subject. I might be a little quick-tempered when it comes to defending the homebrewers and the homebrew community, as I have been the subject of such attacks myself (Venture II limited release anyone?). But, you're right, this should've stayed somewhat more civil at times. Apologizes for not keeping a more civil tongue at times.

And, as you were unaware that this whole subject was beaten soundly to death on these boards several months ago, it sounded like you were trying to throw gasoline on smouldering embers, which - as I see it now - was never your intention. Gotcha there.

But, rather than over-examine how this got so heated and blown horridly out of proportion, let's agree that - the next time anyone has a problem - they go to the person they have a problem *with* using private e-mails, rather than posting something potentially inflamatory in a publically world-read forum. In other words, rather than post "Billy Sucks" on RGVC, e-mail Billy privately, tell Billy he sucks, then explain why. If Billy still doesn't understand why exactly you feel that he sucks, THEN post it publically and let the masses decide.

That goes for everything and everyone reading this, and not just the main players in this thread and the one on RGVC.

Agreed?

quote:

Originally posted by chrisr:

I wrote manuel a letter and was hoping for a response before I do, but I don't know if he is going to write me back or not. I sure wish he had posted his feelings on r.g.v.

Hi Chris!

Actually I just hadn't the time to answer your letter until now. That's one of the reasons why I didn't join the discussion in rgvc at all, even though I knew it was happening right from the start.

I did this discussion before. In fact, as you might have noticed, Eckhard, Thomas and others know my arguments by now well enough, to even explain the case from my point of view, so that I never really felt the urge to repeat or confirm what they said.

My feelings about the boycott...

Hm... I'm not sure what I shall learn from it?

- Maybe I should just quit the 2600 scene and search some friendlier waters to enjoy my hobby? Some guy recently told me how he wished that there'd be a homebrew scene on the Intellivision, maybe one can do stuff there with all people appreciating what you're doing?

- Maybe, if I ever finish my next game, I shouldn't release the ROM for free at all? I thought it was a good compromise, but if people rather spend their bucks on a game without previewing - No problem for me.

If it wasn't for all the positive feedback here and elsewhere I got for my game, I'd probably consider such moves.

So all that's left in my eyes is mainly just just a big waste of time for all. Despite of all the free advertisment of course... I just wished it wouldn't have such a sour tone.

My only hope here is that manuel's feelings aren't too hurt.  That was something I never meant to do, and I think my tone in all of the posts and replies indicated that very well.  My apologies go out to manuel for that.

Actually my feelings really aren't hurt.

When I read it for the first time, I was admittedly angry. I can tolerate your descission not to buy the game, though I don't understand it, since you said you didn't even play it on an emulator.

What in fact made me angry was calling for a boycott. For reasons enough other people told you and made them angry as well.

Ok, time's up. Believe it or not, I've currently to deal with issues that are way more concerning to me.

Greetings,

Manuel

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: Cybergoth ]

Hi Manuel,

If it was me, I'd come up with a new bankswitching scheme and tell people I'll document it in the future, but never actually get around to publishing the info, just the game carts.

Kind of a "copy protect" equivalent that never actually uses that phrase, hehe.