IGNORED

Frogger TV Game?

hanglyman

I'm not a fan of it -- but if you get it, just pick up the 6-in-1 Konami stick instead and get 5 other games for "free!"

987693[/snapback]

Is the version of frogger in that 6-in-1 a better version than the stand-alone? I haven't played either one, but in the Gameboy Advance Konami game with the same 6 games, they changed all the songs in the game for some stupid reason.

I'm not a fan of it -- but if you get it, just pick up the 6-in-1 Konami stick instead and get 5 other games for "free!"

987693[/snapback]

Is the version of frogger in that 6-in-1 a better version than the stand-alone? I haven't played either one, but in the Gameboy Advance Konami game with the same 6 games, they changed all the songs in the game for some stupid reason.

987740[/snapback]

Frogger is the same on both plug and play units. IMHO the Konami GBA version is much better than them, both in terms of arcade faithfulness and look/feel. If you want the oldstyle Frogger experience, play MAME or get the Genesis version of Frogger.

987693[/snapback]

987740[/snapback]

At least when you get the Gameboy Advance version you can unlock the graphicly enhanced version.

Another bad thing about the 6 in 1 Konami stick is that they used the NES versions of, I believe, all the games, and yet lead you to believe the stick contains the arcade versions. Gyruss for the NES is particularly misleading, as the NES version has little in common with the arcade original- they should have renamed it Gyruss II.

I believe that three of the games on the Konami TV Arcade stick are the original NES ports (as in having copyright dates from the 80s), while the remaining three are new ports. I don't have this one anymore, having returned it due to being so disappointed by it (not just the games not being at all the arcade versions, but also because the stick looks terrible and feels worse, like it's going to snap any moment). However, if memory serves, the NES originals are Gyruss, Rushin' Attack, and Yie Ar Kung Fu, and Frogger, Scramble, and Time Pilot are the ones with 2003/2004 copyright dates.

I agree that the consumer is being mislead with this one. The packaging's screenshots show the arcade versions, but those are not what are in the unit; I'm specifically referring to the screenshot of Gyruss' title screen, which is completely different between the arcade and NES versions (much like the rest of the game; I was also puzzled by why YAKF played like a wholly different game, until I realized it was the NES version and not the arcade).

This one was a big disappointment for me. I had really been looking forward to it, and yet it was so below expectations that I actually returned it. Considering that I'm one of the people who do like these retro plug-and-play units in general, that's saying a lot.

onmode-ky

So how IS the Frogger on these units?  In what way is it inaccurate?  Does it at least play all the correct songs?

991937[/snapback]

Let me put it this way: if you're the type of person who feels there are "correct" songs in Frogger, you will be disappointed in this unit. It's like a shareware port to the NES. It's not terrible -- the gameplay is reasonably tight and all the elements we expect (logs, cars, snakes, etc) are there, but it's not emulation and it's not a particularly close port.

I got my son Frogger for Christmas. At $9.95, it really wasn't that much. Here are the pros and cons I've found:

Pros:

Nice Joystick - The Joystick is large, solid, and easy to grip. It makes playing the game a pleasure.

True Gameplay - As far as I can tell, the gameplay elements are all intact. Of course, most of my memories come from playing Frogger on the Atari 8-Bit at my local library, so take this with a grain of salt.

Cons:

The music screams "I'm a Nintendo game!" The chinsey music-box sound was great back in 1988, but in 2006 it seems just a little on the poor side. Especially knowing that the original music was better.

Only one game. I mean, couldn't they have thrown Frogger II on there as well? Cheapskates. :P

Too many logo screens. If I have to cycle through one more "Konami", "Majesco", or "Whoever" screen, I'm going to throttle someone.

Oddities:

What's with the two buttons? All they do is make you hop forward, guaranteeing that you'll kill yourself in the process. I'm guessing that this is a generic Nintendo stick, and the buttons are for other games.

All in all, it's a nice purchase, but don't count on recreating anything more than you can get on a Nintendo.

Edited by jbanes

• 2 weeks later...
I got my son Frogger for Christmas. At $9.95, it really wasn't that much. Here are the pros and cons I've found:

Pros:

Nice Joystick - The Joystick is large, solid, and easy to grip. It makes playing the game a pleasure.

True Gameplay - As far as I can tell, the gameplay elements are all intact. Of course, most of my memories come from playing Frogger on the Atari 8-Bit at my local library, so take this with a grain of salt.

Cons:

The music screams "I'm a Nintendo game!" The chinsey music-box sound was great back in 1988, but in 2006 it seems just a little on the poor side. Especially knowing that the original music was better.

Only one game. I mean, couldn't they have thrown Frogger II on there as well? Cheapskates.  :P

Too many logo screens. If I have to cycle through one more "Konami", "Majesco", or "Whoever" screen, I'm going to throttle someone.

Oddities:

What's with the two buttons? All they do is make you hop forward, guaranteeing that you'll kill yourself in the process. I'm guessing that this is a generic Nintendo stick, and the buttons are for other games.

All in all, it's a nice purchase, but don't count on recreating anything more than you can get on a Nintendo.

992285[/snapback]

I just picked up this stick at WalMart for $5. After reading the review...I'm wondering if I should take it back.

Answer me one question, though...since you have one. How are the game sounds? I'm not refering to the music, I kinda gathered how you felt about that. I can live with it(I suppose) if the actual game sounds are close.

I actually hate taking back opened items that have no defects. They just get ash-canned(at least, most of the time). I'll wait until I hear about the game sounds before I do anything with it.

Thanks.

I just picked up this stick at WalMart for $5. After reading the review...I'm wondering if I should take it back.

Answer me one question, though...since you have one. How are the game sounds? I'm not refering to the music, I kinda gathered how you felt about that. I can live with it(I suppose) if the actual game sounds are close.

I actually hate taking back opened items that have no defects. They just get ash-canned(at least, most of the time). I'll wait until I hear about the game sounds before I do anything with it.

Thanks.

1004339[/snapback]

As far as I'm concerned, the sounds are fine. Like I said, it's not a bad purchase. My kids have a lot of fun playing it. It's just that it stands out that it's the Nintendo version rather than the Arcade version. If you got it for $5, I'd say you probably got a good deal for it. :)

I see what you mean. It's decent...at least the grfx are good. I gotta admit, the game is hard as $+!+. But, at least it's got a *MAJOR* feature that I love......

PAUSE BUTTON

I love that feature....and I really wish all of the PnP's had this. Well, this, and actually being able to keep high-scores after you turn it off. :x

All in all, I'd have to agree with you, I did get a deal.

You have to be carefull, though...WalMart is "clearance pricing" stuff...and the Ms.Pac-Man stick with the game-keys is actually $.04 higher clearanced, than it was retail. Can someone explain to me how that one works?

I see what you mean. It's decent...at least the grfx are good. I gotta admit, the game is hard as $+!+. But, at least it's got a *MAJOR* feature that I love......

PAUSE BUTTON

I love that feature....and I really wish all of the PnP's had this.

1004446[/snapback]

Most people don't realize it, but you can pause most of the Jakks PNPs by hitting the "Menu" button on the front. To unpause, select "Resume Game". Since Frogger is actually a Nintendo game, the pause button is much more intuitive.

Glad you like the game! It's hard to argue with $5 for it. :)

Let me put it this way: if you're the type of person who feels there are "correct" songs in Frogger, you will be disappointed in this unit.

So, are you saying it doesn't have the correct songs? No Camptown Races, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and all that? Or is it not playing songs at all? Or just the intro/level complete/game over like on the Atari 2600? I've never played the NES version (didn't even know there was one).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks!

Just FYI-these things are currently being clearanced at everyone's favorite big box discount store. That's right, Wal-Mart is unloading them for a whopping $4.88. I picked up one and it's almost worth $4.88. The gameplay is similar enough, but it looks harsh. The graphics are'nt as bad you might think, but they are not that great either. They sort of remind me of the type of graphics you might find in a no-name clone for a home pc (insert favorite early nineties home computer here.)

The sound is, hmm, there. The controller feels REALLY, REALLY cheap though I do appreciate the rather large knob. Also, having to press the silly green button on top several times to go from screen to screen JUST TO GET TO THE FREAKING game was very annoying.

I am pretty mystified that they release this turkey solo AND another that includes THIS VERY GAME AND several others for the same price. DUMB, DE DUMB DUMB.

I'm usually pretty easy on these things-i.e. I usually like them-but this one, well, I just don't feel the love.

At least I only paid $4.88 (plus tax) for the thing.

At least there's something to be said for the built-in Pause feature, and for the simplicity of going directly into the game without dealing with a game selection menu (although the startup splash screens are very annoying). I bought one of these for my three-year-old niece, who loves Frogger and always wants to play it in MAME with me whenever she comes to visit. The TV-game version isn't perfect, and she obviously isn't very good at it yet anyway, but she loved getting a handheld version of her own to play with. I guess they're not too discriminating at that age. :)

I also thought the inclusion of the tiny little green button was odd considering that there are already two larger buttons that are mapped to the directionals (or something equally worthless). They should have used these instead and left the green button off altogether, but this was probably a generic stick design that was meant to accomodate many different games.