IGNORED

Best Arcade Port ...

welshleo

The 2600 was not blessed with the best arcade conversions on the planet but a few to my mind stand out.

My all time gave port of Galaxians is the 2600 version. That game really shows what can be achieved on this simple machine.

Ms. Pac-Man was also pretty damned good. Berzerk, while not being 100% accurate (the robots don't shoot diagonally, which makes the game too easy) is also pretty good - that was the first game I got for the old VCS.

I'm glad someone mentioned Star Tek:SOS. I've always really enjoyed that cart, and thought that it was a nice port of the arcade game, given the 2600's limitations. Defender II is an exceptional 2600 port. When I got that cart, I was very pleasantly surprised by the graphics and game play. Ms. Pac-Man was very good as well.

My personal vote for best arcade port would go to Parker Brothers' Star Wars:The Arcade Game. What the programmers achieved with that cart was nothing short of amazing. For the 2600, the vector-like graphics and similarity in play to the arcade version are outstanding. Definitely one of the best arcade ports available.

It's funny you should mention Star Wars. I remember rushing off an order to Silica Shop here in the UK when I received their catalogue and flyers about the game (Parker had also just released Frogger: Threedeep). Unfortunately the limited stock they had had run out before I got my order in. As a result I've never played it ... although it might be an idea for me to take a look at it on an emulator.

Star Wars on the Atari 8-bit, however, was pants!! It easily rated as one of the WORST arcade conversions on that system.

quote:

Originally posted by Mountain King:

Take a look at Stargate/Defender 2. I think Atari did a darn good job at porting that game. Star Treks to too bad either. Kudos to Sega for that one.

In order:

1 Stargate/Defender 2

2 Frogger

3 Mouse Trap

quote:

Originally posted by Nateo:

Defender II for the 2600 is more like the arcade version than the NES version is (the NES version didn't have hyperspace or inviso)

Berzerk was also very well done for the 2600.

Didn't defender 2 on the NES have the Punch-Out! music as well?

No... Double Dragon is not the best port of an arcade game for the 2600. Maybe the most unplayable port, but not even close to the best. The previous ones mentioned, Stargate, Ms. Pac Man, Frogger and Star Trek: SOS. They all closely adhere to their originals. I will put in as the most amazing translation Crossbow. Frankly, I never thought this gun game would ever translate well, however, the 2600 got the gameplay down. A real hard game, too.

This might sound strange, but I vastly prefer 2600 Space Invaders over the arcade original. It's more interesting, especially with all the variations.

Anyway, by the "best" translation, I assume you want the "closest," so I'd vote for Stargate and Frogger as well...although Missile Command and Joust are also pretty damn good.

CF

Like I always say, Space Invaders on the 2600 is a good game, but it's not a good port of the arcade. They're far too different and the 2600 version (although it has a huge # of variations of it's own) lost a lot of the tricks you could do in the arcade as well.

And sure you can say you prefer the 2600 version over the arcade, but if you call it a good port, you might as well call Intellivision's "Space Armada" a good port also.. along with every other space invader variant of the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

True that, but with just a tiny amount of hacking...SI is very close to the arcade game (less tricks, of course...always missed the rainbow bonus in the home game).

Yeah I'm the one who did that hack a couple years ago. However, More so than the rainbow trick, 2600 space invaders didn't have counting shots, and the ufo was only a single point value! What's up with that? Also I missed not doing the "wall of death" where on the lowest levels, the invaders couldn't shoot. Anyway, again they're pretty different games gameplay wise, but obviously similar games conceptually.

Krytol: Some people think so, but I obviously think otherwise. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVED 2600 Space Invaders but naturally nothing beats the original.

Adrian: oh yeah! Good choices. Gravitar, Jr. Pac-Man, and Vanguard were awesome ports.

How come no one remembers Pengo? Not a big hit in the arcades, but an extremely faithful and highly enjoyable port to the 2600.

Gravitar, Jr. Pac-Man, and Vanguard were three other minor "B-list" arcade games that were pretty damn well done on the 2600.

I can't believe so many people mentioned frogger. Frogger really sucked! Now supercharger Frogger, is hands down the most faithfull arcade conversion. Even the music is there. Its amazing what they were able to accomplish with the sc.

1)SC Frogger

2)Stargate

and in no particular order, missile command, dodgem, breakout, kaboom (though not an offical port but a blatent knockoff of an exidy game?)joust and Space Invaders.

Chris