IGNORED

Best ST paint program?

Zeptari

Degas and Spectrum512 are the only two I used back in the day.

Did anything better come out in the later ST days?

BTW is there a way to convert jpg's to the Spectrum .spc file format?

thanks

990056[/snapback]

Neochrome Master, it's an enhanced version of Neochrome, the Master version got a zoomer in overscan, can displays rasters (3200 colors !) and a lof of good things.

GT Turbo (C.V.S.D. and Jagware) ;)

I have/had one called "Prism Paint" that quickly became my favorite, been a while since I used my ST though, but compared to Neo Master this was much better.

I remember it had very impressive zoom features

I had both versions 1.5 and 2.0, but would recommend 1.5 over it's predecessor for it's better menu interface :D

Degas and Spectrum512 are the only two I used back in the day.

Did anything better come out in the later ST days?

BTW is there a way to convert jpg's to the Spectrum .spc file format?

thanks

990056[/snapback]

Neochrome Master, it's an enhanced version of Neochrome, the Master version got a zoomer in overscan, can displays rasters (3200 colors !) and a lof of good things.

GT Turbo (C.V.S.D. and Jagware) ;)

990226[/snapback]

Here's another vote for NeoChrome, I highly recommend it too!

I use Neochrome Master and Spectrum the most, but I also use Degas, Deluxe paint and cyberpaint too. If I ever got a Falcon or TT I'd want Prism paint to take advantage of the advanced graphics though. But the best Graphics I've seen on a standard ST is Spectrum 512. Though I didn't know Neochrome master could use 32000 colors with rasters or whatever, I thought it only used the enhanced 4096 color pallette of the STE's, but was still limited to 16 colors per scan lline, unlike Spectrum which can have 48. But I never read the docs for NeoChrome Master, guess I'll have to look into that.

As for transfering .jpg to .spu/.spc format, I think you need to transfer it to a .bmp or other image that Spectrum and other programs can read, or as well as the Amiga formats, etc. then go to .spu from that format.

These days you have to be ready for converting stuff from ST formats to more widespread ones, like PNG, GIF, JPEG or TGA.

So I think that a conversion program is a must, whatever painting program you use.

My choices are:

Zview for viewing/converting

Photoline for drawing/editing.

I used other programs, but I am stuck to Phtoline now because of the supported formats, and the ability to edit in any resolution without modifying the original colou depth.

Oh, and of course for the speed and the features. Sometimes I did things that people using photoshop couldn't do so fast. :)

I'd like to step in Smurf, but I can't find an easy 'distribution'...

These days you have to be ready for converting stuff from ST formats to more widespread ones, like PNG, GIF, JPEG or TGA.

So I think that a conversion program is a must, whatever painting program you use.

My choices are:

Zview for viewing/converting

Photoline for drawing/editing.

I used other programs, but I am stuck to Phtoline now because of the supported formats, and the ability to edit in any resolution without modifying the original colou depth.

Oh, and of course for the speed and the features. Sometimes I did things that people using photoshop couldn't do so fast. :)

I'd like to step in Smurf, but I can't find an easy 'distribution'...

990731[/snapback]

I have an excellent "conversion" program. It's actually the 'Vidi-ST (12)' 12-bit(4096) RGB digitizer(software and cartridge) that excepts video and S-video signals for digitization. Anyway, this nifty program supports all those formats as well as RGB exclusive and all the usual ST ones like degas, Neochrom, spectrum, etc. so I just load a picture up into it, can display it and edit it and save it in any of the above formats for PC compatibility and vice-versa. Between Vidi-ST and Photoshop on the PC, I easily convert for cross-platform all the time. Though for most the conversion programs might be easier to find than my digitizer.

Edited by Gunstar

Gunstar, I had a (probably) previous version of Vidi-ST, which can only digitize in 8 shades or 16 false colours, and accept only composite video.

I haven't used it in ages, but, IIRC, I could only save as Degas files.

I remember having fun by putting colour filters in front of my camera and then mix the pictures in order to obtain a 16 colours file.

About conversions: I use Xnview on my PC, and it can read almost ANY atari format (along with any other known format in the world). I used the Atari version, but without a graphics interface it is a bit tough to use. Then Zview came out on Atari (Thanks, Zorro!) and I never looked back.

Right now I am downloading Xnview for my Mac, too, although Mac's internal viewers are good enough.

Gunstar, I had a (probably) previous version of Vidi-ST, which can only digitize in 8 shades or 16 false colours, and accept only composite video.

I haven't used it in ages, but, IIRC, I could only save as Degas files.

I remember having fun by putting colour filters in front of my camera and then mix the pictures in order to obtain a 16 colours file.

About conversions: I use Xnview on my PC, and it can read almost ANY atari format (along with any other known format in the world). I used the Atari version, but without a graphics interface it is a bit tough to use. Then Zview came out on Atari (Thanks, Zorro!) and I never looked back.

Right now I am downloading Xnview for my Mac, too, although Mac's internal viewers are good enough.

990812[/snapback]

Imagecopy is still a handy program as well... Lots of good choices mentioned here. I've been using Zview on my CT60 Falcon, and like you, I think it rocks. :-)

I have an excellent "conversion" program. It's actually the 'Vidi-ST (12)' 12-bit(4096) RGB digitizer(software and cartridge) that excepts video and S-video signals for digitization.

If it doesn't accept video or S-video, what's it good for?

990896[/snapback]

Hehehe... I think that Gunstar meant "accepts" for "excepts"... :-)

I use Neochrome Master and Spectrum the most, but I also use Degas, Deluxe paint and cyberpaint too. If I ever got a Falcon or TT I'd want Prism paint to take advantage of the advanced graphics though. But the best Graphics I've seen on a standard ST is Spectrum 512. Though I didn't know Neochrome master could use 32000 colors with rasters or whatever, I thought it only used the enhanced 4096 color pallette of the STE's, but was still limited to 16 colors per scan lline, unlike Spectrum which can have 48. But I never read the docs for NeoChrome Master, guess I'll have to look into that.

As for transfering .jpg to .spu/.spc format, I think you need to transfer it to a .bmp or other image that Spectrum and other programs can read, or as well as the Amiga formats, etc. then go to .spu from that format.

990559[/snapback]

I'd like to get a Falcon myself. I've had a hard time finding info about it on the net.

It's hard to get excited about getting one when I can't find any info about Falcon hardware of software.

Like, can i display all of the falcon's color and rez modes on a standerd (sc1224)ST monitor?

Please don't blast me. I was a big ST fan back in the day.... but the Falcon I know almost zero about. I just wanna make sure it's worth the $$$ for one first.

ohh about the graphic transfer thing.... I just load a windows program like paint shop pro and save my image out as a .bmp and then i can load it into spectrum512?

Thanks for the info guys!

There is lot of paint programs on ST. I like CrackArt, CyberPaint or Deluxe Paint. For conversion between various format you can try GEM-View or Look'n'See.

BTW on dhs page is giant list with downloads

990240[/snapback]

Thanks for the link!

It'll be fun to mess around with all these other paint programs I've never heard of.

I only used Neochorme and Degas back in the day....

I wish i still had all the disk full of picture's i drew back then. :(

990559[/snapback]

I'd like to get a Falcon myself. I've had a hard time finding info about it on the net.

It's hard to get excited about getting one when I can't find any info about Falcon hardware of software.

Like, can i display all of the falcon's color and rez modes on a standerd (sc1224)ST monitor?

Please don't blast me. I was a big ST fan back in the day.... but the Falcon I know almost zero about. I just wanna make sure it's worth the $$$ for one first.

ohh about the graphic transfer thing.... I just load a windows program like paint shop pro and save my image out as a .bmp and then i can load it into spectrum512?

Thanks for the info guys!

991033[/snapback]

Nobody knows as much as they want about the falcon except for the lucky few who own one. But, I do know that with an SC1224 you can only access the standard ST low&medium resolutions. For the Falcon resolutions you need a VGA monitor which requires a $25 falcon-to-VGA adapter. But, if you get the adapter and use a VGA monitor, you can access ALL the graphic resolutions, including the ST's. It's mostly a computer for artists, musicians and programmers though, if you want it just for game you will be disappointed as there are only about 10-20 Falcon specific games ever released, though most are very good and worth the price of a Falcon to play (from what I understand).

I have an excellent "conversion" program. It's actually the 'Vidi-ST (12)' 12-bit(4096) RGB digitizer(software and cartridge) that excepts video and S-video signals for digitization.

990896[/snapback]

:? what are you talking about?

Edited by Gunstar

990896[/snapback]

990900[/snapback]

Ahh...now I understand his little muse...whatever :roll: Yeah, I meant accepts, I mix the two up often when I'm typing at the speed-of-thought. Sorry. Jerks. :P

I had an "argument" on AA once that was getting heated and the guy used my mistake of typing "excepts" in the place of "accepts" as fodder to try and flame his end of the flame-war, but I knew it was just a tactic left to the desperate anyway...you know, the usual, stale, political spin-doctering that occurs when a political official mis-spells or mis-uses a word by accident. They try to make them out to be the "fool." Mistakes happen. Everyone mis-spells or uses words wrong once in a while. Most people realise this and ignore it, except those out to get the person. Now I'm paranoid...I think Zylon's Bane is out to get me... :(

Edited by Gunstar

990896[/snapback]

990900[/snapback]

Ahh...now I understand his little muse...whatever :roll: Yeah, I meant accepts, I mix the two up often when I'm typing at the speed-of-thought. Sorry. Jerks. :P

I had an "argument" on AA once that was getting heated and the guy used my mistake of typing "excepts" in the place of "accepts" as fodder to try and flame his end of the flame-war, but I knew it was just a tactic left to the desperate anyway...you know, the usual, stale, political spin-doctering that occurs when a political official mis-spells or mis-uses a word by accident. They try to make them out to be the "fool." Mistakes happen. Everyone mis-spells or uses words wrong once in a while. Most people realise this and ignore it, except those out to get the person. Now I'm paranoid...I think Zylon's Bane is out to get me... :(

991200[/snapback]

Don't take it personally. He's like that with everybody. :)

Allan

Everyone mis-spells or uses words wrong once in a while. Most people realise this and ignore it, except those out to get the person. Now I'm paranoid...I think Zylon's Bane is out to get me... :(

I normally ignore typos too, but accept/except isn't a typo, it's a completely different word. Worse, it's a word that means the opposite of the intended word. And I see this mistake made a lot. Almost as much as lose/loose (which, while fracking annoying, is at least understandable).

Everyone mis-spells or uses words wrong once in a while. Most people realise this and ignore it, except those out to get the person. Now I'm paranoid...I think Zylon's Bane is out to get me... :(

I normally ignore typos too, but accept/except isn't a typo, it's a completely different word. Worse, it's a word that means the opposite of the intended word. And I see this mistake made a lot. Almost as much as lose/loose (which, while fracking annoying, is at least understandable).

991295[/snapback]

I never called it a "typo" those are YOUR words. Yes they are completely different words, which mean different things, but they are certainly NOT opposites in any way shape or form. You better get a dictionary. My use of the word "except" instead of "accept" just made what I said make no sense, not make it mean the opposite. An opposite for 'accept' would be 'refuse' and an opposite for 'except' would be 'include'. So before you start making fun of my errors and making an example of them, maybe, just maybe you should know what you are talking about yourself first! :roll:

Edited by Gunstar