IGNORED

SEGA Star Wars arcade - ever seen it in real life?

Flojomojo

I've seen more than 2 in Arcades in Blackpool UK.Probably not there anymore because it's a busy resort and the arcades are pretty good at rotating cabinets.However there's a huge warehouse in Blackpool that sells them .Yellow pages for the Fylde area had the company listed.I live in the USA now though.

Well, if it is exactly the same game as the 32X version then I can tell you I think it is pretty fun. I bought the 32X for this game and the Virtua ports, and was thrilled even with the D-pad controls of the Genesis. I imagine it would be even better with the stick and throttle I think I see in that photo.

It is basically the graphics of X-wing on the PC, with a quick arcade shooter feel instead of the "space sim" design. Each mission is straightforward and objective-based, but a heck of a lot of fun and dang hard, too.

997996[/snapback]

Well yeah dah the arcades are always better. Definitely one of the few good ports in the short lived around a 40 game library.

I'm glad I gave the genny it's bulky addon upgrades asway to my nephew. Just too many wires and adapters. Never needed that stupid metal plate either.

We actually got to work on one of these machines at the store I work at. Granted, all we as a TV repair store were able to work on was the TV portion of it, but they brought in the whole thing so we could test it......guess who got to be the one to test it. :)

We have a single player sit down cockpit version located in two different movie theatres here in Tulsa alone. One can be found at the Tulsa Cinemark/IMAX theatre. The other I believe is at our AMC 20 at 41st and Yale. They look really cool, especially the part with the battle with Darth Vader...but it is damn hard and usually the controller is heavily worn from lots of other play.

994131[/snapback]

The next time I'm in Tulsa, point me to one. It's now officially on my "to do" list. :D

I know it's not the rare 32x version game, but I wished they had released Star Wars Trilogy for the Dreamcast. It ran on Naomi hardware and they were releasing all the other Naomi games at that time like 18 Wheel Trucker/F335 etc.. It seemed like a no brainer. Anyone know why it wasn't ported over?

1009906[/snapback]

There were lots of rumors at the time. Man, I wanted it to be ported bad! would have been fun to play @ home.

Dumb question, but since the hardware is so similar, how hard would it be to port from the arcade rom?

Edit: just looked up some specifics of the Naomi hardware. Seems the biggest difference is memory...

Edited by Lord Helmet

• 3 weeks later...

There was one in Fargo at Space Aliens last year. Played it with my brother and we got to the last stage but our food was up so we let a few little kids finish the game for us. Pretty fun but just like the 32x version. I found that it works a hell of a lot better if you have two people playing it through.

Drewman21

I seen and played it when it first came out in China Town arcade place where its one of the last place in NY anyway you can fine both old and new arcade from Street Fighter 3 to old Ms Pac-Man and even some pinballs. And yes I did play Sega Star Wars Arcade and it was more fun playing it alone then having a second player as co-pilot.

• 2 months later...
There's one in Disneyland in California.

It is still an impressive game.

yep, this is a impressive game for sure..i have the version of this for the import dreamcast.. but playing this sucker in the actual arcade is awesome..theres this place in schaumberg that had it and the lines were always long for this one...but it was worth it!

• 13 years later...

When I visit Galloping Ghost arcade, I try and mean try to get a good game in. I know it's trying to go for that feel of piloting a ship, it's the sensitivity of the controls is just a big downer for me. Almost a point of being more frustrated than enjoying the game itself.

The Trilogy version, also made by Sega, is leaps and bounds better albeit its a "on the rails" style of gameplay. 

• Thanks 1

Heheh, thanks you guys for the necro-bump from a 2006 post! I still haven't seen this game in person, though I haven't been looking very hard. 

I now know that it is at Galloping Ghost along with just about every other classic Star Wars arcade video game. 

I've got to get out there someday. They have: 

It occurs to me that I don't think I've played Empire Strikes Back on real hardware either, unless you count the emulated 1Up version I have at home now. 

I recently read that Star Wars Battle Pod is fully emulated, but it needs this sketchy-looking root-level service. I might make a boot drive to give it a go. 

• Like 1