IGNORED

Centipede or Millipede?

sandmountainslim

The "What games have you played?" thread brought this question to mind, Which is your favourite VCS arcade translation between Centipede and Millipede? I personally prefer Millipede as it is more difficult and to me the graphics are better. Whats yer poison?

Edited by sandmountainslim

Between the two on the Atari 2600, I like Centipede better. Millipede looks like it has worse graphics to me when you compare them.

I don't like either one that much because I imagined back then that the mushrooms would be like the shields in Space Invaders where little pieces would be knocked out (even if the damage wasn't in the exact spot where you hit it). I guess that was asking too much of the Atari.

• Like 1

Judging them as translations of the arcade games, they're both about equal. If I had to give the edge to one of them, I'd go with Millipede, as it's just amazing that they were able to shoehorn just nearly all of the arcade game's elements into that cartridge, with all the distinctive sounds, while retaining the speed and general "feel" of the arcade game. Although not quite as frantic, Centipede was also a highly competent translation, and like Millipede, it deserves a place in your 2600 game collection. Enjoy both of them!

• Like 1

Judging them as translations of the arcade games, they're both about equal. If I had to give the edge to one of them, I'd go with Millipede, as it's just amazing that they were able to shoehorn just nearly all of the arcade game's elements into that cartridge, with all the distinctive sounds, while retaining the speed and general "feel" of the arcade game. Although not quite as frantic, Centipede was also a highly competent translation, and like Millipede, it deserves a place in your 2600 game collection. Enjoy both of them!

994204[/snapback]

Yep, I like 'em both.

I liked arcade Centipede the most because my quarters lasted a long time. If you knew how to stack the mushrooms you could go forever. It was as good as hunting saucers in Asteroids. Millipede eliminated this trick much like Asteroids Deluxe eliminated hunting. As a result, both games were less successful than the originals.

At home, quarters aren't an issue. Millipede is a deeper game and more fun to play in quick rounds. I don't even get interested in a game of Centipede until a good hundred fleas have fallen.

Millipede, not only for being a better game, but also being a better translation.

This is not to take away from Centipede's laurels, but Millipede proved that Centipede could have been even more faithful to its arcade counterpart, particularly in the sound department; the sound of the flea/bee and the extra-life chime were skimped a bit in Centipede, but captured perfectly in Millipede.