SAP player for 8bit

3 replies to this topic

#1 krupkaj OFFLINE  

krupkaj

Stargunner

• 1,225 posts
  • from 8 to 64 and beyond

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006 3:45 AM

So we have new ASMA archive. That's great news. But is possible to play SAP files natively on 8 bit machine? I know the POKEY emulation is decent, but the real thing is real thing. I have heard that some player was written, but I have not seen it. Maybe I have just searched on bad places.

#2 Cybergoth OFFLINE  

Cybergoth

Quadrunner

• 8,888 posts
  • This is Sparta!

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006 4:33 AM

Hi there!

So we have new ASMA archive. That's great news. But is possible to play SAP files natively on 8 bit machine? I know the POKEY emulation is decent, but the real thing is real thing. I have heard that some player was written, but I have not seen it. Maybe I have just searched on bad places.

Considering the A8 guys stole everything from the C64 scene as usual, a player would just need to load the SAP file, call the init subroutine once and the play subroutine continuously once per frame ;)

Greetings,
Manuel

#3 miker OFFLINE  

miker

Stargunner

• 1,895 posts
  • Stay Atari!

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006 5:22 AM

@krupkaj

Yes, there's solution for you.

SAPemu, written by Epi some time ago (docs included).

Attached Files

#4 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 3,013 posts

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2006 5:25 PM

Alas,
the SAP-XE player by EPI is good - but not perfect...

1) memory usage: the PC program to generate & play SAP files assumes that on a 64k Atari all 64k are available for the sounds; since this is untrue, some SAP sounds use memory locations that are unavailable on a real Atari (e.g. the I/O-ports) and thus cannot be played with the SAP-XE player (you simply cannot use all 64k on a real A8). Next the SAP-XE player requires some RAM itself and thus a few more sounds will not playback... well, you have to live with that !!

2) DIRectory: the SAP-XE player does not have a directory option; since there are approx 2000 SAP files available, try to remember all their filenames !! Well, it would be nice to have an update with a dir. option included...

3) memory requirements: the doc. file of the SAP-XE player says, that the program requires 128k RAM - untrue !! I tested this on a real 130XE computer with 128k RAM and the SAP-XE player does not work there !! In fact, the program requires 128k XRAM or a total of 192k RAM (64k RAM + 128k eXtra RAM)... Well, it would be nice to have a player for 64k or at least 128k computers (192k is a little too much)...

At the moment I am converting 1800 SAP files to the A8. so far I have downloaded all of them, renamed all of the SAP files to 8.3 filenames and tested / checked approx. 1200 files if they play correct on a real A8. Think that less than 100 files did not play (and most of them were long files, especially digitized/sampled sounds)... So, Epi`s player is really good, but I would still like to see a small update for 128k machines and of course a Dir. option included... -Andreas.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users