IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

Super impressive port. Easily, one of the best arcade translations on the 2600. Really terrific work. However in all honestly, I was not very surprised. Anyone who has tried any of "ChampGames" arcade ports to the PC knows the quality work and incredible talent you display. I'm thankful you're generous enough to share it with the public. Thank you. Keep up the fantastic work!

-Trebor

This really is one of the most amazing 2600 arcade ports I have ever seen. Really.

And believe you me I know Ladybug now:.. I scored over 100k (coming in 1st) in a friendly Ladybug mame tournament over at digitpress only in March. And to get that score I played HOURS of Ladybug.. holy crap :lol:

But yeah, with that imprint of the game firmly in mind, this is friggin crazy to see how well it's being done on the 2600. Bravo sucka! :D

Edited by NE146

• 2 weeks later...

Damn... it's a safe bet that Coleco's own version of Ladybug wouldn't have been this good, had it been released. Very, very nicely done Johnny. All you need to do is squeeze in a few extra sound effects, and this game's ready for release as a cartridge!

I wish the NES would get this kind of love. Just think of all the arcade games that weren't ported to that system, or were ported badly (Defender II, anyone?). Why aren't more people making coin-op conversions like this one for the NES?

JR

I wish the NES would get this kind of love. Just think of all the arcade games that weren't ported to that system, or were ported badly (Defender II, anyone?). Why aren't more people making coin-op conversions like this one for the NES?

Because, as far as I know, there is no easy way to make carts.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Johnny,

Maybe it's a good idea to change the color of the doors to a slightly darker green.

The flicker is less annoying this way.

I'll see what it looks like - thanks for the suggestion!

Damn... it's a safe bet that Coleco's own version of Ladybug wouldn't have been this good, had it been released. Very, very nicely done Johnny. All you need to do is squeeze in a few extra sound effects, and this game's ready for release as a cartridge!

Thanks to PacmanPlus, the sounds/music are now in the hands of a professional and I must say they are fantastic. Game is 99% done right now - a release candidate should be ready soon.

I've never played the NES except for a game of Duck Hunt back in 1988 or so. Any games from me will be for the 2600 or the 5200. :)

Thanks again for the kind words and support!

Edited by johnnywc

Any ideas when this will be released on cart through the AA Store?

I am chompin at the bits to buy this one.

WP

Also cant wait to buy this one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gets in very long line :D

Line moves back one,"Dammit, someone just had a baby"(Futurama qoute)

Hello all,

Here is a public beta release for Lady Bug. An EXTRA SPECIAL ;) thanks to Nathan and Bob (PacManPlus) for the great graphics and awesome sounds!

To play:

From the title screen:

- use select or joystick (left/right) to select skill level:

NOVICE: 5 lives, slow timer, color change is equal for all 3 colors, bugs move slow

STANDARD: 4 lives, normal timer, color change per the arcade, bugs move at a normal speed

ADVANCED: 3 lives, fast timer, fast bugs, first bug starts out of the pen

Press button or reset to start. Demo kicks in after 16 seconds (or GAME OVER screen if a game has been played).

From the start screen, you can press the button to skip to the maze.

Press PAUSE or flip the color/bw switch to pause the game. To unpause, move joystick or press PAUSE/flip color/bw switch. Game will automatically unpause after 8+ minutes to stop burn-in.

Press button during the game to reset.

Use the difficulty switches to control the brightness of the maze and doors (comments on which is better, especially on real hardware, is appreciated):

B B Darkest maze

A B Dark maze

B A Bright maze

A A Brightest maze

-Collect all of the flowers (dashes), letters and hearts to move to the next level.

-Avoid colliding with insects.

-Collect hearts when they are BLUE to increase point multiplier.

-Collect letters when they are YELLOW to spell EXTRA. When EXTRA is spelled, an additional lady bug is awarded.

-Collect letters when they are RED to spell SPECIAL.

-Avoid skulls. Insects will be sent back to the pen if they collide with them.

After spelling SPECIAL, the VEGGIE BOUNTY HARVEST screen will start. Eat as many veggies as you can before the timer loops around!

After all 4 insects are on the screen, eat the veggie in the middle for big points and to pause the insects temporarily.

Game ends when all lady bug reserves are gone.

Please post any bugs/comments.

Have fun!

PS My high score is 252,000. :)

ladybug.bin

Edited by johnnywc

Great work, John! This is the kind of homebrew that you'd like to be able to take back in time to 1982 or '83, and watch people's jaws drop. :D

I've managed only about 59,000. But I almost cleared the Bamboo Shoot level. :)

I think having the fire button reset the game is kind of dangerous. If you accidentally hit it during a good game, that would be a "bad thing". :ponder:

Great work, John! This is the kind of homebrew that you'd like to be able to take back in time to 1982 or '83, and watch people's jaws drop. :D

Thanks Nathan!

I think having the fire button reset the game is kind of dangerous. If you accidentally hit it during a good game, that would be a "bad thing". :ponder:

Agreed. Here is the latest version:

- button doesn't reset in-game (although it will reset during the demo)

- pressing SELECT in-game will return to the title screen; fixed an issue that would advance the skill level if this was done

Thanks for the feedback!

ladybug.bin

Holy crap, this is incredible! It's even got the warm-up test from the arcade game... now THAT'S a faithful conversion!

Let's see... flaws, flaws... hmm, it may take a while to find one... all right, how's this? The cheery little sound effect that plays when you finish a maze seems to run a little too fast.

Speaking of things that end too quickly, I only ate two vegetables in the bonus round before I was torn away from the harvest and dropped into the next maze. You might want to give this part of the game a little playtesting and squash any bugs you might find before you begin manufacturing the cartridges.

Other than that, Ladybug is totally awesome on the 2600. It makes me glad that Coleco never released their version of the game, because I strongly doubt that it would have been as good as this one. All the nail-biting tension of the ColecoVision version is here, with the insects dashing around the maze at mach speed while your own mind races, trying to decide when it's safest to make a run for that last scratch in the corner of the screen.

I laughed, I cried, I raised my hands to the sky and screamed "HELL YEAH!" when I grabbed that last red letter I needed to enter the bonus round. Yep, it's the genuine Ladybug experience, all right.

JR

Hello,

Holy crap, this is incredible! It's even got the warm-up test from the arcade game... now THAT'S a faithful conversion!

Thanks! Glad you like it! :)

Let's see... flaws, flaws... hmm, it may take a while to find one... all right, how's this? The cheery little sound effect that plays when you finish a maze seems to run a little too fast.

I'll have my sound guy check into that... (thanks Bob! :))

Speaking of things that end too quickly, I only ate two vegetables in the bonus round before I was torn away from the harvest and dropped into the next maze. You might want to give this part of the game a little playtesting and squash any bugs you might find before you begin manufacturing the cartridges.

Thanks - I found a few issues with the bounty harvest:

- timer ran too quick after level 1 (it should be constant)

- item in first row was messed up sometimes

Both issues have been corrected. You'll have plenty of time to grab veggies now! :) Oh - and carts won't be produced for a while - this is meant as a public beta (I mistakenly called it a release candidate.. :))

I laughed, I cried, I raised my hands to the sky and screamed "HELL YEAH!" when I grabbed that last red letter I needed to enter the bonus round. Yep, it's the genuine Ladybug experience, all right.

Wow! Quite a review! :)

I just tried with z26 and it seems that the playfield reflection doesn't work initially. Pressing SELECT later on fixes that bug.

Thanks Thomas ... I've added an explicit set to CTRLPF at startup - hopefully that fixes it.

Here is the latest build:

EDIT: Fixed an issue with the maze color not matching from screen to screen if the diff. switches were used to brighten the color.

ladybug.bin

Edited by johnnywc