Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009 5:41 PM

Press Reset (F2) to start.

#252 Fangorn81 OFFLINE  

Fangorn81

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009 9:11 PM

Ha! duh!

I forgot that on these new mac keyboards, you have to hold the Fn key to use the function keys!!! It just keeps adjusting the brightness on my monitor otherwise.

Man I feel stupid.

Thanks though!

:)

Edited by Fangorn81, Sun Mar 8, 2009 9:11 PM.

#253 Yart OFFLINE  

Yart

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:53 PM

A little late I suppose but I absolutely have to comment on this.

Fantastic job! This is how Pac-Man SHOULD have been for the Atari 2600. After comparing the two, I concluded that there is no fair comparison. Yours is fun, and the old Atari one isn't.

When you finish this, I'd definitely buy a copy if you release it on cartridge! Maybe even two!

Keep up the excellent work!

#254 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• 8,576 posts
  • \m/

Posted Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:23 AM

Question - why does every 2600 version of Pac-Man use dashes instead of dots in the maze?

#255 Lord Helmet OFFLINE  

Lord Helmet

AtariAge Anomaly

• 9,879 posts

Posted Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:51 AM

Question - why does every 2600 version of Pac-Man use dashes instead of dots in the maze?

I believe it's because they use playfield graphics, which are low resolution.

#256 Nathan Strum ONLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 5,957 posts
  • Flickering

Posted Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:49 PM

Correct. The only way (I'm aware of) to use dots would be the way Cat Trax does it, which means some of the dots have to be offset vertically from each other, and take on the color of other onscreen objects.

The playfield graphics are limited to 40 pixels across the entire screen, so they end up looking like dashes.

I suppose it might be possible to use dots with something like the SuperCharger, but I don't know for certain.

#257 NinjaWarrior ONLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,304 posts

Posted Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:05 PM

I tryed the pac man4knew..

where's the music at the begening of the game..

Why is it flickering all the time

#258 Devin OFFLINE  

Devin

Moonsweeper

• 489 posts
  • Its all HCLR to me!

Posted Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:31 AM

Why is it flickering all the time

The Atari is very limited in what it can draw on the same line - actually only two 8-bit objects (player 0 and player 1). Atari games are line based - each scanline the television draws is independent of the last.

Anyway, the solution, which you see in a ton of games, is to draw the sprites every other frame. This is also the solution to the original Pac-Man. Pac-Man is drawn every time while only one ghost is one the screen at a time. This gives the ghosts the blinking effect.

This new version also blinks Pac-man. The developer could alternatively cycle the four ghosts (like the original) and make Pac-Man not blink (unless the fruit is onscreen).

#259 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,602 posts
  • Climber 5 Champion since Jan 2005

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 PM

This game is HARD!!
I cannot even manage to get to ten thousand points on it.
Is the difficulty ramped up on purpose?
Great lookin game.
Wp

#260 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,030 posts

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 PM

It's not "ramped up" at all. The objects are basically following the rules that the arcade game dictates (except for Clyde...not enough space to implement his behavior in the posted version).

@NinjaWarrior
Not enough space to add the startup tune in the posted version. I mentioned to Dennis that enough free space is had by using the lower 5 bits of the GFX tables that draw the edges of the screen (audio frequencies only use 5 bits)...and I believe that he adopted that suggestion. In addition, sprite flicker was used in the posted version because too much resources were consumed by the sprite multiplex routine to be able to add in everything else that he wanted to feature (so he used each of the sprite registers to do 3 of the 6 objects instead). Following additional program optimizations done since that version was posted, it might be possible to feature the multiplexing routine now (while keeping all of the program's existing features intact). AFAIK, he was in the middle of that decision when real life demanded more of his attention.

If the program were altered to use 8k banking, none of these would be an issue at all. But the goal was originally to see how faithful a 4k game could be to the arcade game (the last I'd seen of it, the flicker version was -really- close...aside from screen resolution, of course).

#261 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,602 posts

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:29 PM

It's not "ramped up" at all. The objects are basically following the rules that the arcade game dictates (except for Clyde...not enough space to implement his behavior in the posted version).

The blue time just seems shorter than what I am used to in Pac-Man.
That was what I meant by difficulty, also the monsters seem a bitter faster to me.
Wp

#262 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,602 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 AM

Ok I am now playing two different roms of this game.
The one I thought was difficult is the latest one in this thread located at
http://www.atariage....s...t&p=1668514
I found this version online at another site
http://www.pdroms.de/files/526/
I don't know how old this build is but it seems less difficult and for some reason pac moves a bit more smoothly than in the one I have been playing.
Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim, Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 AM.

#263 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,602 posts

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 PM

Since this game uses sprite movements found in the Arcade would the "Pac Man Patterns" work on this game if one knew them?
Wp

#264 Pacfan97 OFFLINE  

Pacfan97

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 PM

I Saw Pictures Of Ms. Pacman 4k!! You Need Too Make It Quickly!! Oh And Plus, Make Jr.Pacman 4k Too!! :evil:

#265 Pacfan97 OFFLINE  

Pacfan97

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 PM

Ms. Pac-Man 4k? :_(

Attached Thumbnails

• Posted Image 4.png
  • Posted Image 3.png
  • Posted Image 2.png
  • Posted Image.png

Edited by Pacfan97, Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:44 PM.

#266 Corby OFFLINE  

Corby

Dragonstomper

• 805 posts
  • AtariAge or NOTHING!!!

Posted Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 PM

DO IT OR ELSE!!!! :mad: :mad:

You know Pacfan97, you keep up with these demands, and will lose these talented programmers. They'll just pack up and say f--k it! It don't matter if your joking or not, we have some guys here who will chew up and spit you out my friend!!!! :|

Edited by corbysatarigame, Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 PM.

#267 Pacfan97 OFFLINE  

Pacfan97

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:53 AM

(Comment Removed)

Edited by Pacfan97, Sat Dec 5, 2009 1:10 PM.

#268 jwierer OFFLINE  

jwierer

Dragonstomper

• 889 posts

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 AM

troll.jpg

#269 Lord Helmet OFFLINE  

Lord Helmet

AtariAge Anomaly

• 9,879 posts

Posted Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 AM

Oh Gosh What A Dick!!! :o

Given your comment, I'd say you're looking in the mirror. Try using a little tact next time. It will get you a lot farther on these boards.

#270 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,178 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:09 PM

I've not been a big fan of Pac-Man, but with this project and the 7800 Pac-Man collection, I've been playing it quite a bit. I have to say that this version is very good, although I totally suck at it. Congrats on crunching this into 4k and thank you for making it available. :thumbsup:

This new version also blinks Pac-man. The developer could alternatively cycle the four ghosts (like the original) and make Pac-Man not blink (unless the fruit is onscreen).

I never minded the blinking ghosts in the original and thought it made them more like ghosts anyway since they look transparent. Personally, I'd prefer a solid Pac-Man and blinking ghosts, but I'm not being picky about it. This is great and fun to play.

Is the author still working on either the 4k or 8k version?

Edited by KevinMos3, Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:13 PM.

#271 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,285 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 9:25 AM

Massive Bump!!!

I appologize, but I just read on the storefront that Pacman 4k was coming to AtariAge following the Expo. I used the search function to find this thread. I have the "Pacman Arcade" cart, but this version of the game looks fabulous!

I'm assuming the 8k version never got produced, so I'm assuming no intro jingles and such. Is the final game really that difficult? I'm pretty good at VCS Ms Pacman, but I royally suck at Jr Pacman.

Either way, I'm buying this when it hits the store. I can't believe I never knew this game existed.

Kudos...

#272 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,285 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 9:26 AM

[Double post]

Edited by stardust4ever, Sun Oct 7, 2012 1:32 PM.

#273 PFL OFFLINE  

PFL

Dragonstomper

• 688 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 10:33 AM

Yep, that was a massive bump!

Does anyone know if the ROM in the OP the latest version or is it a different build that will be sold in the store?

#274 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,285 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:24 AM

Guys, I searched youtube and there are no relavent matches for Pacman 4k. Someone need to upload videos of this Pacman game.

#275 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,178 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012 11:19 AM

I'm also curious about which version will be sold. The latest one in the thread still blinked Pac-Man and I would like to have seen it updated to blink the ghosts more in order to blink Pac-Man none (as mentioned in post #270 above). Also, I don't remember about the latest one here, but in some versions vertical movement was too slow (due to not compensating for pixel width vs height).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users