IGNORED

Vectrex Issues -- Yes, That's Plural...

Atari Rescue Group

Ok, I've got issues with a couple of Vectrex consoles.

My brother got married a couple months ago and now doesn't want (or isn't allowed -- I haven't quite figured out which) to keep a couple of Vectrex consoles he's been sitting on. Both of them aren't working. He's left me with these and I need to do something with them.

Console #1 is boxed, looks nice, but doesn't power up at all -- controller for it doesn't seem to work when tested on another console. Console #2 powers up sometimes from some of the outlets in this house but then blanks out -- controller for it works ok but the stem of the joystick is snapped off below the threads.

I'll be moving in a month or two and they won't make the trip. Me fixing them isn't an option (I don't have the time nor a steady hand with a soldering gun.) So what should I do with them? Ebay as is? Separate or together? I don't see any auctions for non-working consoles so don't know if there is a market for them there.

Any interest around here? Any suggestions? I'd rather find a place for them to go than just toss them.

You can always try this forum's marketplace. The first machine, that won't turn on, might just have a bad fuse or something. I'm sure that there's someone here who would like to take a whack at buying one cheap and fixing it themselves.

Erm, what kinds of games did he give you with them? Or did you get any at all?

They ought to be fixable, or at least help fix another unit. Like Steve says, the one that doesn't start up at all could be just the fuse. (I knew someone who had two of them way back when, and they both blew fuses... those things sure are a pain to take apart to get at the fuse!) Since your profile says you're in California, I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a buyer.

Thanks all for the comments.

I wrote that first post after a call to my brother to see what he knew about them -- his brain is apparenty gone after his wedding: Further inspection revealed a note he had in the boxed one that says it works intermittently. So they must be the opposite of what I wrote in the first post.

There's a Solar Quest cartridge, but I don't see any others.

The box is in nice shape except for a triangle shaped tear (1.5" each side) that is on the front panel (on the black side panel of the console picture) -- the paper is still attached though.

The dead one I should get on the Marketplace forum -- hopefully someone can use it. I'll probably put the boxed one on ebay. I guess with a built-in handle on the thing not so many boxes survived.