IGNORED

VCS 2600 ICs

A.J. Franzman

I'm repairing some 2600 motherboards and consoles and need the following:

2 TIA "Stella" CO10444(D)

1 RIOT/PIA 6532 CO10750

I would also welcome additional quantity, perhaps 2 more TIAs, a RIOT and a CPU (6507 CO10745) for spares.

IMO Best Electronics prices are on the high side (cost for just a set of 3 chips exceeds the typical eBay value of a complete working console). Vintage Fun World has great prices but no TIAs in stock. Also, they once sold me a dead RIOT pressed into ordinary white styrofoam, so I don't deal with them anymore.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

2 TIA "Stella" CO10444

1 RIOT/PIA 6532 CO10750

I would also welcome additional quantity, perhaps 2 more TIAs, a RIOT and a CPU (6507 CO10745) for spares.

IMO Best Electronics prices are on the high side (cost for just a set of 3 chips exceeds the typical eBay value of a complete working console). Vintage Fun World has great prices but no TIAs in stock. Also, they once sold me a dead RIOT pressed into ordinary white styrofoam, so I don't deal with them anymore.

1000446[/snapback]

I have two 6532 RIOT and many 6507 CPU on hand, $5 each shipped.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have an extra Stella chip I bought from BE a long time ago. It turned out to not be the problem so it is just sitting here in it's static case. If interested send me a PM. I'd be willing to let it go for less than I bought it for (which I don't remember right now) since I don't really have any use for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 TIA "Stella" CO10444(D)

1 RIOT/PIA 6532 CO10750

AJ, I wish that you had told me that one of the RIOT chips didn't work. I would have sent you a replacement. BTW, all chips are shipped inside anti-static bags so it should not matter if they are pressed into styrofoam. The styrofoam is used to keep the pins from bending in shipment.

BTW, all chips are shipped inside anti-static bags so it should not matter if they are pressed into styrofoam. The styrofoam is used to keep the pins from bending in shipment.

I don't remember for sure if the chip in question was in an anti-static bag or not (I think not), but that's not the problem. The very act of touching the pins to a highly static-producing material like styrofoam could have been enough to kill the chip, let alone pressing the chip into it.

Obviously you don't understand much about ESD damage, its causes, and how to properly protect against it.

If you don't have at the very least a grounding wriststrap to use when handling the chips, IMO you should get one. Conductive foam would be far better than what I got, but if you don't have any and can't afford it or don't want to bother with it, simply putting a layer of aluminum foil over the white foam and touching the foil while pressing the chip into it and while you're also grounded would be a suitable alternative. Once the chip's pins have all punctured the foil there's very little chance of any ESD damage occurring. Doing the chip handling on a grounded, conductive worksurface would give additional protection.