IGNORED

Most rewarding in-game 2600 moments

Chris++

- Getting a perfect score in Pitfall II

- Discovering that Alligator People was really Planet of the Apes

- Beating Raiders of the Lost Ark (with the help of a friend)

- Rolling the score in Asteroids

- Coming within 800 points of Rolling the score in Xenophobe (so damn close!)

- Getting the entire floor in my college dorm to play Atari.

And of course finding all those little differences in the prototypes I own. I find that the most rewarding thing of all.

Tempest

Beating ROTLA when I was like 13 with no help.

Discovering the joy of "frying" when I was about 11.

Clearing both Breakout screens for the first time.

Killing the beast in Krull.

Playing Swordquest and getting a clue!!!! Back when the contest was still going on.

My best in 2600 land (my best moments are usually 7800 moments):

1) Bringing my Atari into into my college res hall common area, and plugging in Kaboom. Then, hearing their shouts of "whoa, that's impossible" at level 3. Then at level 4. Then watching jaws drop at level 5. Then hearing excited euphamisms of disbelief at level 6 ("holy cow!" (but it wasn't a cow))! The same for level 7. And then 8. Finally, after losing my last bucket, turning around to see their astonished faces, and leaving to get a burger.

2) Any time I ever finish Pitfall 2 prefectly. I sleep very well on those nights. And on those nights where I miss it by a couple pixels, it just frustrates the hell out of me

-John K. Harvey

The "most frustrating..." thread was so much fun, and I laughed out loud while reading of so many experiences with which I immediately identified, that I thought this would be an appropriate companion thread.

Once again, mine is a tie: Finally getting the goddamn spaceship to land and pick up E.T. without being driven away by the onscreen presence of a baddie, and successfully "locking" the bat in the yellow castle in Adventure. Oh, yeah -- and getting the crown to the top of the mountain in Mountain King...and...and...

CF

scoring 10,000 at Kaboom!...

beating ROTLA (this is also the most disapointing moment 2 seconds after)

Beating Pitfall II (2600) for the first time.. (before I discovered those wonderful maps of Ben's)

and the most rewarding moment?? convincing my mom and dad (back in the day) to play Decatholon to a finish.. (they held that over me for a loooooong time)

- Getting a perfect score on Pitfall II (achieved only once)

- The first time I solved ROTLA

- The first time I slayed the Dragon in Dragonstomper. (Took me a LONG time to do.)

- My first game of 2600 Tapper. The arcade game was a favorite and I never knew this game was released until the day I saw it in the store. I raced to the bank, withdrew some $$$ and played the Hell out of it all day. It's not exactly a gameplay achievement, but it *was* rewarding.

Geesh, my memories pale in comparison to the things you guys have done.. Some of mine are:

Getting through all 4 fruit on Spider Fighter and starting back at the Oarnges.

Finding the secret hiding place under the rug in Sneak and Peek..

Rolling the thing in Video pinball back to zero that adds 100 points to the bumpers each time you hit it.

Beating Adventure (On the easy level 1) with my eyes shut.

Playing Star Trek for hours on end and never dying.

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Joel D. Park ]

quote:

Originally posted by Atariken64:

for me it was gettiing the score in missile command to flip over TWICE! keep in mind i was also 7 when i did it, me-mor-ies.

Ever watched kids these days? Ever had your ass kicked by a four year-old playing Crash Bandicoot on a PSX?

Like everyone else it seems, my own most rewarding moments include completing ROTLA without any help.

Also:

Completing first three levels of Galaxians (easily one of the most playable versions of the game on ANY platform) with maximum possible score.

Positioning the guy in Berzerk to perfection so that the robot's laser travels through the gap between the head and body without zapping him!

*Sigh* They certainly don't make games like they used to. That's why I'm playing games like Space Invaders and Pang on MAME a lot these days.

Time the big boys got back to basics!

Flipping the score on Space Invaders or Playing Swordquest and getting a clue!!!!

Page 16 picture 4 Back when the contest was still going on. - Beating Raiders of the Lost Ark - Destroying all the baddies in Star Raiders even thou I lost my Star Base.

Ringing the tower after shooting my man through the moving window on cannon ball.

originally posted by Tempest-

Discovering that Alligator People was really Planet of the Apes  

I'd say thats quite a thrill.

For me it has to be

1)Rolling Home run

2)Being asked what an Atari is, and being the only one in school that can explain it right.

3)Hitting the rocks that the little indians throw at you in Crossbow.