Photo

2600 to digital television

11 replies to this topic

#1 Galaga_Freak OFFLINE  

Galaga_Freak

Chopper Commander

• 179 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:57 PM

This topic may be a bit premature, but it's been bugging me for a while now, so...

Is there a way to convert the atari's analog video and audio to a digital signal capable of display on a modern tv?

I'm sure you are aware of the 2009 deadline (which will probably get pushed back again, but I digress) to convert analog broadcasts to digital. There's been lots of talk to set top boxes to convert these new digital OTA signals into analog for display on older tvs. What I can't seem to find is any information on the converse, a converter to display analog sources on digital tvs.

Now it's probably true that most tvs manufactured after 2009 will still have some form of analog inputs for vcrs, dvd players, etc, but for how long will that be the case? There will be no need for composite analog inputs after that time, since there won't be any broadcast sources in analog.

Will there be a DVI/HDMI converter for my 2600? :)

Thoughts?

Edited by Galaga_Freak, Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:58 PM.

#2 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,394 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:21 PM

Now it's probably true that most tvs manufactured after 2009 will still have some form of analog inputs for vcrs, dvd players, etc, but for how long will that be the case?  There will be no need for composite analog inputs after that time, since there won't be any broadcast sources in analog.

View Post

One tricky issue there is how much 'delay' the analog inputs will have. If a display is used to show movies, a 1/10 second delay between the signal going in and its appearance on screen won't pose any sort of problem. If it's used for a videogame, however, it could cause control response to be unplayably bad.

#3 orion1052003 OFFLINE  

orion1052003

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:59 PM

Will you still be able to play an old Atari 2600 on an old TV set? I thought the game was not directly piped into the TV monitor like on a Playstation or Commodore 64's RCA jacks going to red, yellow, and white plugs. The Atari has that RF convertor box and I believe the input to the TV rides off the analog RF broadcast signal of channel 3 or 4.

Does that mean after the digital switch, the games will be unplayable without a mod? Or is channel 3 or 4 actually unnecessary for the games to work?

#4 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,587 posts

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:16 AM

Will you still be able to play an old Atari 2600 on an old TV set? I thought the game was not directly piped into the TV monitor like on a Playstation or Commodore 64's RCA jacks going to red, yellow, and white plugs. The Atari has that RF convertor box and I believe the input to the TV rides off the analog RF broadcast signal of channel 3 or 4.

Does that mean after the digital switch, the games will be unplayable without a mod? Or is channel 3 or 4 actually unnecessary for the games to work?

Just to take your question and pose it another way for clarity, is what you asking something like:

After NTSC goes "bye-bye" (sorta) in Feb. 2009, what do we do about connecting classic gaming consoles to those TVs which will no longer feature RF inputs for the old analog NTSC broadcast channels 2, 3, and 4, if said classic gaming consoles can only make use of a connection via an RF switchbox?

(This assumes we have purchased a television post-Feb '09 after the digital switchover occurs).

Is that what you're asking?

Edited by rockman_x_2002, Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:18 AM.

#5 mos6507 OFFLINE  

mos6507

River Patroller

• 4,800 posts

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008 8:51 AM

After NTSC goes "bye-bye" (sorta) in Feb. 2009, what do we do about connecting classic gaming consoles to those TVs which will no longer feature RF inputs for the old analog NTSC broadcast channels 2, 3, and 4, if said classic gaming consoles can only make use of a connection via an RF switchbox?

Then it will finally be time to buy an A/V mod like the new version of Cybertech which Chris is finishing.

It will be a long long time before TVs no longer have composite/S-video inputs.

#6 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,539 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008 9:44 AM

There are tons of old VCRs around. I'm sure a lot of them have worn belts or drive mchanisms which make them unsuitable for tapes, but their RF circuits still work perfect. THat's all you really need is something with a working RF demodulator and you're good to go.
Heck, there are plenty of old TVs still kicking around, too. Why not just go to the thrift store and spend $5 on a 19 inch TV that was built in, like, 1999? It'll probably have the correct inputs for any system 2600 to PS2.

#7 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008 3:58 PM

There are tons of old VCRs around. I'm sure a lot of them have worn belts or drive mchanisms which make them unsuitable for tapes, but their RF circuits still work perfect. THat's all you really need is something with a working RF demodulator and you're good to go.
Heck, there are plenty of old TVs still kicking around, too. Why not just go to the thrift store and spend $5 on a 19 inch TV that was built in, like, 1999? It'll probably have the correct inputs for any system 2600 to PS2.

Yep, now we can justify having a dedicated TV for games. Well, games and those old vcr's and things. Works for me.

Nathan

#8 orion1052003 OFFLINE  

orion1052003

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:00 PM

What I'm asking is, will the Atari game from the cartridge show up on the screen anymore without a channel 3 or 4?

I'm using a 1990's TV with coax input and an original atari 2600.

So no new TV present, no RCA jacks on the TV without a VCR being hooked up, no digital or HD capability. Everything like 10 years ago.

What I was wondering is, if you don't get the converter box, would the atari 2600 be unplayable? If you plug a DVD, VCR, or commodore 64 with RCA jacks into a TV or monitor with those, that's a AUXilliary input that has nothing to do with broadcast. But if you use the old clunky RF box, I thought it rides the TV signal or needs the TV signal to be "input" into the TV. Without the signal, will the videogames' picture be gone?

If so, then you get into 2 more questions: Will the 2600 work with the converter box, because channel 3 would be an analog coming out of the digital, making it work and show up? And if not, you would need a RCA type of mod to the 2600 to bypass using the RF switchbox?

Does that mean after the digital switch, the games will be unplayable without a mod? Or is channel 3 or 4 actually unnecessary for the games to work?[/quote]

Just to take your question and pose it another way for clarity, is what you asking something like:

(This assumes we have purchased a television post-Feb '09 after the digital switchover occurs).

Is that what you're asking?
[/quote]

#9 2600Lives OFFLINE  

2600Lives

River Patroller

• 4,342 posts
  • The Masked Wrestleman

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:12 PM

I'd get a cheap tv from a pawn shop and get a dedicated tv for just your older systems. You can get a nice flat screen tv with RF connections used for under a hundred bucks.

Alternately, get you system modded to work with S-Video. This is kind of expensive, but ultimately, probably the best solution, as seeing the old systems through S-Video is VERY cool.

#10 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

River Patroller

• 4,797 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:18 PM

I don't understand why this is of concern, this change over only affects over the air television signals I thought? The tv's will still fully support classic consoles, since the coaxial rf inputs aren't going anywhere and there are millions of cable customers that don't recieve digital signals and won't for many years. Am I misunderstanding something?

Edited by Atariboy, Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:19 PM.

#11 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,394 posts

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 8:09 PM

I don't understand why this is of concern, this change over only affects over the air television signals I thought? The tv's will still fully support classic consoles, since the coaxial rf inputs aren't going anywhere and there are millions of cable customers that don't recieve digital signals and won't for many years. Am I misunderstanding something?

I would expect that after 2009, many sets' coaxial RF inputs will no longer accept analog signals. Stock up now on old VCRs with analog tuners. :) Thrift stores and such should have them cheap. Don't expect they'll all work, but I bought two for $2 and one of them worked, so I figure $4 for a VCR is doing okay.

#12 godzillajoe OFFLINE  

godzillajoe

River Patroller

• 2,279 posts

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 8:21 PM

I just bought a 42" HD TV and plugged the Atari right into the coax input with no problems. And I don't think it's a case of the TV not "accepting" a signal it's just that the signals will not be broadcast anymore. But that has no bearing the 2600 which broadcasts its own signal. That's not suddenly gonna stop in 2009, 2010 or whenever.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users