IGNORED

SEGA CD Alpha, Beta, Review ~ is there a market?

Game Rogue

I've been going through archived gaming boxes... wondering if this stuff is perceived collectable; is there any worth to these items?

Pictured...

Android Assault (?)

Power Rangers (?)

AH3 Thunder Strike (?)

Loadstar (Alpha)

Fahrenheit 32X (?)

Monkey Island (?)

Others I own...

Fatal Fury Special (Review Copy)

SoulStar (?)

Black Hole Assault (?)

Frankenstein (?)

Radical Rex (Final)

Mickey Mania (?)

Lethal Enforcers II (Sample CD)

F1 (?)

L.O.T. (Review Copy) not sure what this game is.

post-1612-1138059871_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138059911_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138059950_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138059986_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138060028_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138060066_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138060095_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138060136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Rogue

Sega CD protos go pretty cheap compared with cart protos. 20 or even 10 is about right for common released titles. I have some unreleased one of a kinds and the market doesn't seem to bear more than 200 for one of these.

If you have an unreleased sonic game well that changes everything.

Adam

I have been a collector of SegaCD and MegaCD prototypes for years. Back a few years ago, they'd go up to $75-$100 apiece if you had the right titles, but I recently picked up four for $100 -- the market's pretty much flat. I am still buying, but not for value's sake. The only one I ever sold for a huge amount of money was a Captain Tsubasa prototype, sold to a guy in Dubai for about $300.

I used to have some unreleased MegaCD titles (Burning Fists, Force Striker Alpha), but even they didn't go for much when I sold them. Only $50/ea to Adol. Kinda sucks, but I have more fun looking through them than anything else. I have a Fatal Fury Special Review Copy and Mortal Kombat proto on the SegaCD end, and about 4 MegaCD protos. Used to have 16.

If you're ever interested in offloading through trades/sales, hit me up with a message sometime. I'm a huge Blackhole Assault/Micronet fan (oddly enough, I own every released version) so I've got a special interest in that one. ;)

Edited by vanadium

Any chance of releasing some of those unreleased titles?  It's pretty easy considering you can play copied CD's in the Sega CD.  I'd love to see some of those.

Tempest

1005995[/snapback]

I would inquire with Adol (found on eBay and DP boards) about Force Striker Alpha and Burning Fists (two titles for the same game at diff. stages of dev, unreleased ultimately) but my chances of getting him to dump any of them are slim to none.

Luckily, I do have CD copies of 7 other prototypes floating around here, inc. a Sonic CD beta (American, but with the Japanese tracks) I sold off long ago.

Edited by vanadium

Any chance of releasing some of those unreleased titles?  It's pretty easy considering you can play copied CD's in the Sega CD.  I'd love to see some of those.

Tempest

1005995[/snapback]

I would inquire with Adol (found on eBay and DP boards) about Force Striker Alpha and Burning Fists (two titles for the same game at diff. stages of dev, unreleased ultimately) but my chances of getting him to dump any of them are slim to none.

Luckily, I do have CD copies of 7 other prototypes floating around here, inc. a Sonic CD beta (American, but with the Japanese tracks) I sold off long ago.

1006000[/snapback]

The Sonic CD proto I'm interested in is the one that has level 2 still intact. If it even exists that is... :)

Tempest

If you're ever interested in offloading through trades/sales, hit me up with a message sometime. I'm a huge Blackhole Assault/Micronet fan (oddly enough, I own every released version) so I've got a special interest in that one. ;)

1005994[/snapback]

Thank you very much for the information.

Here are the Black Hole Assault and Fatal Fury Special pix. I don't know about giving up BHA. I'm in the process of going through many boxes to reorganize what I have. I will let you know when I have gotten everything together - read, this could be a few months or so.

post-1612-1138141202_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138141231_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138141266_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138141333_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138141370_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138141404_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Rogue

Do you have a date on your Fatal Fury at all? Mine's got the same cover as yours, except for two things:

1. It says Preview Copy on mine, rather than Review

2. Dated: 11-3-94 on the cover

It's also a WIP for sure, as there are graphics glitches and other differences between mine and the released version. It's pretty neat. I'd be interested in knowing more about yours if you ever have a chance.

As for BHA, the fact that it says "Bignet" on it leads me to believe it's the American version.

Do keep in touch; it's great knowing there are many other protos and review copies out there.

Edited by vanadium

• 1 month later...

We are releasing Burning Fists: Force Striker in April at the CinciClassic. We are currently taking pre-orders on our website.

We took the two titles (as they are effectively the same game, one US and one Jap) and mushed together the pieces that were missing from each into one title.

you can check out www.j2games.com for the game and some screenshots!

If anyone has other unleased prototypes, drop us a PM, we're looking for our next project coming off of Burning Fists and the previously released Mighty Mighty Missile, both for SegaCD.

J2Games.com

The funniest part about J2Games' release is that I owned that one a few years ago before selling it to Adol, who then appears to have sold it to J2Games. And J2Games is located only 10mi away from me, if that. Congrats on the release!

:)

(Still buying SegaCD/MegaCD protos, btw...unreleased or not!) :)

Edited by vanadium

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If you could turn up a Sid & Al's Incredible Toons proto, I would be thrilled to atoms. I would be very interested to see how an Incredible Machine style game would do on the Sega CD. What I'm most interested in, however, is if there was a superawesome FMV intro with Sid and Al trying to kill each other. :twisted:

I've been going through archived gaming boxes... wondering if this stuff is perceived collectable; is there any worth to these items?

Pictured...

Android Assault (?)

Power Rangers (?)

AH3 Thunder Strike (?)

Loadstar (Alpha)

Fahrenheit 32X (?)

Monkey Island (?)

Others I own...

Fatal Fury Special (Review Copy)

SoulStar (?)

Black Hole Assault (?)

Frankenstein (?)

Radical Rex (Final)

Mickey Mania (?)

Lethal Enforcers II (Sample CD)

F1 (?)

L.O.T. (Review Copy) not sure what this game is.

Yes, sir. There is most definately a market. It's called: Rob's wallet.

Edited by Rev. Rob