IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 29: Chopper Command

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Chopper Command and compare scores, feel free to do so, but no further points will be awarded.

Your chopper is fueled and ready for action, and it's a good thing too, as the supply convoys below need your help. The enemy is sending out their own choppers and jets, both armed with dual warhead bombs, intent on destroying both the convoys and you. Get your trigger finger ready and prepare to strike, because this week's game is Chopper Command!

Game Information

• Game Name: Chopper Command
  • Released By: Activision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Rapid Fire
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Rapid Fire
  • Game Mode: Game 1 (Cadet Level)
  • Chosen By: Gateway

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Feb 7th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Damon Plus! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 999,999 (D.Yancey) [+11]
    999,999 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. 151,900 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 40,300 (Mad Scientist) [+9]
  4. 35,200 (khryssun) [+8]
  5. 25,300 (MoonlightKnight) [+7]
  6. 22,800 (keilbaca) [+6]
  7. 22,200 (SpiceWare) [+5]
  8. 18,900 (leearco) [+4]
  9. 18,500 (Galaga_Freak) [+3]
  10. 17,600 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 16,500 (Goochman) [+1]
  12. 16,400 (Omegamatrix) [+1]
  13. 11,300 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  14. 7500 (scogey) [+1]

Best Tips

• D.Yancey [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Helping Out Bonus - Write up an exciting intro for this game, and get 1 bonus point (first submission only). Detail the scoring system, and get 1 bonus point (again, first submission only).
    • LarcenTyler [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Mode)
  1. 999,999 (Multiple Submitters)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually

Member List

Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, Gateway

Scoring Points in Chopper Command

Shoot Enemy Helicopter - 100 Points
    Shoot Enemy Jet - 200 Points
    When you complete a wave, you receive a bonus for each convoy truck remaining multiplied by the wave number you're on and then multiplied by 100.

For every 10,000 points scored, you earn a bonus chopper. You can have a maximum of six choppers in reserve.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge has a typed and a scanned copy of the manual online. Here are the hints it provides:

- Your truck convoys will always travel from the right to the left.  And so will the enemy formations.  Knowing this, you can position yourself at the left side of the screen and start firing as soon as the enemy aircraft appear.  This is important because your helicopter's chances of being hit by a multi-warhead missile increase the closer the enemy aircraft get.  The enemy pilots are real kamikazes, too, and they'll collide with you if they can't shoot you down.

Just don't fly into the range of the enemy. Sit on the left side of the screen just outside of their range. Keep firing. When they scroll forward enough to appear on the right side of the screen, blast one of them. Fly back out of their range and repeat this process for #2 and #3 enemies on each section. They can no longer ram your chopper and their bombs are almost never a threat. Good luck!

--Ze_ro

Why don't I boot up my Atari 7800 so I can play on the actual hardware, you ask? Because I have too many other systems in my already-cluttered room hooked up, making it a pain in the neck to hook the Atari 7800 up. However, my emulator has been running rather slowly recently, so I may need to hook it up after all.

Nevertheless, here's my first score, although if I manage to submit more after my surgery, it'll be a miracle.

post-1653-1138727966_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys. With a little practice on this one, everyone should be getting excellent scroes.

Just don't fly into the range of the enemy. Sit on the left side of the screen just outside of their range. Keep firing. When they scroll forward enough to appear on the right side of the screen, blast one of them. Fly back out of their range and repeat this process for #2 and #3 enemies on each section. They can no longer ram your chopper and their bombs are almost never a threat. Good luck!

Time for practice is my problem - I've been sidetracked with deciphering Warlords so I can hack it.  Amoung other things, I'm planning to add multiple fireballs and the dragon at the start of each round :)

1012016[/snapback]

and I will love you forever, when you complete this. Warlords is so badass... and to make it better...

Oh, when are you going to come over to San Antonio again? It would be nice to see you again.

thought I'd submit a score before our power goes out. Its snowing like crazy here in the D. So if any of you turn on the Superbowl tomorrow and theres a rerun of Americas Funniest Videos....you'll know why. Im 30 miles north of Ford Field and we have 8" so far...I may have to break a long standing tradition of not doing physical labor on superbowl sunday so I can dig us out of this crap.

Amid all of this ...another not so good score... :x