IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

MEtalGuy66 - that's one awesome XE you have there!  I have a few questions.  Can you give me some info on your memory upgrade.  Is it just the "Scott Peterson" upgrade with forced banking selectable by the switch?  Also, I like the HD LED you added. I want to so the same thing to my 130XE, but for the RAMdisk, not HD.  How did you manage to get the little trapezoid cut so cleanly?  BTW - how much are you selling the MyIDE XE boards for?

Gunstar - you also have a great collection there!  It seems we are all doing the same mods (MyIDE, memory upgrades, stereo PoKeys, 32-in-1 OS, video upgrades).  That case looks amazing too.  I really need to do that to the 1040ST I got via EBay, but I've never been too great at painting.  Any tips?

I haven't had this much fun with my little 8-bits since the late 80s.

Stephen Anderson

1018086[/snapback]

Thanks! Painting tips: get a quality paint that says it's made to work on plastic; Rustoleum is a good brand. Take your time. You will want to put on very thin coats of paint, hold the can a foot away fromt he surface and use slow,steady, waves back and forth. DO NOT expect to complete cover the surface in the first or second coat. I generally do six very thin coats and I can still see the original plastic after the 3rd coat. to heavy a coat cause drips, raisining (wrinkles) and bubbles for the perfectly awful amature job. Do two coats twenty minutes apart, let dry/cure overnight, another two coats the same way, another night, last two coats. Do not wait more than one night between coats otherwise the paint will have fully cured and the next coats will not properly adhere or "mesh" with the previous coats. This can cause the same bubbling, raisining and even peeling. Remove or carefully tape over anything you do not want painted, using masking tape and an exacto knife for precision. Obviously take everything apart down to just the bare cases and do it in a well ventilated, well lighted area. Once you become experienced and good at painting there are a lot of short cuts you can take, but don't take any short cuts until you are a pro.

Edited by Gunstar

I sell them for $40.00 without the boot-rom or $50.00 with the boot-rom. But I think Stephen Tucker's 32-in-one OS board is well worth the money and you dont need a boot rom if you have that.

You really should go to http://www.mr-atari.com and read all the info there.

I designed the XE PLUG-IN board, and I build it and sell it, But Sijmen Shouten supports it and he is the one who maintains the software, OS-patch code, and he was the one who came up with the idea for the actual hardware spec (which basically entails a very minimum direct-bussed implementation of an IDE interface).

Theres an installation guide, and a FAQ concerning the hardware implications of the device on his site. You have to click on My-IDE PROJECT, and then look under "Information from Ken"

Darn. I hope I dont get in trouble for "advertising" in this forum.

I sell them for $40.00 without the boot-rom or $50.00 with the boot-rom. But I think Stephen Tucker's 32-in-one OS board is well worth the money and you dont need a boot rom if you have that.

You really should go to http://www.mr-atari.com and read all the info there.

I designed the XE PLUG-IN board, and I build it and sell it, But Sijmen Shouten supports it and he is the one who maintains the software, OS-patch code, and he was the one who came up with the idea for the actual hardware spec (which basically entails a very minimum direct-bussed implementation of an IDE interface). 

Theres an installation guide, and a FAQ concerning the hardware implications of the device on his site. You have to click on My-IDE PROJECT, and then look under "Information from Ken"

Darn. I hope I dont get in trouble for "advertising" in this forum.

1018099[/snapback]

Thanks. I'll be checking out the forum shortly - I am wanting to do some sort of IDE upgrade, and have tons of questions. Also, I do have the 32-in-1 OS installed, so the boot ROM won't be an issue.

Stephen Anderson

Here is what I am currently using. Its a 800xl with Newell upgrade connected to 2 XF551 and 2 1050s then to the SIO2PC sitting in the cartridge case on the 800xl.

The slave PC is to the right above the 800. I have a trak AT-D2 connected to it. Also the 64k 600xl is on the shelf under the trackball. Its too much trouble to take pictures of things I don't have out and ready to use.

post-7833-1139889292_thumb.jpg

post-7833-1139889328_thumb.jpg

post-7833-1139889497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

Here is what I am currently using.  Its a 800xl with Newell upgrade connected to 2 XF551 and 2 1050s then to the SIO2PC sitting in the cartridge case on the 800xl.

The slave PC is to the right above the 800.  I have a trak AT-D2 connected to it.  Also the 64k 600xl is on the shelf under the trackball.  Its too much trouble to take pictures of things I don't have out and ready to use.

1018105[/snapback]

So, let me get this straight: Your SIO2PC works via the cartridge slot?!? Or did you just use a cartridge case and it's merely "resting" in the cart slot without actually being plugged in? Do tell, please, I've never seen one that works through the cartridge port. I have my SIO2PC&10502PC in a case attached to the outside of my 1050 and then permanenty attached via cable to the SIO ports on the 1050 motherboard. I didn't think it could be done anyway but through the SIO port.

post-149-1139947156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

So, let me get this straight: Your SIO2PC works via the cartridge slot?!?  Or did you just use a cartridge case and it's merely "resting" in the cart slot without actually being plugged in?

1018384[/snapback]

Its just resting there. I put it there so I can see the lights. I used a dead Star Raiders cart. Don't we all have at least 3 copies of that game? If you look closely the cart in in backwards. The reason is I did not want the side with all the solder to short on the aluminum back of the cart. Also, I was going to buy a $5 case to put it in, but once I realize that was such a waste. And I had plenty of carts that could be a donor for the SIO2PC interface, it was a no brainer.

I sometime just pull it out an put it under the Commodore monitor.

Here is some history on my Ataris. The 600xl is my 1st system back in the Summer of 1984. It was alway my trusty computer. I love its small footprint. I will eventually make a video upgrade for it. I put 64k in it last month.

The 800xl is my 2nd system. We upgraded it to 256k in 1985. I cant believe my brother and I upgraded it ourselves. We were about 10 and 11 at the time and lucky that the 800xl was an older model with Basic Rev B and almost all chips socketed. The blue sticker is from the Texas History Museum in Washington on the Brazos.

The XF551 was bought with a 800xl, XM301 and XMM801 for all $200 new from Federated in 1988. I still have the receipt somewhere. The 2nd 800xl was our 4th Atari. We got a 130xe somewhere between 1988-1990 and probably was our 3rd Atari.

The ATR8000 64k was used for about a year in 1988-89 for a BBS we put together. It was cheap at $100 with 3 Quad density 5 1/4 drives(720k/disk). We had nearly 2 Megs on floppy for such a cheap setup for the time. It was a bit slow since it was on floppies, but using the 256k 800xl's ramdisk did alleviate the bottleneck some.

BXE is in the plastic box on the self above. I may put the carts out and take pics. Scanning may be better though. I will see. All of the above was part of our collection before 1990. After that point. We used school computers and I bought a Dell in 1993 and a 7800 in 1996 when eBay started. I am actually thinking of pulling the drives from Dell and seeing if it would work with the ATR8000.

The rest I picked up starting 2005.

The 800 will probably be upgraded soon pending getting the parts and working with warerat. I love its chroma and luma output to the Commodore. :lust: I will do the ram and OS upgrade to it or the other 800 I have in storage.

Not pictured. 400, 4 XEGS, 7800, 5200(needs RF adaptor), Lynx, 3 1040STf, Mega ST4 and assorted drives.

Edited by Almost Rice

The picture of my current setup is available here or at the website below :P

Actually, I have two additional 1050's (1 Happy - 1 Stock) not shown here attached via a ProSys cable to the Ape PC.

1017145[/snapback]

I was looking through everyone's setups again, and it occurs to me that your system has no mention of an SIO2PC adapter/cable. I also payed more attention to the fact that you have that network hub, the MIO and the 850 interface. So, how do you have your sytem running APE '98? I'm very curious. Also, I have a P:R: Connection and had noticed that it and the SIO2PC are incompatible in the same daisy chain. I've just recently started thinking about the possiblity that with my P:R: Connection RS232 com ports I may not need an SIO2PC to run A.P.E '98 from my PC. Do you happen to know anything about this? My thought is to use the SIO2PC on my XL/XE's still, but also connect my 800 to my laptop via the P:R: Connection. Is this possible and what do I need, if anything, besides A.P.E (software wise)? Anyone may answer some of these questions, please, I jsut figured it looks like bfsk+ is already in the know.

The P:R Connection (or 850 interface, essentially same thing) gives you industry-standard RS232 ports that are controlled via the R: handler. Yes, you can hook a nullmodem cable up between these ports and your PC or laptop and use XMODEM, ZMODEM, etc. and a term program to transfer files.. But SIO2PC actually EMULATES an ATARI-NATIVE SIO device via the normal D1: - D8: devices, and is MUCH faster (52 KBPS +), and also, there is no way (without altering your ATARI's OS) to tell it to use the serial ports on the 850/P:R: connection as a native storage device. So the best you can do is load up Bobterm or 850 express (or terminal program of your preference), transfer the files across and store them on the ATARI's hardisk or floppy, and then do what you want with them. All in all, this process is cumbersome as hell, and doesnt give you NEARLY the functionality of that SIO2PC does.

In my oppinion, SIO2pc is the single most powerful system ever made for the atari (on a dollar vs functionality basis) and my P:R: connection has been collecting dust ever since SIO2PC came out. The ability to drag & drop images on and off of virtual drives, swap them with people over the internet, access the PC's modem, internet resources, etc, etc. almost makes external drives and modems for the ATARI obsolete. SIO2PC when set up right is faster and more reliable than any atari floppy drive I've seen, and it literally costs less than 2 dollars to make an SIO2PC.

BF2K's system works as follows:

The seagate hardisk mounted in the external enclosure on the floor is being controlled by the MIO behind the 800XL.

The Hayes Smartmodem 9600 is plugged into the serial port of the 850 interface which is on the ATARI's SIO chain.

Of all the atari floppy drives mentioned/shown, the ones that arent hooked on the ATARI's SIO chain are hooked chained to the PC via Prosys cable.

The network Hub is for his home ethernet network and/or broadband internet sharing (note IP adress label on front of PC)

He's probably got the SIO2PC cable hooked as the last device on the ATARI SIO chain, or possibly wired in paralell to the SIO bus, inside the 800XL (like I do mine)

ALso, that's a SpartaDOS X cart sitting in the 800XL as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Actually, I have two additional 1050's (1 Happy - 1 Stock) not shown here attached via a ProSys cable to the Ape PC.

1017145[/snapback]

I was looking through everyone's setups again, and it occurs to me that your system has no mention of an SIO2PC adapter/cable. I also payed more attention to the fact that you have that network hub, the MIO and the 850 interface. So, how do you have your sytem running APE '98? I'm very curious.

The PC is connected to the Atari via a SIO2PC cable... it's plugged into the 850 but you cannot see it in the picture. I also have a ProSystem cable connecting the two 1050's (not shown in picture) to the PC.

Edited by bf2k+

1017145[/snapback]

I was looking through everyone's setups again, and it occurs to me that your system has no mention of an SIO2PC adapter/cable. I also payed more attention to the fact that you have that network hub, the MIO and the 850 interface. So, how do you have your sytem running APE '98? I'm very curious.

The PC is connected to the Atari via a SIO2PC cable... it's plugged into the 850 but you cannot see it in the picture. I also have a ProSystem cable connecting the two 1050's (not shown in picture) to the PC.

1018561[/snapback]

So you have no problems running the SIO2PC not only with the 850 attached in the chain, but the SIO2PC is plugged into the 850 interface? My A.P.E program won't work right if I have my P:R: Connection even hooked up to the chain, let alone an SIO2PC going in to it (P:R: Connection is 98% compatible with the 850, basically the same thing). Maybe you can expalin a bit more how you have it working thorugh the 850?

The P:R Connection (or 850 interface, essentially same thing) gives you industry-standard RS232 ports that are controlled via the R: handler. Yes, you can hook a nullmodem cable up between these ports and your PC or laptop and use XMODEM, ZMODEM, etc. and a term program to transfer files.. But SIO2PC actually EMULATES an ATARI-NATIVE SIO device via the normal D1: - D8: devices, and is MUCH faster (52 KBPS +), and also, there is no way (without altering your ATARI's OS) to tell it to use the serial ports on the 850/P:R: connection as a native storage device.  So the best you can do is load up Bobterm or 850 express (or terminal program of your preference), transfer the files across and store them on the ATARI's hardisk or floppy, and then do what you want with them. All in all, this process is cumbersome as hell, and doesnt give you NEARLY the functionality of that SIO2PC does.

In my oppinion, SIO2pc is the single most powerful system ever made for the atari (on a dollar vs functionality basis) and my P:R: connection has been collecting dust ever since SIO2PC came out. The ability to drag & drop images on and off of virtual drives, swap them with people over the internet, access the PC's modem, internet resources, etc, etc. almost makes external drives and modems for the ATARI obsolete. SIO2PC when set up right is faster and more reliable than any atari floppy drive I've seen, and it literally costs less than 2 dollars to make an SIO2PC.

BF2K's system works as follows:

The seagate hardisk mounted in the external enclosure on the floor is being controlled by the MIO behind the 800XL.

The Hayes Smartmodem 9600 is plugged into the serial port of the 850 interface which is on the ATARI's SIO chain.

Of all the atari floppy drives mentioned/shown, the ones that arent hooked on the ATARI's SIO chain are hooked chained to the PC via Prosys cable.

The network Hub is for his home ethernet network and/or broadband internet sharing (note IP adress label on front of PC)

He's probably got the SIO2PC cable hooked as the last device on the ATARI SIO chain, or possibly wired in paralell to the SIO bus, inside the 800XL (like I do mine)

ALso, that's a SpartaDOS X cart sitting in the 800XL as well, if I'm not mistaken.

1018521[/snapback]

I see. I thought maybe the network hub was a part of the 8-bit system some how, since he bothered to label it along with the 8-bit stuff. But I'm still confused as to how he can have the 850 and SIO2PC hooked up in the same daisychain when I had serious operating problems with my SIO2PC&A.P.E when I had my P:R: Connection hooked up as well. I'd like to have both hooked up into my system to use my Hayes modem for BBS use and possibly Contiki in the future. I know I can just use A.P.E. virtual modem too though, so I know it's a bit redudndant, but I'm still curious as why bf2k+ can have them working together without conflict (sio2PC&850) and I can't with the P:R:Connection. I couldn't get A.P.E to function properly at all when I had the P:R: hooked up.

I knew I could use a null modem cable and a terminal program to do transfers, I was just hoping there was a way to use A.P.E with it and not just standard null-modem file transfers. Obviously a null modem setup is obsolete with A.P.E&SIO2PC.

Edited by Gunstar

MEtalGuy66 - that's one awesome XE you have there!  I have a few questions.  Can you give me some info on your memory upgrade.  Is it just the "Scott Peterson" upgrade with forced banking selectable by the switch?  Also, I like the HD LED you added. I want to so the same thing to my 130XE, but for the RAMdisk, not HD.  How did you manage to get the little trapezoid cut so cleanly?  BTW - how much are you selling the MyIDE XE boards for?

Gunstar - you also have a great collection there!  It seems we are all doing the same mods (MyIDE, memory upgrades, stereo PoKeys, 32-in-1 OS, video upgrades).  That case looks amazing too.  I really need to do that to the 1040ST I got via EBay, but I've never been too great at painting.  Any tips?

I haven't had this much fun with my little 8-bits since the late 80s.

Stephen Anderson

1018086[/snapback]

Not butting in on what you asked Gunstar - but when I put my Falcon back together in a Wizztronics rack case, I had to paint various things to make it all match. I used Krylon Fuzion paint and it worked out great, even though I'm no artist. You can see my Falcon at me website (see sig).

HTHs.

PS BTW, the Krylon was recommended to me here at Atariage. :-)

The small percentage of my collection that is actually set up somewhere.

post-6925-1140018660_thumb.jpg

1018767[/snapback]

Is that a SIO switchbox next to the monitor switch above the Commodore monitor? If so, is it possible to do with a couple of parallel port switchboxes. I have 2 of those and was considering doing that.

BTW is the MIO connected to the 1200xl?

Edited by Almost Rice

Is that a SIO switchbox next to the monitor switch above the Commodore monitor? If so, is it possible to do with a couple of parallel port switchboxes. I have 2 of those and was considering doing that.

BTW is the MIO connected to the 1200xl?

Yes, that is the Deluxe Quintopus mounted in a small project box.

http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/quintopus.htm

Actually it would be fairly easy to build one. all of the pins are connected in parallel to each port. Only 2 of the ports are actually switched and the only pins that need to be switched out to disable a port are Motor Control ( pin 8 ) and + 5 VDC/Ready (pin 10) which can be accomplished with just a Double Pole toggle switch.

The more interesting device is the one sitting between the 2 monitors. It is the MPP/Supra Micronet and it allows you to share one SIO chain among up to 8 computers.

Using this setup I can switch in virtually any combination of SIO devices and use them with any of the computers without having to swap a single cable.

No, The MIO was not actually connected to anything when that picture was taken. The 1200xl is upgraded with the XL/XE OS and has internal basic and 256K Rambo, but it does not have the PBI added.

Edited by JR>

Yes, that is the Deluxe Quintopus mounted in a small project box.

http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/multiplexer.htm

Actually it would be fairly easy to build one.  all of the pins are connected in parallel to each port.  Only 2 of the ports are actually switched and the only pins that need to be switched out to disable a port are Motor Control ( pin 8 ) and + 5 VDC/Ready (pin 10) which can be accomplished with just a Double Pole toggle switch.

The more interesting device is the one sitting between the 2 monitors. It is the MPP/Supra Micronet and it allows you to share one SIO chain among up to 8 computers.

Using this setup I can switch in virtually any combination of SIO devices and use them with any of the computers without having to swap a single cable.

No, The MIO was not actually  connected to anything when that picture was taken.  The 1200xl is upgraded with the XL/XE OS and has internal basic and 256K Rambo, but it does not have the PBI added.

1018807[/snapback]

So thats what a Quintopus looks like. I thought the MPP/Supra Micronet was just a modem and was not paying to much attention.

So using a Parallel port switch would be overkill and not really necessary? Will there be complications with putting 2 or more computers in the SIO chain and switching it via pin 8 and 10? I was thinking of sharing 2 different SIO chains to 3 computers.

post-6059-1140034941_thumb.jpgThis is part of my collection, i have about 4 65XE, another XEGS and a 130XE, some Atarimax stuff and more books. I know is not much but in my country Atari didn't las, maybe 2 or 3 years....

Javier.

You're being modest. That's a great collection! What kind of printer is that shown? It looks like the color of the XL series, but with the air slits of the XE, and the XE line badge. It doesn't look like any printers that were released in the U.S.

Edited by Gunstar

You're being modest. That's a great collection! What kind of printer is that shown? It looks like the color of the XL series, but with the air slits of the XE, and the  XE line badge. It doesn't look like any printers that were released in the U.S.

1019032[/snapback]

XDM121, Great printer, daisy wheel, easy to find carts. :cool: I'm currently building a room for all my stuff, maybe by july it'll be over and i would take better shots.

Javier.

Edited by javiero

I've retaken some shots of my XL/XE system(s) with a 1027 printer that wasn't there before (still have to actually hook it up) and the Atari touchtablet exposed for display. I've also taken another sytem-wide picture better displaying everything as well as some close-ups which you may notice reveal more than the original pictures, like the fact that most of my XL equipment was Atari fuji badges on them, those are high-quality badges I added just to improve the look modestly. I always felt the XL line's lack of a Fuji badge on it anywhere to be a disappointment.

post-149-1140045915_thumb.jpg

post-149-1140045961_thumb.jpg

post-149-1140046028_thumb.jpg

post-149-1140046191_thumb.jpg

The small percentage of my collection that is actually set up somewhere.

post-6925-1140018660_thumb.jpg

1018767[/snapback]

Excellent. :cool:

So I take it you don't use cartridges much, since all access to cartridge ports seems to be blocked. :ponder:

Is that Amdex monitor just composite, or can it display chroma/lumina-S-video? I always wanted an Amdex monitor back int he day, but just used a 13 inch T.V. By the time I finally got monitors for my 8-bits, it was and old Apple composite and a Commodore 1084S. but the Apple monitor is on it's last leg (color distortion) and I'm thinking of trying ot replace it with an Amdex like yours. Assuming I can find one...

Edited by Gunstar

Javier, what are the two cartridges with the orange labels?

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

1019051[/snapback]

MMM, multiescritor y multificha, multiescritor is Atariwriter in spanish, yeah, i really don't know about multificha, is a simple database, i will, don't know when get the images and post them here... I have the manual of multiescritor i will scan it and post it also. :)

Javier.

Thanks for the details!

We have a cartridge image of MultiFicha, we'll post it on our site very soon! It was published by Grupo SITSA, a sister company of Atari Mexico... I don't know the story behind this title as it just seems to be a hacked version of MicroFiler! Does yours have a copyright by Multisoft as well?

Do you have a dump of MicroCalc XE by any chance? This one seems to use an uncommon banking scheme (Ultracart) and appears to be 32K.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

So thats what a Quintopus looks like.  I thought the MPP/Supra Micronet was just a modem and was not paying to much attention.

So using a Parallel port switch would be overkill and not really necessary?  Will there be complications with putting 2 or more computers in the SIO chain and switching it via pin 8 and 10?  I was thinking of sharing 2 different SIO chains to 3 computers.

1018895[/snapback]

That should be possible. The manual for the quintopus is available at the CORRECTED link:

http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/quintopus.htm

According to it, you can have multiple computers connected to the switched ports as long as only one of the ports is enabled at a time. I have never used it in this configuration.