IGNORED

Tracking - Where to start?

Ibanez

I've been looking to start making my own chiptune for a while now, and I'm not quite sure where to start. At the moment all I've got to work with is Theta Music Composer 2.0f on the Atari 800 win 3.0 emulator, and FastTracker II (If there's anything else I should have, please let me know). Apart from that, the problem is I have no clue how to use a tracker. I've been searching like crazy for the past 3 days and all I've been able to find were a few rough manuals that don't really explain things clearly, unless I'm missing something obvious. I was wondering if anyone here would know of any good manuals/tutorials, or if they could give me a quick explanation of what I'm looking at here. Either way your help would be greatly appreaciated :) .

Edit: If it helps at all, I'm pretty knowledgable about music theory.

Edited by Ibanez

I've been looking to start making my own chiptune for a while now, and I'm not quite sure where to start. At the moment all I've got to work with is Theta Music Composer 2.0f on the Atari 800 win 3.0 emulator, and FastTracker II (If there's anything else I should have, please let me know). Apart from that, the problem is I have no clue how to use a tracker. I've been searching like crazy for the past 3 days and all I've been able to find were a few rough manuals that don't really explain things clearly, unless I'm missing something obvious. I was wondering if anyone here would know of any good manuals/tutorials, or if they could give me a quick explanation of what I'm looking at here. Either way your help would be greatly appreaciated  :) .

Edit: If it helps at all, I'm pretty knowledgable about music theory.

1018083[/snapback]

If you really don't need to use the emulator, I'd suggest trying the RMT (Raster Music Tracker), which runs natively under Windows. There are many examples included and a detailed help. It is also one of the most powerful trackers for the POKEY sound chip. Supports export to Atari executable as well.

If you want to use the real machine (or emulator), perhaps you might start with CMC, which is a tracker with fast learning curve due to its simplicity. TMC is a good tool, but maybe a bit too complex for a start.

Thanks pseudografx, I've downloaded RMT, and I've figured out what my real problem's been. I was trying to play a few of the samples that were included in the .zip file but there's no sound, which makes it just a little hard to figure the program out on my own. I can't find anything on the problem for RMT or any other tracker, but I was wondering if anyone could guess at what's wrong.

• 12 years later...

Concerning RMT, it may have a detailed help, but i am wondering if there are specific tutorials on how to create music on Raster Music Tracker. Is there a site I can look at to find tutorials on this app? Or is there anything I can look at to learn how to use it? Thanks.

UPDATE: Sorry, as Ibanez asked that already. I did not see this earlier on. But, really, are there any tutorial videos and sites for RMT? I guess it would also help if I learned music as well. Thanks again.

Edited by jericho_21
  • Like 1