IGNORED

DUAL "POKEY" SOUND CHIP STEREO UPGRADE BOARDS

MEtalGuy66

Somewhere I have a stereo demo for the 400/800. It played the Beatle's song "Yesterday". It displayed a green background (most likely turned off ANTIC DMA). Music played from the TV speaker and the internal speaker (meaing GTIA was used). I will have to go through my floppy collection and see if I can find it.

Stephen Anderson

Somewhere I have a stereo demo for the 400/800.  It played the Beatle's song "Yesterday".  It displayed a green background (most likely turned off ANTIC DMA).  Music played from the TV speaker and the internal speaker (meaing GTIA was used).  I will have to go through my floppy collection and see if I can find it.

Stephen Anderson

1023429[/snapback]

haha. thats kewl as hell...

but I dont think Ill be using the GTIA for sound in any of my future coding projects. 4bit is crappy enough without going to 2bit.

Ok today is the deadline for ordering this board.

I will be sending payment instructions to those who have already requested to be added to the order list.

If you do not recieve payment instructions from me, please PM me on this forum, or email me at kjones66@earthlink.net to be added.

I am not taking any more orders after midnight tonight.

Ok, I'd like to thank everyone for your prompt payments. I got the PCB's ordered today. I should have them by thursday.

As soon as I get one assembled, I'll post a picture on here.

I don't see a problem getting all of them assembled and tested over the weekend, and I should be shipping them out to you on Monday the 6th (or shortly thereafter.)

Nice. Can They Be Programmed Seprately For Stereo Surround?

1027588[/snapback]

Yes, they can. Youd have to write the code for "surround sound" though. But they have fully independant registers. Its just like having 2 ataris playing sound at the same time.

Location Name R/W Function

-------- ------ --- ----------------------------------------------

FIRST POKEY

$D200 AUDF1 W Audio Channel #1 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D201 AUDC1 W Audio Channel #1 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D202 AUDF2 W Audio Channel #2 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D203 AUDC2 W Audio Channel #2 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D204 AUDF3 W Audio Channel #3 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D205 AUDC3 W Audio Channel #3 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D206 AUDF4 W Audio Channel #4 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D207 AUDC4 W Audio Channel #4 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D208 AUDCT1 W Audio control for channels 1-4

SECOND POKEY

$D210 AUDF5 W Audio Channel #5 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D211 AUDC5 W Audio Channel #5 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D212 AUDF6 W Audio Channel #6 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D213 AUDC6 W Audio Channel #6 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D214 AUDF7 W Audio Channel #7 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D215 AUDC7 W Audio Channel #7 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D216 AUDF8 W Audio Channel #8 Frequency (Divide F/n)

$D217 AUDC8 W Audio Channel #8 Control (Vol/Distort)

$D218 AUDCT2 W Audio control for channels 5-8

Of course the SOUND (c,p,d,v) statement in BASIC only works with the first POKEY because the people who wrote ATARI BASIC did not antcipate people wiring in a second sound chip. But both chips are fully controllable by maniputaing the appropriate control registers in memory.

nice. i heard stereo samples and they sounded surround like but i wanna push the bar 1 up higher with true surround sound, (wanna do the THX deep note going around):D

1028107[/snapback]

While he's at it, I think he's going to figure out how to power it with molasses (from the 7800 forum):
Im Going To Figure Out A Way To Power A Atari 7800 With Molasses And Get Drunk Doing It At The Same Time! Fermenting Molasses And Using The Heat Generated To Turn Some Sort Of Turbine In The Mean Time Making Molasses Vodka!

Check List:

Mollasses

Small Generator

Atari 7800

Yeast

:roll:

nice. i heard stereo samples and they sounded surround like but i wanna push the bar 1 up higher with true surround sound, (wanna do the THX deep note going around):D

1028107[/snapback]

While he's at it, I think he's going to figure out how to power it with molasses (from the 7800 forum):
Im Going To Figure Out A Way To Power A Atari 7800 With Molasses And Get Drunk Doing It At The Same Time! Fermenting Molasses And Using The Heat Generated To Turn Some Sort Of Turbine In The Mean Time Making Molasses Vodka!

Check List:

Mollasses <check>

Small Generator

Atari 7800<Broken Power Pack>

Yeast<check>

:roll:

1028116[/snapback]

The cancer is spreading, or should I say:

The Cancer Is Spreading.

Beware Of Young Trolls Who Don't Get Out Of The House.

Ok. I shipped everyone's Dual Pokey boards out today via FedEX.

Check your email (the one you have registered with PayPal) for automated messages from Fedex containing the tracking number, and a link to check the status/tracking of the package.

BTW, there is plenty of available space in the Atari memory map for stacked chips like this. For instance, you can also stack extra PIA chips. I have been interested in that for a while as it provides an alternate way to do banked memory that doesn't interfere with XE compatibility. Not that any software supports that, unlike the dual Pokey (called Gumby back in the day) upgrade.

Those who ordered the boards should be recieving them any day now.

ANyone who has any installation issues, feel free to contact me for support.

ALso, Ive had several late inquiries about the boards, so if I get enough people interested, I may consider doing a second "Run" of them. If I do, it will more than likely be at least a month down the road.

IF you guys find any cool programs that support the stereo upgrade, post links on here, so we can all try it out.

I recieved mine yesterday, though I live in the same state, so I probably got it sooner than most. Anyway I still have to get another Pokey chip for the job, and apparently, even though I have about 50 74lsXX chips on hand, none of them are 74ls14 chips, so I have to get one of them as well. But it's all good, I want to wait for my Rambo board to do the upgrades at the same time. I need to order the ram for it too. But the board is nice, neat, and compact. Looks good.

I recieved mine yesterday, though I live in the same state, so I probably got it sooner than most. Anyway I still have to get another Pokey chip for the job, and apparently, even though I have about 50 74lsXX chips on hand, none of them are 74ls14 chips, so I have to get one of them as well. But it's all good, I want to wait for my Rambo board to do the upgrades at the same time. I need to order the ram for it too. But the board is nice, neat, and compact. Looks good.

1031646[/snapback]

Yeah, got mine a couple of days ago too.

Good job, Metalguy66!

WHAT?!? There was no 74ls14 IC on there?

Dont worry Ill send you one.. It should have been included. God damn I need to get more sleep at night or something.. Ive been losing track of all kinds of stuff lately. Sorry bout that.

Howdy MetalGuy66

Yeah, Imagine 16megs of ram with extended video banking intact. heh.

I upgraded my XEGS to 1MB while still having full software control over BASIC, Selftest, Missile Command and the OS RAM/ROM and having separate ANTIC and CPU access. There was an article about it on www.myatari.net, but they seem to be temporarely off line. But you can find the schematics on http://www.holyoak.com/atari/8bitcomp.html. Unfortunately, I'm having timing problems (probably due to a bad Phi2 signal comming from a Mexican CPU) on other types of Atari 8 bit computers.

greetings

Mathy

WHAT?!? There was no 74ls14 IC on there?

Dont worry Ill send you one.. It should have been included. God damn I need to get more sleep at night or something.. Ive been losing track of all kinds of stuff lately. Sorry bout that.

Oh, so that's what happened. I thought you'd said it was included, but I just figured I read incorrectly or something. I thought I had one or two myself anyway. If I had, i'd never have even mentioned that it didn't come with one.

Well,

afaik an Atari 8Bit computer with 2 PIA chips can control up to 256 megabytes of RAM (yes, megabytes!). Don`t think that anyone requires so much RAM with an A8, but anyway...

There is a list of Stereo (Gumby) compatible programs in the A8FAQ maintained by Michael Current. I wrote it and of course it is still incomplete... but good enough to start with I think...

-Andreas Magenheimer.

Howdy MetalGuy66, folks

YEah but bit 6 of the first PIA has GOT to be left alone for control of separate antic and CPU access. This feature of the 130xe is worth MUCH MORE than 1 extra bit of ram adressing. So with this in mind, the limit might be 128megs. heheh.

That should be pin 5. Pin 6 controles Missile Command on the XEGS.

greetings

Mathy