2-player Adventure

17 replies to this topic

#1 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:30 PM

This is a detour from other projects. Anyway, it's just like Adventure with one new feature - the right joystick can control one of the dragons.

The game starts out normally. If you press the right joystick button once, the right joystick will take over control of Grundle. Press again and you take over Yorgle, again and you control Rhindle. Again and the game goes back to normal and the cycle repeats.

I wish more games let you play the bad guy :evil:

Attached Files

Edited by batari, Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 AM.

#2 SeaGtGruff OFFLINE  

SeaGtGruff

Quadrunner

• 5,566 posts

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:56 PM

This is a detour from other projects.  Anyway, it's just like Adventure with one new feature - the right joystick can control one of the dragons.

Sounds like fun!

The game starts out normally.  If you press the right joystick button once, the right joystick will take over control of Grundle.  Press again and you take over Yorgle, again and you control Rhindle.  Again and the game goes back to normal and the cycle repeats.

What, you can't control the bat, too?!? :D

What was that game where you got to play Godzilla or some other monster?

Michael Rideout

#3 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:54 AM

What, you can't control the bat, too?!? :D

View Post

That would be fairly easy to change, but since you can only see what's going on when you're on the player's screen, your ability to steal things would be a little limited. Besides, it's more fun to eat the player than to swipe objects...

#4 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,916 posts
  • Atari 7800 & NES Developer

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:42 AM

View Post

http://www.atariage....showtopic=74780

:D

That's a very cool idea of letting the player control one of the dragons :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus, Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 AM.

#5 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• 1,673 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:16 AM

So, the second player waits for a dragon to come on the screen, and then he can take control of it?

#6 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:09 PM

I think this game needs a two player linky option.

#7 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:57 PM

So, the second player waits for a dragon to come on the screen, and then he can take control of it?

Basically, yes. You can control the dragons while offscreen too, but you can't see where they are going.

I think this game needs a two player linky option.

View Post

I may be leading up to that. I first need to figure out what data needs to be shared. Since the game relies on hardware collision registers, controller data is not enough. At the very least, one byte per frame?

Slave needs joystick, collision data and console switch data from master, and maybe other things.
Joystick=4 bits, button=1 bit, collision data=3 bits minimum (?)

Although all 8 bits seem to be used, the joystick only represents 9 of 16 possible states (if we assume up+down and/or left+right at the same time are prohibited) and console switches (select and reset) may override the joystick, so they could be encoded in.

Then master only needs joystick data from slave - 4 bits. Again, since there are available states here, a 0000 could be used to signal a NAK.

To begin games in the correct state, a reset occuring from screen zero (the number screen) could first jump to a special routine that syncs up all of RAM. Should be possible with a few moments of screen blanking.

I could be wrong - these are just ideas. Of course this all requires real hardware so the development time is much slower...

#8 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:19 PM

I may be leading up to that.  I first need to figure out what data needs to be shared.  Since the game relies on hardware collision registers, controller data is not enough.  At the very least, one byte per frame?

View Post

Hardware collision registers should be entirely deterministic provided reasonable care is used in accessing them. If the game is synced at startup, controller data should be sufficient to keep it that way.

#9 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:22 PM

I may be leading up to that.  I first need to figure out what data needs to be shared.  Since the game relies on hardware collision registers, controller data is not enough.  At the very least, one byte per frame?

View Post

Hardware collision registers should be entirely deterministic provided reasonable care is used in accessing them. If the game is synced at startup, controller data should be sufficient to keep it that way.

View Post

Only if the same screen is rendered on both systems. In the case of a networked Adventure, one screen would display the player's screen and one a dragon's screen, and so the registers could differ. The only hardware collisions that really matter are those on the player's screen, so sending those bits to the other system along with controller data should be enough.

#10 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:44 PM

Only if the same screen is rendered on both systems.  In the case of a networked Adventure, one screen would display the player's screen and one a dragon's screen, and so the registers could differ.  The only hardware collisions that really matter are those on the player's screen, so sending those bits to the other system along with controller data should be enough.

View Post

(bonking head) Yeah, you're right. Since the dragon/bat don't use collision detection except in relation to the player (I would expect that the dragon can safely run into the sword when not on the player's screen?) one-way passing of collision information would probably suffice. Good thing, since I think the dragon player's screen would probably have to lag behind the other player's by a frame.

#11 atwwong OFFLINE  

atwwong

Stargunner

• 1,177 posts
  • Haunted Adventurer

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:36 AM

I can't believe I missed this all weekend! This is great! Imagine if Warren Robinett had time to figure this out back in '78. We might have had a slew of multiplayer good vs. evil games earlier on. Head-to-head Atari!!! :D

#12 kisrael OFFLINE  

kisrael

HMBL 2600 coder

• 4,073 posts

Posted Sun Mar 5, 2006 8:23 PM

Batari...I mean this sincerely...you are way cool.

#13 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,958 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 PM

I totally missed this before. Thanks for the hack.

#14 Ferret75 OFFLINE  

Ferret75

Chopper Commander

• 122 posts

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 PM

Now if only this was in cartridge form...

#15 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,958 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:03 PM

We'll hopefully have the Chimera cartridge one of these days that just about everyone will be able to afford and you can throw this hack and more on a microSD card and play your brains out on a real Atari.

#16 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:55 PM

After some improvements, maybe...

#17 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• Topic Starter
  • 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon Dec 8, 2008 8:02 PM

There is a slight update to this binary, posted in my blog.

#18 yuppicide OFFLINE  

yuppicide

I am the Black Knight. Give me your money!

• 6,933 posts

Posted Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 PM

Wow awesome! I'd loooooooooove to see a version you could play linked.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users