IGNORED

Thrust Plus High-Score Contest

I took a photo of my high score, and getting my face was a pain (settled on the top half of my head) My score wasn't as impressive as I know it could have been, as I didn't get out of 5 in time, and I died on reverse gravity 6, but next time it will be different, and it will be me with the high score!

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKari:

So 200K is the top score possible on Rookie?

No, I was referering to the optimal score at the point where Chris lost his 5 ships and the game was over.

The practical possible top score when starting at rookie level is 542200 (but Thrust limits this to 499950). After 12 missions the game continues at the start (and difficulty!) of game 1 (24 missions, including the "deadly something") and then follow another 24 missions with game 3 difficulty.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

So, what
is
your high score?

Don't know, never played that intense on Rookie level. Guess why!

On game 1 (which is the most similar to the original C64 Thrust and therefore the one I play most often) I can quite easy get to the first few missions (>12) with the "deadly something".

More than 15 years of training help alot.

Score there should be around 125k, but you can't directly compare that with the Rookie levels scores.

Perhaps some other C64 Thrust veterans might enter the contest too, then I expect to see some really great scores.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

whoo, I made 182k just now. I coulda done better if that pod didn't enjoy flipping me into the wall so much.

Not enough to win, but it's a good showing over yesterdays go.

I'll have to send my score this weekend, as my friend's camera uses a cable to load the pictures to the computer, and he forgot it ;p

It may look like we've all been scared off by the 200k challenge, but what's actually happened is that the link to the message thread on the contest page goes to the wrong place and this thread has now moved to the second page of the 2600 board.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKari:

Just to clarify: does "Sunday at midnight" come right after 11:59 Saturday night, or just before 12:01 Monday? The wording is kinda ambiguious, and I'd rather not send in a score 24 hours late

It means Sunday after 11:59pm.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

...but what's actually happened is that the link to the message thread on the contest page goes to the wrong place...

I've just checked again, the link still goes to the wrong contest.

Al, could you please correct that.

Shoot!!!

I'm stuck on Level 6, dying at about 37k. This is very discouraging.

I don't suppose there could be some sort of consolation prize for best effort, huh?

Steve....wistful for those days of yore when he was a wee lad of 15, and could kick-butt-and-take-names in the videogaming realm....

Thomas -

First, I've got to say, Thrust is as good or better than any professionally published 2600 game I've ever played. It is amazing!

Secondly, in the first page of this thread you said that the last digit, modulo 5, indicates how many 100,000 points the player scored. I remember nothing of my advanced math, and don't know what that means. I just scored over 100k for the first time, and the last digit of my score is zero, just as it's always been, so my score looks like I scored under 10,000 points, rather than over 100,000.

Could you explain how 'modulo' works, for the ignorant (like me) among us?

Thanks,

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Jacobs:

Thomas -

First, I've got to say, Thrust is as good or better than any professionally published 2600 game I've ever played. It is amazing!

Seconded.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Jacobs:

Secondly, in the first page of this thread you said that the last digit, modulo 5, indicates how many 100,000 points the player scored. I remember nothing of my advanced math, and don't know what that means. I just scored over 100k for the first time, and the last digit of my score is zero, just as it's always been, so my score looks like I scored under 10,000 points, rather than over 100,000.

Could you explain how 'modulo' works

I can field this. First up, it's the second-last digit. Second, modulo means remainder. Divide by five and take the remainer. 0/5 = 0, no remainder. 1/5 = 0, remainer 1. 2/5 = 0, remainder 2. ... 5/5 = 1, no remainder. 6/5 = 1, remainder 1. etc.

Thirdeded

To give a critique: after playing this game incessantly for the past week, about the only suggestion I could offer would be to impliment the changes you've already made in Thrust+. It will be so sweet to do this: s_ThrustPlus_5.png&SuperText=Thrust%20Plus (Thrusting with shield on).

My score right now is 181560. I'll give it another shot before this contest ends in 2 hours, but I really can't see myself doing any better: the game requires such precise control and my only working stick (Mindscape Powerplayer) doesn't really offer the finesse I'd like. Plus, I'd need an extra pack of smokes to beat level 24 (so...close).

Bah. One more shot.