IGNORED

ColecoVision Spectar Homebrew Released!

Albert

spectar.jpgScott Huggins has crafted his second masterpiece for the ColecoVision, this time bringing the classic arcade game Spectar to the system. As with Scott Huggin's first ColecoVision game (Astro Invader), Scott's done an excellent job of recreating this arcade classic on the ColecoVision, a system with a large library of quality arcade ports. In the city of the Spectars, the valiant Wummel continues the crusade against evil and injustice. How many levels can YOU clear in the role of the heroic Wummel? To learn more and purchase a copy of Spectar, please visit the AtariAge Store.
  • Like 1

Yes! I've been waiting for this one. I played a lot of it at the Dallas VGXpo, and I was even going to trade Scott an Atari 800XL for a copy of the game. I've got to send him a PM and arrange to get a copy! And I finally have to break down and disassemble one of my Colecovisions, and clean up the power switch so the thing will work!

I have an earlier ROM from Scott but it's his property and I thank him for the chance to give it a go. (I wish I could get my emulator to work properly)

I guess it's soon time to buy myself a copy of this long awaited cart! Thanks Scott, look forward to this one!

From the rom I have, it's quite like the arcade and alot of fun. It does get hard after a bit but I was never great at this in the arcade. As for bonus content... Targ was to be included as an easter egg (Not in the ROM I have) but I'm not sure if it made it to the final release. Perhaps Scott can chime in on this one!? :)

Any extra features make it in ?I dont remember what but at the time it was first brought up wasnt there going to be some other playable game in it?

Either way Im going to pick it up as Ive been waiting for its release :D

Unfortunately, no. Scott and I were talking about it when I first did the art last year and we had an idea for a Dodge 'Em style mini-game but it turned out he didn't have room for it after all. I've played the rom of this cart version, trust me, it won't disappoint even without the mini-game. As usual Scott did a fantastic job of getting this thing to be as arcade perfect as possible. It's been a long time in the works but the wait is worth it from my experience playing it.

The artwork on the label, manual and box ain't too shabby either... OUCH I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back :D

Edited by joeybastard

Thanks for the comments, everyone!!

Tom- if you can score more than 40k, I'd say you are doing great! What's your best so far? Troy Whelan did a ton of play testing and I think he got around 55k. If you get "in a groove", you can go for a LONG time on this one!

Manuel- thanks! I'm pretty driven to try and finish Phoenix that I started years ago. If only I were as talented as Mr. Opcode....

How is Colony 7 coming? I played it on my mame cabinet for an hour the other day. It's such an awesome game. I do SOO hope you get that one out soon!

Scott

post-7327-1142614783_thumb.jpg

Tom- if you can score more than 40k, I'd say you are doing great! What's your best so far? Troy Whelan did a ton of play testing and I think he got around 55k. If you get "in a groove", you can go for a LONG time on this one!

Scott

Scott,

I've reached screen 26 and hit a little over 145,000 so far. That ones on tape!

I saw Troy's name in the credits. I didn't realize till then that he was involved. After I told him his name was in there, he said that he had tested it and gave input on the game. :D

Be the way Scott, I thought I heard something about you sending in some scores?

Tom

Oh. My. Lord.

145k?!?!?!! Stop the presses. We have a pro. You are one of those pros over at Twin Galaxies, eh? I just noticed you own the world record for Astro Invader too. well, I've almost doubled your 16k score on Astro before, but once I set up the tripod to record a game (tried this about 2 months ago), I got nervous and tanked. Got about 12k as my best. I will try again this weekend.

Very, very impressive Tom. Sheez. You're in another league for sure.

Scott

Scott,

I saw Troy's name in the credits. I didn't realize till then that he was involved. After I told him his name was in there, he said that he had tested it and gave input on the game. :D

Tom

Manuel- thanks! I'm pretty driven to try and finish Phoenix that I started years ago. If only I were as talented as Mr. Opcode....

Phoenix would be cool! :)

I'm sure you've aquired some z80 assembler skills by now as well?

How is Colony 7 coming? I played it on my mame cabinet for an hour the other day. It's such an awesome game. I do SOO hope you get that one out soon!

Ah, it may still take a while. 3-4 months at least. But it'll definitely be ready in time for the 8K mini game deadline :)

Phoenix would be cool! :)

I'll second that, as Phoenix was one of those games I pumped a lot of quarters into when I was a kid. I didn't have a lot of quarters back then, so I had to spend them wisely! I even had a working Phoenix arcade cabinet several years ago (wish I still had it!)

..Al

The artwork on the label, manual and box ain't too shabby either... OUCH I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back :D

I was about to congratulate you on some nice work on the artwork, but you've already taken the liberty :D

Really, though. Nice work!

:)

And congrats to Scott Huggins as well. More Coleco is good. I will have to pick up a copy. :cool:

Scott

Scott,

Tom

Tom - Keep in mind that the ROM image I was testing was not the final version, so 55K is not my break point! ;) Although if you are already at 145K and my game has not yet arrived, then I have a lot of catching up to do!

Scott - I really enjoyed helping you out with that and watching the game evolve. Keep me in mind for future releases as well. Also, Tom might be a willing participant to help with testing. BTW, is Targ still in the future?

Troy

Tom - Keep in mind that the ROM image I was testing was not the final version, so 55K is not my break point! ;) Although if you are already at 145K and my game has not yet arrived, then I have a lot of catching up to do!

Troy

Troy,

This is true. Also going from keyboard to joystick will make a big differance, but.....I wouldn't pay attention to the 145K score. ;)

Tom

Perhaps, this is obvious to everyone by now, but plug your favorite Atari 2600 joystick into port #1, and then a regualr CV controller into port #2. Then, start the game using the controller in port two and play the game using the 2600 joystick. Much nicer to play the game!

Troy

Troy,

This is true. Also going from keyboard to joystick will make a big differance, but.....I wouldn't pay attention to the 145K score. ;)

Tom