IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 36: Montezuma's Revenge

Ze_ro

Important Note - This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Montezuma's Revenge and compare future scores, feel free to do so here.

PANAMA JOE, That’s what they call him ‘round these parts; though no one knows his real name or where he comes from. But one thing’s for sure, PANAMA JOE’s a daredevil from the word “go!” No risk’s too great if the reward’s large enough. Winning. That’s what’s the most important to him. And more times than not, that’s exactly what he does. Because he’s tough, clever – resourceful. And sometimes, downright pig-headed! Though occasionally (ah-hum), he’s been known to get in over his head. Luckily, he’s got a knack for getting himself out of hot water as quickly as he gets into it! Let’s hope MONTEZUMA’S REVENGE is one of those times.

Game Information

• Game Name: Montezuma's Revenge
  • Released By: Parker Bros.
  • Left Difficulty: Not Applicable?
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable?
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: vdub_bobby

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, March 28th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be cyberneticimplant! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 539,800 (stop_rebel_scum) [+11]
  2. 77,800 (vdub_bobby) [+10]
  3. 61,800 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 48,800 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 43,100 (graywest) [+7]
  6. 31,700 (supercat) [+6]
  7. 4900 (Goochman) [+5]
  8. 4600 (scogey) [+4]
  9. 1500 (khryssun) [+3]

Best Tips

• stop_rebel_scum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 159,800 (Richard Wensing)
  2. 115,400 (Mark Androvich)
  3. 77,400 (Alan W Hewston)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually

Member List

bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, Gateway, Rom Hunter, gospeedde

Scoring Points in Montezuma's Revenge

• Collect a Key - 100 points
  • Collect a Amulet - 200 points
  • Collect a Jewel - 1000 points
  • Collect a Torch - 3000 points
  • Kill a Skull - 2000 points
  • Kill a Spider - 3000 points
  • Open a Door - 300 points
  • You’ll gain an extra life for every 10,000 points scored
  • You can have a maximum of 6 lives at once

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual online. Unfortunately, the manual provides no specific hints.

If you're holding four items, you can't pick up any other items, INCLUDING gems. This can be frustrating. One way to get rid of the extra item is to use swords rather than hoard them... if you win a level and still have a sword, that's points you could have got by killing something. I don't enjoy the routes used on the maps posted on AA, but the maps are great for knowing what sword-vulnerable enemies are ahead so you can plan to kill the one that's the most dangeous.

Another thing to watch out for: if there are two bouncing skulls, the sword will only kill one of them. This means either don't use swords on them, or aim for the second one rather than killing the first and having the second grab you. If you're coming from the room above the skull room on a ladder, you can just hold down and avoid them completely. Don't bother jumping skulls or spiders if a ladder is available to hide on so they can just pass.

--Ze_ro

Rather tough game. I almost had a chance to get the cartridge, but was beaten to the punch!

31,700. I use a different route from that shown on the map. I start by going right, right, down, right, down, right, grab goodies in dark, left, updown, left (BE CAREFUL OF HIDDEN SNAKE AT LEFT OF PIT!), up. Doing things this way means it's only necessary to go through the four-forcefields room once.

Got to third level, but died three times on the 2nd screen in the 3rd level! :roll:

post-6060-1143046188_thumb.png

EDIT: Judging from the manual, the game ends after the third level:

In this game, there are 3 Difficulty Levels. Each time you successfully complete one Difficulty Level, and have a remaining PANAMA JOE, you’ll automatically advance to the next Difficulty Level.

Not completely clear, though. :ponder:

EDIT II: I beat the 3rd level today; it kept going - looked like it repeated the 3rd level, though I died too quickly to verify. :ponder:

My guess is it repeats level 3 forever.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Here's mine, 87,600... I can do way better though

If you're holding four items, you can't pick up any other items, INCLUDING gems. This can be frustrating. One way to get rid of the extra item is to use swords rather than hoard them... if you win a level and still have a sword, that's points you could have got by killing something. I don't enjoy the routes used on the maps posted on AA, but the maps are great for knowing what sword-vulnerable enemies are ahead so you can plan to kill the one that's the most dangeous.

Another thing to watch out for: if there are two bouncing skulls, the sword will only kill one of them. This means either don't use swords on them, or aim for the second one rather than killing the first and having the second grab you. If you're coming from the room above the skull room on a ladder, you can just hold down and avoid them completely. Don't bother jumping skulls or spiders if a ladder is available to hide on so they can just pass.

One thing I like about this game is that it's not timed, so you can stop and plan a jump or move for a long time. Also the controls are very tight, which I enjoy. You can make Joe turn left or right without moving a step, but it's hard because he's so jumpy. The 5200 version is wonderful, with so much more to explore, though. I can't make it too far with my 5200 controllers the way they are. Spiders can also climb ladders in that one, yeesh!

Anyone know how the C64 version compares?

post-8953-1143229182_thumb.jpg

here's my much better.. 539,800. I got a little bored and became reckless but it seemed possible to keep going to 999,999. Maybe if I have a lot of time on my hands some day. It definitely does repeat level three on and on without variation, a bit disappointing, but I love the game anyway.

oh and something weird I noticed.. if you hold the reset switch down, the skull in the first room will still roll slowly in place but won't move.

post-8953-1143419652_thumb.jpg

Edited by stop_rebel_scum

Well, that's the (belated) end of this week's competition. I hope everyone enjoyed playing Montezuma's Revenge! Join us again next time when we'll pilot a squadron of fighters with just a paddle and a button!

--Zero