IGNORED

COLECO Head 2 Head plug-n-play for $2.00

Prodos8

The Wal-Mart near me is blowing these out for $2 each, so I broke down and bought one. The games are crappy NES renditions of the old sports themed hand held Coleco LED games. Needless to say, they don't translate well to TV type games. My daughter and I blew through all the games in about 20 minutes, and it was really a chore. It also has a space invaders type game, missle command type game, breakout clone and a pong game, these are probably the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

Edited by Prodos8

I was checking this thing out at the store and couldn't bring myself to letting this thing take up any space in my room. Why couldn't they release a mini-Colecovision with some of the library... well I guess the licensing would be a royal pain in the rump.

this $2 Coleco is best left on the shelf...

I picked up one of these last night...at $2.50 I figured it was worth it. Be advised, there are 2 versions available at Wal-Mart: Single player, or the 2 Player version that comes in a carying case. They are both the same price, so If you do decide to get one, get the 2 player version.

The sports games are pretty bad, but the raquetball game is pretty fun. the best game on the system is the Arkanoid clone. I thought it was going to be like Breakout, and was actually surprised when powerups began to fall from the bricks.

Be advised, there are 2 versions available at Wal-Mart: Single player, or the 2 Player version that comes in a carying case. They are both the same price, so If you do decide to get one, get the 2 player version.

Yeah, definitely look for the two player one as it has more games and in my case was actually $0.50 cheaper than the one player deal. Plus, with the two player system, you can share the pain of these games with another person. ;)

Just came back from the Irving, TX Wal-Mart, Coleco Head-to-Head in hand. I was expecting them to have sold out before I got there, but they had plenty. Really. They had dozens of each one. They're not going to run out anytime soon.

I also picked up a Pelican brand wireless Xbox controller for $15. So I guess the horror of having to set foor inside a Wal-Mart ended up being worth it.

Edit: Have any of you with the 2-player version noticed the connector for the second controller? Recognise it? It's a GameCube connector! Comparing it next to a real GameCube connector, it doesn't have as many pins in the plug. I'm kind of afraid to plug the Coleco controller into a GameCube. I don't know how it'll react. I don't want to short out anything in my 'Cube.

Edited by SteveW

Edit: Have any of you with the 2-player version noticed the connector for the second controller? Recognise it? It's a GameCube connector! Comparing it next to a real GameCube connector, it doesn't have as many pins in the plug. I'm kind of afraid to plug the Coleco controller into a GameCube. I don't know how it'll react. I don't want to short out anything in my 'Cube.

It does look kinda like the GameCube connnector, but its only got five wires just like an NES controller. I'd assume if you wire it to a normal NES connector it would work just fine on an NES. However, I find it to be quite cheaply made and not worthy of any kind of said conversion.

The second Coleco controller plugged in to the GameCube, but it didn't do anything. It's the same shape and connection type, it just doesn't have all the connectors inside the plug. I wonder why they used a GC type connector, when they could always fall back on the standard DB-9 plug?

Mine didn't work at first, for some reason. I gave up, and tried it out later, and it worked fine. Now that i've played the so-called 'games'..... What were they thinking when they came up with the game Kung Fu Fly Catcher? What a weird one. I guess that it would be slightly more interesting with another person, but still... it's one of the stupidest games i've ever seen in all my years of game playing.

I picked up the Coleco H2H finally; $4.88 was too much, but $2.50 was alright. (An aside: my Wal-Mart still had a price-tag for $4.88 on the shelf, but the scanner showed $2.50. Check a scanner if your local WM shows a higher priced shelf label, since this seems like a company-wide markdown. Interestingly, my discount card worked-- clearance items normally don't allow discounts.)

Spent a little time with the system tonight, and you know? It's not terribly bad. I'm not a big fan of sports games, so I've not tried half of the selections, but... it's okay. The ergonomic feel of the controllers isn't as bad as I imagined; the d-pad works out, and while the thumb buttons are clicky and oddly-shaped, they work well. The controllers are molded a little to make them more comfortable than I expected-- I hated the uncomfortable squared edges of 70s LED handhelds, which these are obviously designed to mimic, but these are okay.

Boxing reminded me of Activision's Boxing... except a little better, with controls for left/right gloves which requires more than rapid button mashing. Wall Breaker plays like an evolutionary transition form between Breakout and Arkanoid; slight power-ups, a little more variety than the original... visually bleah. Sea Defender is an okay Missile Command clone; the explosions are too quick, though, removing much of the strategy of timing explosions to hit multiple targets. (Plus, the missiles aren't launched en masse, which was always a great/terrifying scenario in the original.) Deep Sea Madness is a not-bad version of Space Invaders; graphically more impressive than Inty Space Armada, I was having fun until the game ended from the creatures landing... *ABOVE THE GODDAMN SHIELDS*. Yeah, the game ends if the enemy makes it halfway down. Car Racing reminded me of O^2's Speedway and the Inty Triple Challenge racer... KFFC reminds me of those junior-high school games like "strawberry" where you try to smack your partner's hand, while they try to jerk their hand away... if you get into the mood of trying to get the quickest reaction time possible, you get an itchy trigger finger, and anticipating the fly's buzz almost becomes nerve-wracking, causing one to prematurely smack the button.

Oh, and so far, my best reaction time on Kung Fu Fly Catcher is 0.04 seconds. Anyone do better?

I'd be curious to see what sports-game fans think of this system's selections versus, say, the CV or Inty sports games. They look more impressive than Home Run or Football for 2600...

After seeing this thread I picked it up today at WalMart for $4.00 dollars Canadian so about $3.25 USD. It was worth it. The controller is ackward but hell its better than a stock coleco controller. The Space Invader clone and the Breakout clone are the highlights for me and the Hockey game is OK too. The rest of the games wont see much play. But ya $3.25 cant go wrong.

Side Note: Did you see the copied the NGC controller end on the P2 joystick? I got a good laugh outta that.

I'd be curious to see what sports-game fans think of this system's selections versus, say, the CV or Inty sports games. They look more impressive than Home Run or Football for 2600...

I'm no sports fan, but considering they had over a QUARTER CENTURY to improve on those titles I'd say they fell miserably short. I mean on most of the games you don't even move the players, only the ball moves. Now, I realize they were trying to recreate those old LED hand-helds, but please you have a dynamic TV display at your disposal so please take advantage of it. Who in the heck wants to play LED games on their TV anyway??

But for $2 I'm not gonna complain...now if I'd bought it for full price I would have certainly taken it back for a refund.

I'm no sports fan, but considering they had over a QUARTER CENTURY to improve on those titles I'd say they fell miserably short. I mean on most of the games you don't even move the players, only the ball moves. Now, I realize they were trying to recreate those old LED hand-helds, but please you have a dynamic TV display at your disposal so please take advantage of it. Who in the heck wants to play LED games on their TV anyway??

But for $2 I'm not gonna complain...now if I'd bought it for full price I would have certainly taken it back for a refund.

Ahh... I didn't realize they were trying to recreate the old LED games. I just tried them out... and yeah, many of the sports games suck. That style of gameplay would have made sense if the entire package was full of LED/LCD game recreations, but coupled with acton games with real motion (Sea Defender, et al), those games stick out like a sore thumb. At least Boxing's not like that.

I gotta wonder why Techno Source/River West Brands assumed that gamers who recognized the name "Coleco" would fondly remember the LED games rather than the ColecoVision games. Would it have been that hard to knock off some action-oriented sports games that are reminiscent of CV titles (thus still staying away from Telegames' properties)?

I gotta wonder why Techno Source/River West Brands assumed that gamers who recognized the name "Coleco" would fondly remember the LED games rather than the ColecoVision games. Would it have been that hard to knock off some action-oriented sports games that are reminiscent of CV titles (thus still staying away from Telegames' properties)?

I beleive they intended/hoped for some people to be confused and think this was CV related and buy it.

When I first saw the thing last summer, I initially thought it was CV games until I looked closely at the box.

• 3 weeks later...
I beleive they intended/hoped for some people to be confused and think this was CV related and buy it.

I was under the impression it was a CV when I bought it. I was expecting a similar product to a Jakks Atari stick. I'm still happy with it as I moded it with a jack to take a 6v power supply so it's no sucking down energizers like it was (the Coleco H2H is a battery PIG if you didn't already know) and I gave it to my handicap nephew to play with. He only has total use of one of his hands so this coleco was alot more simple for him. He uses is stonger hand to control the square direction al pad and he weak hand to control the fire buttons. He really enjoy's Fly Catcher and the Space Invaders clone. You never seen a happier 6 year old :)

I was under the impression it was a CV when I bought it. I was expecting a similar product to a Jakks Atari stick. I'm still happy with it as I moded it with a jack to take a 6v power supply so it's no sucking down energizers like it was (the Coleco H2H is a battery PIG if you didn't already know) and I gave it to my handicap nephew to play with. He only has total use of one of his hands so this coleco was alot more simple for him. He uses is stonger hand to control the square direction al pad and he weak hand to control the fire buttons. He really enjoy's Fly Catcher and the Space Invaders clone. You never seen a happier 6 year old :)

That's a very nice story, Shawn. Thanks for sharing. :)