IGNORED

Atari Movie

Gregory DG

I've been thinking there should be a movie about the rise and fall of Atari ever since I saw the Bill Gates/ Steve Jobs story... (Now what was the movie called?)

It would have to focus on Busnhell, of course and we'd likely see the early years for 3/4ths of the movie, but I think this is something that needs to be done.

Any budding film students out there want to tackle this project?

I think you are referring to "The Pirate's of Silicon Valley" that was on TBS or TNT? That was a good movie, and I could see the Atari story done in a similar way. You do know that Jobs actually worked at Atari for a while (had something to do with the Breakout Coin Op), and later Bushnell turned down the chance to invest in Apple Computer!

What scenes would you like to see in an Atari movie? I'd like to see:

1. Bushnell at MIT seeing Space War for the first time.

2. Building Computer Space, failing to sell it.

3. Going to the Business office with the name Syzgy (whatever) and changing the name to Atari.

4. Making the Pong machines.

5. Kicking his daughter out of her bedroom.

6. Dropping off Pong at Andy Capp's.

7. Getting the infamous "repair" call from Andy Capp's.

8. Hiring Steve Jobs.

9. Selling Pong consoles to Sears.

10. Seeing the Booming arcades with Pong clones.

11. Bushnell creating Kee Games to compete with himself.

11. Seeing Asteroids and the other games being built.

12. Seeing the hot-tub meetings (complete with Pot-cloud.)

13. Designing the 2600.

14. Selling Atari to Warner.

15. Seeing the Warner Atari execs driving around in expensive cars.

16. Giving Tod Fry his famous Pac-Man contract.

Etc... Etc... Etc...

What scenes do you think should be included?

..founding Chuck-e-cheese?

I dunno, maybe the Activision story might be good? Or what about a comedy about the making of Mystiques games?

Ah, you might have something here tho, you'd just have to be careful not to make it about just making money - that kinda sucks on film. Maybe cutting out at the release of Space Invaders would be a good move - y'know end on a high.

Who would we get to play Bushnell? Donald Sutherland, or Elliot Gould? Maybe Gabe Kaplan (you know, Kotter!)?? Is he still around?

Those guys are too old to play Bushnell. I mean, he was in his late 20's early 30's when all this happened.

I could probably play him, but I'd need to wear a curly wig! Hmmm... Who COULD play Bushnell?

Also, there needs to be a close friend... What was Bushnell's friend who went to the business office with him? I can't remember.

problem with an Atari film - it wouldn't have a real good 'lead' character. Bushnell all but disappears from the story before the first half and you're left looking at a load of bumbling idiots for the next hour.

Bushnell all but disappears from the story before the first half and you're left looking at a load of bumbling idiots for the next hour.

Which is why I think it should be 1.5 hours with Bushnell and the last .5 would be the bumbling Tramiels.

The thing is, Atari really took off once Bushnesll sold it to Warner Bros. And there really isn't a dynamic person to take over the story during those middle years.

Of course, the script could take a bit of a historical license... Keeping Bushnell "around" during the Warner years.

Anyway, I think an Atari movie NEEDS to be made!

quote:

Originally posted by MrRetroGamer:

I think you are referring to "The Pirate's of Silicon Valley" that was on TBS or TNT? That was a good movie, and I could see the Atari story done in a similar way. You do know that Jobs actually worked at Atari for a while (had something to do with the Breakout Coin Op), and later Bushnell turned down the chance to invest in Apple Computer!

actually Jobs built his first apple proto with parts that he "borowed" from atari ....