IGNORED

What Screen Resolution Do You Use?

Tempest

I was just looking at my new websites test page from work and I noticed that it looked much bigger than it did on my home computer. It must be because I'm using a very high resolution at home (1024x768) and a normal resolution (800x600) at work. I don't want my webpage to look funny if viewed at the wrong resolution so I was wondering which one most of you use?

I also noticed that my main site 8-bit Rot (http://www.msu.edu/user/reicher6/) looks off center and has alot of word wrap at 800x600. If you want to see what it should look like (what I see) use 1024x768.

Is there a easy way to adjust the resoultion according to the viewer or do you just go with one and screw the other guy?

Tempest

I use 800 x 600.

17" monitor-

Tempest i looked at your site and it didn't look off center. Meaning I didn't have a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.

I checked several of your links and they were all fine.

I know what you mean about having the site look funny at different places.

my site http://www.elmoandfriends.com

looks fine here at home. but at work through our system it looks like crap becasue they have it set for 16 colors- my wife's company is the same way. the photos are all blackish.

I usually worry more about the site working in ie and netscape than anything else.

I don't want to get into trying to make it aol compatable.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I was just looking at my new websites test page from work and I noticed that it looked much bigger than it did on my home computer. It must be because I'm using a very high resolution at home (1024x768) and a normal resolution (800x600) at work. I don't want my webpage to look funny if viewed at the wrong resolution so I was wondering which one most of you use?

I also noticed that my main site 8-bit Rot (
) looks off center and has alot of word wrap at 800x600. If you want to see what it should look like (what I see) use 1024x768.

Is there a easy way to adjust the resoultion according to the viewer or do you just go with one and screw the other guy?

Tempest

I run 1280x1024. My web site is designed for 800x600. I've found that the best way to control the look of a site is to either fix the width (and possibly height) by use of Tables, or to make sure your content still looks good when Resized. After fighting the resizable problems, I stuck with a Fixed Width.

You can also combine those options so that certain things stay a fixed size, while other aspects shrink and grow as the page changes sizes.

If its a FONT size problem, then you need to stick with the basic fonts (Arial, etc..) and specify a specific Size (8pt, 10pt, etc...). If you sepcify + and - or the big and small tags, then you have less control over how it looks.

Its a major pain to get it to look perfect in every browser, so just pick one or two and go with that.

Well I'm going to optimize the site for 1024x768 but I'll make sure it doesn't look bad in 800x600. I had fix a problem with it just last night. Apprently Netscape 4.7 and my site don't agree...

Is there a way to shrink or expand images based on the users resolution? I just noticed that my column of buttons goes from the top of the screen to the bottom in 800x600 but is just half way down in 1024x768.

Tempest

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can delete your own posts if you you click on the Edit icon above the post (it has a piece of paper with a pencil). There's then a checkbox that says, "Delete Post?". As for your multiple posts, pressing "Preview" won't do it, but pressing the "Add Reply" button more than once will cause you to post multiple times. This sometimes happens to me if I go back a page after posting and then accidently press Enter while the "Add Reply" button has focus.

..Al