IGNORED

snes cd

atari_2600_master

supposedly no. Few renders exist, though.

The story:

Nintendo wanted to make a SNES cd add-on for their SNES, so they contracted Sony to help them with the Cd technology. This was cool, because Sony supplied Nintendo with sound chips at the time.

Soon after this announcement, Phillips realeased its Cd-i technology which was a breakthrough for the market. Nintendo saw this as a good sign, and brought Phillips onto the team. Sony found out and got pissed becuase this violates the contract.

The story splits here. Some people say that Sony wen't to create a new console to rival Nintendo, and the code named it the Play Station X, or PSX. Other people say that the add-on was already basically designed, and it could easily be turned into a standalone console. So Sony releases its PS1, and Phillips released the Cd-i. The PS and the cd-i are both bastard children of this deal. Ever wonder why there are games like Hotel MArion on the Cd-i?

famicoman summoned it up correct to happend to snes cd with sony and the happens with phillips.

Here is a little more detail behind why it was concelled and what caused the n64 be a cartidge not a cd system.

What happened was nintendo didn't released a the snes cd because of sega cd's failure and the turbo cd's sales. That is what people expected the reason why nintendo didn't make the n64 a cd system besides the snes cd. The turbo cd came first and didn't do too well. By early 93 the add was supposed to be released, but wasn't. It wasn't help at the time the sega cd cost a quite a bit of money for being add-on and didn't the games didn't sell well. It was over 300 dollars I thought in 1992 for the sega cd along with bad titles like the make "your video" games that came out. It did sell decently when it first launch in the U.S.

Philps was allowed zelda and Mario games from nintendo for using their names with the games not being made by nintendo.

Later on game magazines played dumb with the snes cd question without saying it was concelled back in later 1993, I think it was when it was asked. The megazine that reported on the delays months earier did this.

Edited by 8th lutz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...