Photo

Rainbow Invaders Label Contest - Winner Announced!

62 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,272 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 PM

Rainbow Invaders is a new Space Invaders style game for the Atari 2600 from Italian developer Silvio Mogno. While many games of this nature have been released for the 2600 (to say nothing of the countless Space Invaders hacks), Silvio's game adds a breath of fresh air to the genre. Yes, you are shooting at descending waves of alien invaders, attempting to finish them off before they reach the ground. However, the aliens also periodically drop one of 16 random Special Shots, some of which will help and some of which will hinder your efforts if you catch them. Your ship also features a shield that will make you invulnerable for a few seconds, at the expense of not being able to fire again right away.

AtariAge and Silvio Mogno are sponsoring a contest to create original artwork for Rainbow Invaders This label artwork will appear on all copies of Rainbow Invaders, which will be available through the AtariAge Store. This artwork will also be featured on the cover of the manual created for Rainbow Invaders.You can learn more about how to enter the contest here.

Rainbow Invaders Contest Winner Announced!

There were many great entries submitted to the Rainbow Invaders Label Contest, and the difficult decision to choose a single winner fell upon programmer Silvio Mogno. After careful thought, Silvio picked one of Nathan Strum's designs as the label to grace the shipping version of Rainbow Invaders. Nathan's winning label design will appear on all copies of Rainbow Invaders sold through the AtariAge Store, including the cover of the manual (which has also been designed by Nathan). For winning the contest, Nathan will receive a $100 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store, as well as a copy of Rainbow Invaders featuring his winning design. Congratulations to Nathan Strum and to all the participants who took the time to enter the contest and show off their talents!

#2 Gateway OFFLINE  

Gateway

River Patroller

• 2,149 posts
  • Trotter Atari Globetrotter now on Facebook!

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:24 PM

Kermit: "Someday will find it, The Rainbow Connection..." :)

Yay! I like this game. I'll try to actually design something this time( though i said that with the last contest :ponder: )

#3 Silvio Mogno OFFLINE  

Silvio Mogno

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2006 5:48 AM

Kermit: "Someday will find it, The Rainbow Connection..." :)

I haven't any original idea to name this game... :) But you'll have to admit that enemyes are a bit more colourful than many similar 2600 titles.

Ciao,

Silvio

#4 Silvio Mogno OFFLINE  

Silvio Mogno

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2006 5:53 AM

Hi everyone,

some people helped me with debugging and improvements so I'm releasing a new version in this forum in some days. Just the time to review the manual.

Ciao,

Silvio

#5 Ranthulfr OFFLINE  

Ranthulfr

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2006 8:52 PM

These AtariAge contests are awesome and this game looks great. But it seems to me that more people would participate if this was strictly an art/illustration contest. In other words I think the technical requirements of laying out front and end labels might discourage some people from submitting artwork. And while graphics software can produce some nice results I wouldn't mind seeing an old-school painting make it onto a label sometime. If nothing else it might add to the retro feel of the game.

#6 Jacob Rose OFFLINE  

Jacob Rose

Dragonstomper

• 545 posts

Posted Wed May 3, 2006 8:10 AM

I haven't any original idea to name this game... :) But you'll have to admit that enemyes are a bit more colourful than many similar 2600 titles.

Silvio,

Are you saying that you might consider alternate titles? Should we have a naming contest too?

Jacob

#7 Jacob Rose OFFLINE  

Jacob Rose

Dragonstomper

• 545 posts

Posted Wed May 3, 2006 1:25 PM

...But it seems to me that more people would participate if this was strictly an art/illustration contest. In other words I think the technical requirements of laying out front and end labels might discourage some people from submitting artwork. And while graphics software can produce some nice results I wouldn't mind seeing an old-school painting make it onto a label sometime...

There have been some quite painterly submissions in the past. For instance, Alexius Wronka's entry into the Krokodile Cart label contest. I believe the official line regarding work that doesn't quite conform to the rules in some details is that if the art is good enough, AA and the author will work with the artist to get the label ready. So, if you have a great idea but can't for some reason put the production time into making it look like a label, your design would probably have to be significantly better than the competition to win, but if I understand correctly, it wouldn't be ruled out.

#8 stop_rebel_scum OFFLINE  

stop_rebel_scum

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Wed May 3, 2006 1:50 PM

I'm very excited about this and have almost finished my first entry already. It isn't likely to take anything home yet, but It's better than I thought I could do.

Any idea where I can lay ahold of the standard atari font? I already searched the forums and got this thread first.

#9 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,004 posts
  • Flickering

Posted Wed May 3, 2006 4:57 PM

You can get the fonts here. (Bauhaus is a better match though, if you can find it.)

Not an easy link to find. It'd be nice if the fonts were linked to from the contest page. :ponder:

As for the label layout, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just focus on the illustration and overall concept of the design. Contest winners inevitably go through some changes after the fact anyway.

#10 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,004 posts
  • Flickering

Posted Wed May 3, 2006 4:59 PM

And as far as names go... how about Spectrum Invaders? :ponder:

Edited by Nathan Strum, Wed May 3, 2006 5:03 PM.

#11 Silvio Mogno OFFLINE  

Silvio Mogno

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 12:36 AM

Silvio,

Are you saying that you might consider alternate titles? Should we have a naming contest too?

Jacob

I think the name is a bit strange, but for me it sounds good. Maybe for my next game there will be a naming contest... ;)

Silvio

#12 Jacob Rose OFFLINE  

Jacob Rose

Dragonstomper

• 545 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 4:32 AM

I think the name is a bit strange, but for me it sounds good. Maybe for my next game there will be a naming contest... ;)

Silvio

I was just confused because you wrote in the present tense, like you were still pondering names. :)

#13 8bitclassics OFFLINE  

8bitclassics

Dragonstomper

• 562 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 5:36 AM

Here is a copy of my first entry submitted. Top label only. Quality reduced for faster loading.

Corey

Attached Thumbnails

• a26_rinvad_top.jpg

#14 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,272 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 7:31 AM

You can get the fonts here. (Bauhaus is a better match though, if you can find it.)

Not an easy link to find. It'd be nice if the fonts were linked to from the contest page. :ponder:

Good idea, I'll change that.

..Al

#15 8bitclassics OFFLINE  

8bitclassics

Dragonstomper

• 562 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 9:23 AM

Here is my second entry into the contest.

Oops, just noticed I missed the whole bottom row of squid aliens. Guess I will have to add that row.

Attached Thumbnails

• a26_rainbow_inv_entry2.jpg

Edited by 8bitclassics, Thu May 4, 2006 1:26 PM.

#16 stop_rebel_scum OFFLINE  

stop_rebel_scum

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2006 10:42 PM

here's a jpg of the first version of my first attempt.. needs a bit of cleaning up which I will try to do later.

Attached Thumbnails

• tester.jpg

#17 Silvio Mogno OFFLINE  

Silvio Mogno

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Fri May 5, 2006 12:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Here's the beta version of the game, with a revised manual.

I changed a bit of things in the game according with suggestions I received.

Happy playing! :)

Ciao,

Silvio

Attached Files

#18 mojofltr OFFLINE  

mojofltr

River Patroller

• 2,594 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2006 9:17 AM

Hoping to get some sort of inspiration for a label design, I sat down and redrew each of the invaders as I think they might look in some sort of alien cartoon world. I'm still stumped as far as a design goes, but I thought I'd share my drawings. :)

small.gif

Edited by mojofltr, Sat May 6, 2006 9:34 AM.

#19 manu_pkp OFFLINE  

manu_pkp

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2006 9:24 AM

Here's what I just submitted:

Posted Image

#20 Silph Creator OFFLINE  

Silph Creator

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2006 6:38 PM

erm. so this is me entry:

i dunno why the actual ship is so jiggidy. oh well. life sucks. deal with it :)

Attached Thumbnails

• atari_competition_entry.png

#21 stop_rebel_scum OFFLINE  

stop_rebel_scum

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2006 8:34 PM

here's my finished version

Attached Thumbnails

• goodproto.jpg

#22 stop_rebel_scum OFFLINE  

stop_rebel_scum

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2006 11:10 PM

My second version. Should I take out the pixelly ones? hm. More tries coming up.

Attached Thumbnails

• lotsamonstersvers2.jpg

#23 Silph Creator OFFLINE  

Silph Creator

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sun May 7, 2006 3:18 AM

yeah the pixel ones make it seem cluttered...
but try give it a fulfilling background or something

#24 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,004 posts
  • Flickering

Posted Sun May 7, 2006 4:31 AM

Here's what I just submitted:

Posted Image

That is very cool! A nice nod to the original SI label, and great original artwork too!

#25 Happy_Dude OFFLINE  

Happy_Dude

River Patroller

• 4,212 posts
  • Forum Slacker

Posted Sun May 7, 2006 6:59 AM

somthing quick. circle ufos are hard to draw .....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users