IGNORED

plug n play menacer and outrun

jboypacman

has any one played the plug n play sega menacer gun or the outrun one?i have seen these at are local gamestop for about $5.00.i bought the space invaders plug n play there for the same price and its great.i was thinking about picking one of the other ones up at that cheap price but was hoping on get some feed back on them.any heads up on these whould be great.thanks.

has any one played the plug n play sega menacer gun or the outrun one?i have seen these at are local gamestop for about $5.00.i bought the space invaders plug n play there for the same price and its great.i was thinking about picking one of the other ones up at that cheap price but was hoping on get some feed back on them.any heads up on these whould be great.thanks.

Does it come with an actual Menacer Gun or is it jsut a crappy pistol? Don't know if it has hit the UK yet? Does it have the original Menacer titles that came with the Mega Drive? If that is the case I wouldn't buy one for the games were pretty lame ;)

The Menacer one is simply the original 6-in-1 Menacer games cart. It's some bright orange pistol-like monstrosity, as I recall.

Outrun 2019 is pretty fun if you're into that sort of game, but the "wheel" controller is a little bit more awkward than it needs to be.

Back when they first came out, I tried out both of these. I think they suck. In particular, the Outrun 2019 one is just a single, poor game with a pointless controller. Consider that all that the steering wheel does is replace the left and right buttons of a control pad; instead of being analog, it just provides internal contact points inside for left and right. Of course, the original game (I assume) worked only with a digital control pad, and as the Radica Genesis games are supposedly the original code, not ported, then this game will only work with digital steering. But then this leads to the question of why anyone would bother with the fake steering wheel in the first place. It just provides crappier control on a crappy game.

The Menacer one, compared to the Outrun one, was okay, but of course, that isn't saying much. The one I tried was badly miscalibrated, so that all the shots went to the right, and I couldn't hit anything in the left 1/4 or so of the screen, but it was at least better than falling off the Outrun tracks over and over again. Admittedly, though, it's only made up of 6 mini-games, none of which are really compelling.

For $5, the Menacer might be worth it. But, I'd stay away from Outrun at any price. I think both these products were poor decisions on Radica's part, especially with the original $35 price point (for ONE pathetic racing game!).

Speaking of Radica Genesis products, I found their newest effort at Target today, the Super Sonic Gold model (I was actually hoping to find Jakks' new Super Pac-Man unit, but no such luck anywhere). Oddly enough, it's labeled as "Volume 3" despite the fact that Radica released 3 other Genesis plug-and-play units (SFII, Outrun, Menacer) between Volume 2 and this one. Maybe only the ones with Sonic count? I don't have high hopes for it (it just has Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Spinball, and a "bonus" game, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, of which only Spinball has not been released on a previous Radica plug-and-play), but I thought I'd try it out. If they made one of these units with some Phantasy Star games, I might actually keep one.

I also took advantage of the EB Games/GameStop clearance. I picked up one Ms. Pac-Man with GameKey model for a friend, one Star Wars with GameKey model for a coworker (but he paid me back) as a gift for his son, and one pinball model as a backup for my existing pinball. I figure that the pinball model takes more punishment than the other plug-and-plays, due to the ingenious "whack the sides to nudge the tables" functionality, so having a backup seemed like a good idea. Incidentally, yes, this is a clearance sale. They're selling them all off and not getting anymore. GameStop.com's selection has already dropped down to just 6 offered, with the most recent disappearance being the wireless Ms. Pac-Man ones.

I agree that I've only been finding new plug-and-plays in physical stores rather than online: Jakks Justice League (both with and without GameKey slot), Jakks Winnie the Pooh, Jakks Scooby-Doo, Jakks power rangers, and now Radica's Super Sonic Gold, all only in brick-and-mortar stores.

onmode-ky

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

where do you find the plug n play games at anyway? are they at target and wal-mart? personally, i have never seen a Atari FB at the store, the only plug n plays ive seen were at kb toys, and gamespot and that's in the mall.

Are you looking in the toy sections of the discount/department stores? Most stores carry the majority of plug-and-plays in the toy section, often near board games. (The only exceptions of which I'm aware at Wal-Mart are that the new capsule/tablet/Disney Pelican releases are kept near iPod accessories for some reason, and the Polaroid plug and play is kept near the portable DVD player accessories.)

• 10 years later...