IGNORED

NES HELP Needed! Flashing screen!

I just bought a NES system and it doesn't seem to be working. When I turn it on the screen just flashes and the light on the fron to the console flashes also. The screen just flashes a blue color.... Is this a easy problem to fix or is the system dead? Any info would be great. Also, is there a good NES site out there that would be better equiped to help?

Thanks,

Sam the Collectomaniac

No, all you need to do is bend the connector pins back into place, they just get pushed out of joint over the years and, consequently, don't make proper contact with the metal strips on the cartridge. I did this to mine and it went from rubbish to 100% reliable in about 5 minutes.

Yeap...get a jeweler's small flat tip screwdriver and on the top of the connector you will see little square holes above each connector. If you push these in just a little you can reform the contracts towards the center of the connector and hence improve the contact between the connector pins and the cart contacts. However, caution must be used...as if you apply too much force..you can actually bend the pins too far and when you insert a cart...it will actually bend the pins totally to the back of the connector. If that happens...you pretty much have to get a new connector.

I actually go to a shop in town that buys the replacement connectors and take the ones they remove to keep mine going strong...hehe..

hi again,

Thanks for all the help. I cleaned the carts and that didn't help so I messed with the connector and now the carts won't go back in , 1 of the pins got pushed to hard I guess. Oh well, I ordered a new connector off of ebay, I'll see if this helps. Let you all know in a week or so...

Thanks again

Well, I got the new 72 pin connector in the mail today. I hooked it up and the system works GREAT! It cost as much as I payed for the system itself but I think it was worth it. I played Duck Hunt for over an hour! I sure do love that game. Thanks to all who replyed to my call for help!

the connector is basically where the cart slots into (on front loaders, you push the cart into the nes, and then into the connector/cart slot to make contact.

Basically look into the guts of the nes, and it will be the row of contacts down there.

I'm currently playing doctor with my NES as well.

The connector is a large black plastic rectangular box mounted on the circuit board (I am assuming you have a front loader). If you remove the casing, remove the steel shield, and remove the cart carriage, it will be the only thing sticking up (other than a small steel support post).

I'm still a bit confused about which little holes you guys are referring to, though. Are they on the face of the connector about the contacts, or are they on top of the connector toward the back?

Tinkering Stan

If you want to try and get rid of the flashing screen without buying a new 72-pin connector try getting a NES cleaning kit or

Disassemble it like you are going to replace the connect and then Get an old toothbrush, did it in rubbing alcohol, stick into the slots where the cartridge is inserted and carefully scrub. Just make sure that the unit is unplugged and try not to let too much run onto the main board and let it dry completely before plugging it back in. I just did this on another Nintendo I just bought and it works now.

I found a site with some good NES info, it is

NES Player

and as far as Savers goes, I have seen 3 Nintendos at our local Savers and all 3 did the same thing, nothing but a flashing screen. I haven't seen any of the new style NES anywhere. I plan on visiting a Funcoland to see what kind of stuff they have this weekend.

Not sure if this might cause damage to cartridges or the console, but this is what I do....

Say you have a blinking screen after you stick in a cartridge and press power.....

I just leave the cartridge in, and gently push it to the right or the left while it is still inside the console...

Press reset, and the game has a good chance of working.

I'm sure mine has connector problems too, and probably need cleaning too.

This has worked for me for so long, it kinda became a habit I guess

Hey everyone,

I tried fixing mine by the whole pin thing, I found the classic gaming article on doing this, very vague, I dont know about anyone else. I currently (had) have two NES systems, I first tried it on one. I think I bent it way to far. Then the second I just slightly bent it and now my NES works, "Better" but I still have to blow in the games. The thing I worry about it if I was even bending the right thing. Now I see these little mettalic loop things at the front top of the connecter. I got a screwdriver and they are kind of a U shape well more of a square U. I lifted the top end of U up and kind of puffed them up. I saw little square holes above the pins, Im not sure what else to do to get it to work.

I bought two more NES's yesterday (aswell as two Sega MD's) each for AU$4. I hope at least one of them works........otherwise I'll have to hack em all up and find out what's wrong.......

(BTW: I also bought a brand new Pal SNES mint in it's box if anyone is interested....otherwise I'll chuck it on ebay.)

heh. well, I bought my nes from dandenong. the reason: they have little 'parts' packages. Mine included: the nes, the switchbox, the power cords, two controllers, a zapper & 2 games. all for $5 (I bought it on one of their many 50% off days...)