IGNORED

The Atari Flashback 3 Petition

I had little interest in the FB series until this thread. If FB3 was ever released then I'd swim the Atlantic to get one.

No need to swim, if you google map a destination you can kayak, wind surf or take a jet ski over. And if google says ity can be done then it can.

I wan tan FB3, too.

While I would of course love for something like this to happen, I almost wonder in light of the rise of casual gaming on things like smartphones and tablets - not to mention digital distribution on everything else - if the time hasn't passed for dedicated TV game hardware like this. Seems to me a company like Atari would want to focus their energies on virtualizing their classic properties rather than investing in relatively risky physical inventory. Sad to say of course, but I think that's the reality...

No need to swim, if you google map a destination you can kayak, wind surf or take a jet ski over. And if google says ity can be done then it can.

Anything to avoid those pesky sharks! ;)

BTW, I would also like to see a FB3 (I probably said that earlier in the thread, but thanks to the age of this one, I don't remember).

While I would of course love for something like this to happen, I almost wonder in light of the rise of casual gaming on things like smartphones and tablets - not to mention digital distribution on everything else - if the time hasn't passed for dedicated TV game hardware like this. Seems to me a company like Atari would want to focus their energies on virtualizing their classic properties rather than investing in relatively risky physical inventory. Sad to say of course, but I think that's the reality...

Well-said. Manufacture and distribute hardware, when everyone's already carrying superior hardware in their pocket with digital distribution? I'd buy one, but it's been about 1/2-decade since this thread was started, and gaming options have changed considerably. Frankly, I'm surprised people think this will happen, from merely this thread. I'd buy one, for sure, but I don't think I carry much market significance, personally. Let alone, the fact that it hasn't happened in that 5 years should be a hint that it won't happen.

Edited by wood_jl

Totally true that much has changed in the years since this thread began. I honestly think the best hope this type of project has of happening is something like Kickstarter, where exact amounts of production can be tailored to those who are committed to purchasing, and/or a possible, forward-thinking 3D print-on-demand version that would be a little bit ahead of its time. We're not far away from being able to use something like Makerbot to create plastic case modules for semi-cusom electronics inside. But those are just my thoughts. I wonder what others (especially Curt and Marty) think of such ideas.

• Like 1

Totally true that much has changed in the years since this thread began. I honestly think the best hope this type of project has of happening is something like Kickstarter, where exact amounts of production can be tailored to those who are committed to purchasing, and/or a possible, forward-thinking 3D print-on-demand version that would be a little bit ahead of its time. We're not far away from being able to use something like Makerbot to create plastic case modules for semi-cusom electronics inside. But those are just my thoughts. I wonder what others (especially Curt and Marty) think of such ideas.

That is a GREAT thought! I'd also like to hear what Jeri and (dare I say it) Benheck have to say. Made to order consoles, right around the corner guys! +1lapetino!!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll wait until the legitimate news sources start talking about the FB3.

I know I'm super late to the thread, but too would buy an FB3, though only if it's still based on the Atari 8-Bit computer family. I heard someone mention a 7800 based FB3. I already have a 7800 so that version would be redundant if I were to own it.

Actually the Atari Flashback 3 is going to happen. I have inside word and copy on it. I can only release so much details but the FB3 is in the works. You can read a few more details here: Atari Flashback 3

You're simply describing our FB3 that we've had stalled for several years. There is no current deal with Atari to produce another Flashback unit.

That mockup is silly and looks nothing like the proposed one for the FB3.

Likewise the 2600 USB controller has been out for almost 2 years and is currently available through our site, thinkgeek.com, and special clear OEM ones for retrothing.com.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 1

Likewise the 2600 USB controller has been out for almost 2 years and is currently available through our site, thinkgeek.com, and special clear OEM ones for retrothing.com.

thinkgeek.com is out of stock, and I actually need to get one of those things now. I just bought "Archon:Classic" from Steam, and it has the gameplay of the original Archon(I loved that game on the Commodore 64), plus new gameplay that is enjoyable to the modern gamer as well as the Classic ones. It is compatable with USB controllers, and this would be perfect with which to play it. Of course, the AA store is offline right now. :sad:

Although, I may e-mail Albert about it just to get the details.

Iggy*SJB' timestamp='1300842442' post='2240836']

thinkgeek.com is out of stock, and I actually need to get one of those things now. I just bought "Archon:Classic" from Steam, and it has the gameplay of the original Archon(I loved that game on the Commodore 64), plus new gameplay that is enjoyable to the modern gamer as well as the Classic ones. It is compatable with USB controllers, and this would be perfect with which to play it. Of course, the AA store is offline right now. :sad:

Although, I may e-mail Albert about it just to get the details.

As stated, we sell them as well -

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/

• 3 weeks later...