IGNORED

The Atari Flashback 3 Petition

Put me and my 1000 shares of Atari on your list. I know the shares are pretty low, but was at $.95 for a day :) Starting to make a climb again. Need to get over that $1.00 mark for 7 days to stay listed on Nasdaq.

I would be happy to sell them again also. Will just handle it a bit differently than last time.

Also, wonder if it isn't good news as Curt hasn't posted in a few days about it.

Corey

Also, wonder if it isn't good news as Curt hasn't posted in a few days about it.

Corey

Hard to say. He said he'd update us if he was allowed to, and since he hasn't yet, I can only assume that Atari is proceeding with the FB3 and doesn't want their plans for it divulged just yet. If they decided to do nothing, there'd be no need to keep it a secret.

I'd buy at least two (as with so many other posters here, one for use as-is, one for hacking fun)-- and at least one copy each of any aftermarket software SDcards released. I'd probably buy more as gifts for non-gamers who have fond recollections of Atari... which covers pretty much everyone I know between the ages of 25-55.

The only Infogrames/Atari products I've purchased in the last couple of years have been the Flashbacks (one FB1, three FB2s-- probably will pick up at least one more FB2). For this consumer, at least, the FBs tap into a market and source of money that is otherwise uninterested in Infogrames... and I imagine I'm far from alone.

Even if the potential profit for Infogrames is low, it *is* a source of profit above and beyond their core console/computer publishing, and one they're in a unique position to exploit. How many other software companies have a ready nostalgia market, open especially to non-gamers, women, and baby-boomers? After hearing software companies bemoan for *years* that those markets are curiously impenetrable, it seems bizarre that a company best able to cater to them wouldn't jump at the chance.

If Atari releases this machine just because about 15 people on a message board said "I want two of them" then Bruno is even dumber than I thought. Atari is supposed to have staff who can determine which products will sell, the rantings of a few zealots shouldn't be an issue for them. It would be nice if they decided that the FB3 would be a consumer hit, but I'm not expecting it.

The stock is at 58 cents right now, by the way.

If you looked at their press release yesterday in regards to their financials, the Retro portion has seen an increase from like 5% to 9% from 2005 to 2006. Now it doesn't say actual sales, but I believe the FB2 would have outsold the FB1 with the good publicity it has received.

R&D costs have gone up which is a good thing also which I am guessing the FB2 was part of. If it was a dead issue, Curt would have mentioned something. But he might be under an NDA. Won't know until Curt speaks.

As for the stock, it is at $.58 because of them releasing their end of year report and also because the gaming industry currently is in a slump. I don't know if they will get it up to the $1 mark for the August deadline, but it doesn't mean I loose my stock. Nasdaq will remove until Atari has stronger performance. But I believe from what I read, they do have a better grasp on what will happen and invest accordingly.

Corey

I believe from what I read, they do have a better grasp on what will happen and invest accordingly.
What have you read that could possibly bring you to that conclusion?

Their losses increased by $1.5M this past quarter, the quarter in which they predicted big returns from Mark Ecko and D&DO (both were flops). If they hadn't sold off some of their IPs they would have had a $10.6M loss for the quarter.

As far as the retro numbers go, all it shows is that retro items (not just the FB, by the way) made up a higher percentage of releases than they did for the prior year. Note that the number for March 2006 is 2.5%

Quote of the Year from Bruno:

"The Atari brand has stood for innovation and pioneering spirit for more than 30 years. As Atari executes on its strategic objectives, we must recapture what made Atari an iconic brand. During fiscal 2007, we will focus our efforts on established franchises, new major motion picture licensed IP with significant marketing campaigns, online products and titles for portable devices."

So they're going to follow the strategy which already bombed. Wonderful.

"The Atari brand has stood for innovation and pioneering spirit for more than 30 years. As Atari executes on its strategic objectives, we must recapture what made Atari an iconic brand. During fiscal 2007, we will focus our efforts on established franchises, new major motion picture licensed IP with significant marketing campaigns, online products and titles for portable devices."

I dunno, sounds a lot like the same Atari we've all known and loved for 30+ years.

<announcer>

Atari: Have we screwed ourselves over today?

</announcer>

Infotari is in such a wonderful position to exploit the current retro craze. But if they don't get a move on it, they're going to cede 100% of the market to the Nintendo Wii. I'm hoping for the best.

That quote is both funny and sad at the same time. This guy obviously has no clue what made Atari an iconic brand in the first place. I hope whoever buys up the Atari name after it's crashed and burned again won't be as stupid with it.

Put your name here if you would like the FB3 to come out.

I have never replied or posted a message to any forum before, however when I saw this petition I had to join. I have bought both FB & FB2 and I will buy at least one if not two FB3's if/when it comes out.