IGNORED

RCA Studio II

The RCA Studio II is a funny thing. It's as rare as rare gets to find one, but nobody really cares about it if you do. On the Supply vs Demand curve, the Studio II has near zero Supply and near zero Demand, making its value far lower than what you'd expect for an item so rare. I see them go on eBay from time to time for $20-$60, depending on completeness and condition. However, for items which come up very infrequently, spectacular price fluctuations can be seen at any time.

As far as value to the video gamer goes, the RCA Studio II is the grand turkey of all time. Non-detachable keypad controllers force players to hunch over the console. Keypad controllers? What were they thinking! The console features its own internal sound system, a 29 cent cardboard speaker, blooping and bleeping in a rasping monophonic sound. The games for the Studio II were almost as complex and almost as fun as the games you used to play in grade school, the ones you scribbled on a lunch bag passed back and forth to the desk across the aisle when the teacher wasn't looking. RCA earned its place in the record books, giving us pixels the size of slices of bread. But they didn't bother to give us color. The bread was either raw or it was burnt toast... the console itself was both.

For all its shortcomings, I still like the RCA Studio II more than the X-Box. Black and white Bowling with a keypad controller and a breadslice ball is just too cool!

Ben

• Like 1

Make sure the unit has the RCA switch box. Like the old 5200, you plug the power supply into the switch box, so without that original switchbox it's useless.

I've been VERY slowly working on a multicart for the Studio II. Hopefully it will have all the games plus Paul Robson's homebrews (Space Invaders, Combat, and Hockey). I don't plan to sell them, but I will provide a detailed how-to. It will probably be a while before this comes together, though.

-Paul

THE GRAND TURKEY! Blasphemy!

: )

Really, as much as I LOVE this thing, it was a turkey. Even new, gobble city. BUT...if ya can get one, get it! Well, if it's CHEAP, anyway. These things are great...state of the art (in 1971)...exciting gameplay...awesome design...ok, I'll stop now.

It CAN be fun (in small doses.) I am really amazed at what Paul Robson did with the emulator and the games he wrote. I had NO IDEA it could do space invaders or pac man. Very cool. Shabby Chic for video games.

(Of course, the Channel F is the bigger turkey, but it did have controllers that you could move and it had that ultra chic woodgrain tape cabinet.)

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Non-detachable keypad controllers force players to hunch over the console. Keypad controllers? What were they thinking!

It's probably for the best... imagine how rare Studio II controllers would be now!

Was there ever a Studio I?

--Zero

Nope, no Studio I. But recently Ianoid uncovered some interesting documents from get this... the Studio II newsletter! Apperently Studio II owners actually built some kind of programming cart for it and the newsletters have all kind of programs you can type in. I don't think I saw the instructions on how to build the programming cart though, I'll have to check.

I guess the Studio II had a bigger following than I thought. The newsletter ran at least from 77 to 79.

Tempest

• Like 1

Tempest:

The Studio II was actually a nifty little computer. It was sold in a package called ELF as well. I don't recall too many details about that, but there articles in various mags (Radio-Electronics was one) about interfacing ascii keyboards, 'enhanced' graphics, etc. The 'language' that was used for the built in games is called Chip-8. Tom Pittman wrote (I THINK it was Mr. Pittman) a version of BASIC for the machine. There MANY hacks around for it. As a video game, it sucks.

• 11 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm thinking of adding an RCA Studio II to my collection, and I want to know what is a reasonable price to pay for a complete and tested unit (both boxed and without the box)? I'm looking at one now that doesn't have the box but is complete (has the switchbox and power supply) comes with the owners manual and 5 complete, boxed games. It's been tested and working and the seller offers a 2 week return. It's $100. Is that a good price?

Thanks!

Which games?

Without the console box, and assuming the games are "commons," I'd go more like $75-80. But I'm cheap. And I was lucky enough to get mine (also with five CIB games) for $50 a couple years ago. For me, the console box and/or CIB copies of Gunfighter/Moonship, Speedway/Tag, and Biorhythm need to be there before I'll start talking triple digits.

Of course, the Studio II is overvalued at ANY price... :P

Fun with Numbers

Blackjack

TV Schoolhouse

Tennis/Squash

Space War

All commons, right?

The console doesn't come with the box but it has the switchbox and power supply, and everything looks to be in good condition. The system doesn't have scratches and the numbers on the keypad aren't faded. The game boxes are very nice, no creasing or anything like that. And the seller said it works and will accept returns for up to 2 weeks.

I like your price range much better as I'm cheap as well. Can't envision paying $100 plus the $16 shipping. You got a good deal!

I agree...the Studio II is more of a $10 console. ;)

No. Sadly it got water soaked a long time ago with done other pong systems and my then small collection of game magazines (first year of Nintendo power, first few issues of EGM, GamePro, Sega Visions, Game Player, VG&CE-I was mad at that crappy shed).

The switch box ended up in my PC parts drawer. One of the fork terminals is off but last I used it the thing worked.

No. Sadly it got water soaked a long time ago with done other pong systems and my then small collection of game magazines (first year of Nintendo power, first few issues of EGM, GamePro, Sega Visions, Game Player, VG&CE-I was mad at that crappy shed).

The switch box ended up in my PC parts drawer. One of the fork terminals is off but last I used it the thing worked.

Sorry to hear of your collection that got water soaked! I had a lot of stuff I collected in my childhood in a shed that got wet and moldy so I know the feeling.

Sometimes Studio II's come up on eBay without the switchbox, you could add one of those to your collection if you wanted.

Sorry to hear of your collection that got water soaked! I had a lot of stuff I collected in my childhood in a shed that got wet and moldy so I know the feeling.

Sometimes Studio II's come up on eBay without the switchbox, you could add one of those to your collection if you wanted.

Thanks. It ticked me off then and I never replaced the stuff except after finding one of my magazines at my parents's place years later I got the bug and replaced most of my magazines.

The Studio II was interesting but with me getting out of collecting it's ok. If anyone needs a switch box though, I'd be happy to part with it.

• Like 1

Man, what a blast from the past. My parents bought me one brand new in 1979/1980 when Radio Shack was blowing them out. I did actually enjoy that bowling game.

No idea what ever happened to it, tossed out long ago I assume.

That's awesome. I love hearing from people who actually owned one of these less popular systems back in the day. People seem to have enjoyed the bowling game, I've played it, it's actually pretty fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it was entertaining. I never had any other cartridges for it though. I actually traded it for a yamaha branded bike frame back around 80/81 to a friend. My step-dad was pissed and made me trade it back though. LOL

I've been playing with the other carts, I've been having fun. That's funny that your dad made you trade the bike back! LOL

• 2 years later...

Hello,

@Tempest:

I have details on the "programming cart" you referred to, including:

Picture of the front and back of the cart PCB

Instructions on it's use

Schematic of the cart

Hex listing of the ROM

I can dig it up if it would be helpful.

ED

Hi ED.

Stumbled across this yesterday. I would be interested seeing more details of the programming cart, if you could make it available. I cannot find references to either it, or the newsletter elsewhere on the web.

Thanks

decle

Hello Guys,
Here is a link to the information I have for the "programming cart". It will convert a Studio II to an Elf computer.
It contains:
Picture of the front and back of the PCB
Instructions for using it
Schematic
Hex listing for the ROM
I hope you find it helpful.
ED

Thanks for posting this. I was interested in one of these too. So now I have yet another project to do :)

David