eBay - ""It isn't a legally binding contract"

2 replies to this topic

#1 AEX OFFLINE  

AEX

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2006 12:14 PM

Guys,

I'm not sure if this just pertains to eBay's Real Estate section, but you might want to read this:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/5043572.stm

eBay spokesperson says the auction wasn't a legally binding contract????

What does that mean, if all eBay auctions are stated to be "contracts"???

Karl

#2 Happy_Dude OFFLINE  

Happy_Dude

River Patroller

• 4,212 posts
  • Forum Slacker

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2006 12:20 PM

What does that mean ...

It means eBay is looking for a new spokesperson
(now where did I save my resume ......)

#3 holygrailvideogames.com OFFLINE  

holygrailvideogames.com

Quadrunner

• 5,751 posts

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2006 1:21 PM

eBay's rules for rel estate are different. See below

Non-binding Bid Policy

Certain eBay online auctions involve non-binding bids (for example, some real estate auctions). Non-binding bidding is not a contract between seller and buyer. However, non-binding bids represent a buyer’s serious expression of interest in buying the seller’s item. Furthermore, insincere bidding is not permitted.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

Non-binding real estate auctions are described in greater detail in Real Estate Rules.

Some Examples Hide

Mary is selling her house and has received many bids on the property. The listing closes with a high bidder and Mary is ready to close the sale. Unfortunately, the high bidder decides not to complete the transaction. Upset with this buyer, Mary tries to file for Final Value Fee credit through the Unpaid Item process. Mary, the seller, is in violation of the non-binding bid policy because bids on real estate are not contracts.

Example of a binding bid: Steve is bidding on a new rug for his living room and he wins the online auction. Later, he finds out that the rug is not big enough to cover his floor and he wishes to back out of the transaction, claiming the bid was non-binding. Steve, the buyer, is in violation of the Unpaid Item policy because the rug he was bidding on is not covered under the non-binding bid policy.

Why does eBay have this policy? Hide

In most cases, a bid on eBay is a legally binding contract between the buyer and the seller. Due to state laws and complexities in certain real estate transactions, bids on some categories of Real Estate on eBay are non-binding.

Personally I am tired of all of the crap on eBay from sellers who try to avoid selling and buyers who do not pay. I have been thinking of going after some of them through the court system.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users