IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

last couple of days i was playing diablo2 and i was thinking how the hell they managed to keep the game random but in a controlled way... so i searched the net and found Diablo hacking sites and found some tutorials, informations etc...

esp. the randomness was kind of interesting how the game managed to say f.e. the monsters do drop low level stuff more than high level or even epic stuff...

so i went through the mule source and found more and more clues how to handle that in a game... i never touched kind of predicted randomness but for computer games it seems important... so again more and more researches and now i came up with the code...

find attachted an ATR with turbo basic XL... you can load the prototype by entering 'LOAD "D:TEUFEL5.TUB"'

the protype simulates 5000 successfull killing of monsters and prints on screen what the monster drops.

it could be gold, potions, armor or weapons.

the gold and the weapon is picked up automaticly. but when armor is found you have the choice to pick it up. after picking up you have to put it on Head, Chest or Legs (H,C,L). there is no check if you put it correct so please do put helmets on your head etc...

on the top left corner stats are printed. your gold, armor (the complete armor value is printed on the same line like gold).

you can see how it goes down when you put on lower valued armor.

in the zip archive you find an excel sheet with all the rules and the possibilities, basicly the rules are

60% nothing will be dropped

20% gold is dropped

20% an item is dropped

the item is then choosen by the rule

50% are potions

20% armor

30% weapon

50% heal, 50% mana etc...

unfortunatly the excel sheet is still in german but you find the "Rate"s on your own.

no monsters included yet... but this will be next...

why i am doing that? maybe you ever thought how Diablo, World of Warcraft, Sacred, etc... are doing that... and you are going to write your own stuff... ;) esp.i am going deeper into that... maybe i should have a look on the pen&paper roleplaying games for more inspiration...

teufel.zip

pseudigrafx, thanks... ;) a pseudo 3d diablo with iso-style might be too complicated for 1st time...but kind of 2d look (top view) should be possible... what kind of gfx mode? antic 4 with 5 colours?

i just finished the monster table so right now i have 42 items and 32 monsters.

huj... diablo seems more complicated than expected...

if you are interested...

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/jarulf/jarulf162.pdf

it seems we have to minimise the rules... ;)

Heaven, this stuff is very interesting and useful... I am still working on a Diablo-esque game (I have one other game I want to finish first), but many of the rules I haven't written yet. They may not need to be minimised that much in this case since the rules will be running on the game server (PC)...

I had a thread on here asking for scrolling help, this was the result (from your help actually)...

AVI Video of the scroll engine:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...e=post&id=45924

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...80521&hl=scroll

yeah. remember your "online" diablo game... but i rediscovered Diablo by having a rest from WOW and from the minigamecompo... but i got hooked into trying stuff on my own... ;)

my intention is a better Gauntlet powered by Diablo... ;) more action...with some influence by the blizzard masterpiece...

at the moment i am after the map/dungeon generator which could be useful... with your server based approach you can do buitiful things... :)

keep it coming...

yeah. remember your "online" diablo game... but i rediscovered Diablo by having a rest from WOW and from the minigamecompo... but i got hooked into trying stuff on my own... ;)

my intention is a better Gauntlet powered by Diablo... ;) more action...with some influence by the blizzard masterpiece...

at the moment i am after the map/dungeon generator which could be useful... with your server based approach you can do buitiful things... :)

keep it coming...

I understand completely. I welcome your experiments with a RPG and map/dungeon generator. I think what you discover will be useful for my work as well. The pseudo-random information for items dropped is good to know... ;) A better Gauntlet would be cool especially bringing elements of Diablo and WOW...

So, I look forward to what you can do and what info you have. Thanks!

if you can point me to a understandable simple dungeon map generator i would be very pleased...

at the moment its likely that i am modifing the Whack VIC20 code... Aleksi seem good in random level generators... :) http://starbase.globalpc.net/~wyndex/mini0...ex.results.html

unfortunatly the Seven Cities of Gold generator is not available... ;)

There was a game with a 40x24 maze generator (1 entry, 1 exit, 1 route) in a Compute! magazine.

No idea which one, probably somewhere around 1983-85.

All I can remember is that it was slow, so one of my mates re-wrote the generator in Asm.

Hm.... A project like "Diablo" means a project with some "modern" arts. In GFX and sound.

Particular the graphics cannot be done like a "Realm of Impossibility".

Actually.... a 1st person 3D is easier to handle with the A8 hardware than an isometric 3D. A "2D" Diablo does not make sense at all.

I would appreciate a screen assignment....

x = Map

y = 3D Zoom/Action Window

z = Info screen with inventory and game informations

xxxxxxxxyyyyyyyy

xxxxxxxxyyyyyyyy

xxxxxxxxyyyyyyyy

xxxxxxxxyyyyyyyy

xxxxxxxxyyyyyyyy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It could be in charmode and fullscreen usage.

pseudigrafx, thanks... ;) a pseudo 3d diablo with iso-style might be too complicated for 1st time...but kind of 2d look (top view) should be possible... what kind of gfx mode? antic 4 with 5 colours?

i just finished the monster table so right now i have 42 items and 32 monsters.

Yeah, iso-3d would be quite demanding, but I guess Gauntlet-like style would be just as playable - of course spiced up with some PMG and richer graphics :-) I think Antic 4/5c is just right.

Btw. I'm quite good at drawing static graphics, so that's what I can certainly help you with. If you need someone for sprite animations, better look for someone else ;-)

Edited by pseudografx

ok... ok... some design decisions have to be made (not talking about gfx yet...)

1. Action

i would go for a gauntlet like game play with tons of dungeons. but with less monsters per time so more diablo like. speed comparable to c64 gauntlet which is quite good.

so micture of gauntlet, diablo and robotron 2084... think of "panic" and try to loot... ;)

i like the timer in gauntlet... gives a more arcadish style. good?

2. how many roleplaying elements

well... diablo has too many imho (says somebody who think that diablo is no roleplaying game... ;))

so 4 character classes (warrior, elf, valkyre and wizard) with some additional stats (expanded from gauntlet) which can be improved by the player (leveling) and with items

so... no scoring but experience points (--> gauntlet with exp)

skill-tree... a simple one... based on the stats to improve.

3. inventory

same like diablo/sacred/dungeon siege/resident evil... a visible representation of your pockets... with inventory takes special space.

but... (ok...we are not talking about gfx here...)

4. gfx

due to limited gfx tile sets how should we represent all different items? or do we just display basic class like potion, armor, weapon and differentiate with text?

so... many things to decide even at the beginning...

Will we use 2x2 tiles? Perhaps 3x3 would allow for some more detailed graphics (but on the other hand it would be more CPU demanding). Maybe we could also have 2x3 tiles for characters and enemies so that they would be a bit higher and look more human-like :-). Also have a look at Phantom, which also uses bigger sprites (the main char is shown directly from above) while the tiles are still 2x2. Another source for inspiration would be the Alien Breed series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Breed

How will the sprite movement work? By whole characters? I would prefer smooth movement or at least movement by half a char (with pre-rendered phases to save some time). I think items on the ground do not have to be too differentiated, just one sword for sword class, one armor for armor class etc. Diablo 1 did not have every single item rendered, too.

I like the RPG aspect of Diablo series, but that is a matter of personal taste.