IGNORED

What's this Battlesphere Trio?

Teddy Ruffles

Hello!

Never heard of a combined cart with both versions of the game.

Me neither.

I wonder why Scatologic put JUGS on a CD with the original release instead of including it on the cart like in this speciality item.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the JUGS:

It consists of a receiver-part contained in Battlesphere and BSGold on the Jaguar side,

and a transceiver-part provided as a DOS-tool. This DOS-tool and some additional stuff

(like docs, a file-converter and several Jaguar sample programs) was what they put on

CD. The CD and the necessary serial port-adapter was available as the "JUGS-package"

and later part of the BSGold-package. As far as i have understood the auction-description

it is also part of the "BS Trio"-package.

Best regards

Matthias

Hello,

sorry i have to add something ....

I wonder why Scatologic put JUGS on a CD with the original release instead of including it on the cart like in this speciality item.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the JUGS:

It consists of a receiver-part contained in Battlesphere and BSGold on the Jaguar side,

and a transceiver-part provided as a DOS-tool. This DOS-tool and some additional stuff

(like docs, a file-converter and several Jaguar sample programs) was what they put on

CD. The CD and the necessary serial port-adapter was available as the "JUGS-package"

and later part of the BSGold-package. As far as i have understood the auction-description

it is also part of the "BS Trio"-package.

OK, although the above description of the JUGS is still correct, i think you were referring to this:

JUGS-DD TM is the first ever Homebrew CD bootloading utility for the Jaguar. A must-have feature for any homebrew developer!

This (JUGS-DD)is the CD-Bypass which came with BSGold (included on the Jaguar-Cartridge), it allows you to run unencrypted CDs.

To show this feature a Demo-CD was included in the BSGold package, and i think this demo-CD was also available seperately.

Bye!

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

This is the only expensive video game I know of where the programmer himself finds new ways to jack the price up. It's really kinda sleazy....like pawn shop sleazy. At least with Neo Geo games that get expensive, you don't feel like there's anything nefarious about the price, I mean SNK sets the retail price and then the second hand market, with time, you will see the price adjust based on the resale of the game, plus alot of the time you either know exactly, or have a good idea of the amount of carts that were produced. With Battlesphere it seems the programmer sets the retail price and the collectible price himself.

"BattleSphere TrioTM Is all of the above programs rolled together in the highest capacity Jaguar cartridge ever published! The ScatoLOGIC team took a brief a break from retirement"
Oh bullshit. From what I can tell on ebay there's never been a real production halt, I can't count how many times I've seen one of these, when it's supposed to have been sold out years ago.

"This Limited to One Copy Version of BattleSphere TrioTM is definitely the most rare version of all ever produced, even more rare than the elusive autographed copies! This cartridge was made with the serious collector in mind".

It's so rare it'll make your face explode! It's the only one ever produced(this month) I promise!!!!

Edited by Gunstarhero
  • Like 1

It'd be nice if there were a bit more BSG carts "lovingly crafted"

Of course that would ruin the price I suppose when another one pops out of nowhere for sale. :ponder:

I refuse to get a BSG cart and buy into this.

Edited by remowilliams
  • Like 1

This is the only expensive video game I know of where the programmer himself finds new ways to jack the price up. .....

Damn, last time I checked this auction goes to charity. A great charity at that. I lost my mom in March and it was largely due to her ongoing battle with diabetes and what it had done to her over the years. I've noticed two auctions in a row all directly going to charity. Way to belittle something that is helping a great cause.

With Battlesphere it seems the programmer sets the retail price and the collectible price himself.

Well I always thought the creators set the retail price. And as for the auction, I didn't think anybody was forcing anybody to bid.

It's so rare it'll make your face explode! It's the only one ever produced(this month) I promise!!!!

Wanna place a bet?

Edited by belboz

No comments on the politics of this cartridge;

I think it's a neat touch, that an LED lights up,

depending on which game you're playing. But

I think the overall aesthetics of this cartridge's

label are not especially flattering, design-wise.

This is the only expensive video game I know of where the programmer himself finds new ways to jack the price up. It's really kinda sleazy....like pawn shop sleazy. At least with Neo Geo games that get expensive, you don't feel like there's anything nefarious about the price, I mean SNK sets the retail price and then the second hand market, with time, you will see the price adjust based on the resale of the game, plus alot of the time you either know exactly, or have a good idea of the amount of carts that were produced. With Battlesphere it seems the programmer sets the retail price and the collectible price himself.

"BattleSphere TrioTM Is all of the above programs rolled together in the highest capacity Jaguar cartridge ever published! The ScatoLOGIC team took a brief a break from retirement"
Oh bullshit. From what I can tell on ebay there's never been a real production halt, I can't count how many times I've seen one of these, when it's supposed to have been sold out years ago.

"This Limited to One Copy Version of BattleSphere TrioTM is definitely the most rare version of all ever produced, even more rare than the elusive autographed copies! This cartridge was made with the serious collector in mind".

These have to be the most uninformed and stupid quotes I've seen yet. Maybe someday you'll get this disease and understand why T-Bird does what he does. For you to down someone thats giving the money to a charity is downright rude, misinformed and just plain ignorant.

Maybe someday you'll get this disease and understand why T-Bird does what he does. For you to down someone thats giving the money to a charity is downright rude, misinformed and just plain ignorant.

T-bird (Douglas Engel) doesn't distribute these, Scott Le Grand has always done it (he is captainawesome, BattleSphereBob, etc.)

:ponder:

Maybe someday you'll get this disease and understand why T-Bird does what he does. For you to down someone thats giving the money to a charity is downright rude, misinformed and just plain ignorant.

T-bird (Douglas Engel) doesn't distribute these, Scott Le Grand has always done it (he is captainawesome, BattleSphereBob, etc.)

:ponder:

I´m pretty sure you´re wrong, but irregardless, the whole Diabetes charity thing originates from T-Bird.

I believe all three members of Scatologic are pretty staunch supporters of the cause. Stephanie suffers from a lot of the nasty sideeffects of diabetes, Scott was married to her, and Doug is a very good friend.

My comments have nothing to do with the charitable aspect. Anyone who can read with any comprehension without letting your emotions take control can understand my comments are directed at the whole idea of Battlesphere being hyped as RARE by the creators(thus trying to affect the collectibility which increases the price) and the continued selling of brand new product which was supposedly sold out years ago.

Now go back and hide behind your little firewall over there at the secret forums you guys coagulate in.

These have to be the most uninformed and stupid quotes I've seen yet. Maybe someday you'll get this disease and understand why T-Bird does what he does. For you to down someone thats giving the money to a charity is downright rude, misinformed and just plain ignorant.

Nice, wishing a debilitating disease on someone, you're such a nice guy! At any rate, does giving to charity make anybody immune to criticism? What most of you are suggesting is just that, and it's really fucking stupid. The whole message spewed from Scatologic that Battlesphere itself is the rarest and most collectible game in history, is used to increase the value irrationally and its a scam. Sure, the proceeds may go to charity, but does that mean then that Scam = Good? In your eyes I guess so.

Edited by Gunstarhero

My comments have nothing to do with the charitable aspect. Anyone who can read with any comprehension without letting your emotions take control can understand my comments are directed at the whole idea of Battlesphere being hyped as RARE by the creators(thus trying to affect the collectibility which increases the price) and the continued selling of brand new product which was supposedly sold out years ago.

Now go back and hide behind your little firewall over there at the secret forums you guys coagulate in.

While I have nothing to do with the whole thing I would still like to say two things.

1) This BS trio cart is rare (only 1) because it is supposed to be a collectible and to raise a high amount of money for that diabetes donation. It was planned to go for a high price to a good cause.

2)The Battlespheres that pop up on ebay are supposed to be from T-Birds personal collection. I haven't counted them but let's say he kept 16 copies for himself after stopping production because he wants to have a full network collection. It is his property.Now he may have some financial trouble or whatever and starts selling pieces of his collection. What's wrong with that? I know a lot of people who do exactly that. You really don't think that he has a warehouse full of carts or produces one everytime he feels like selling one.

Anyway maybe I am just relaxed because I have a copy of that game but I feel it's kinda strange that people still complain so badly about it. There was a time where everybody could put his name on a list, and then again and again....I don't know how many batches were made but there were some. So after halting production and still not meeting demand the price goes up. Too bad....but to blame the producer for it who only got flamed the whole time for not finishing the game, not meeting demand, raise the price etc is quite stupid imho.

Edited by Peterghiea

wow, thats really cool. imho whoever got that cart got a real bargain AND helped a great charity. Now my battlesphere cart collection is incomplete :-) but I'll be ok.

I will never buy Quadrun, and I will never spend $1000 for any game cart, but I would like to see what that new intro and music was like. :)

A multicart! Nice idea. I think that is kinda cool. Seems like Scatologic said "Wonder if we can make a multicart for the Jag" in their tinkering, did it, said like so many tinkerers "What do you know, it can be done." They sat around and said "Now what?"

So they give it a better label and sell it for charity.

To me, this is not unlike many artists who make something, sell it, and make something better.

My Battlesphere collection is also incomplete now, but then, it was since day one, since there is another one of a kind cartridge out there... the $1500 original battlesphere cart with the buyer's initials in the code of the cartridge.

As far as I'm concerned, I look forward to whatever else Scatologic can make to break boundaries on the Jag. :D Later!

At any rate, does giving to charity make anybody immune to criticism?

In the case of Battlesphere Trio, yes. He constructed a one of a kind Battlesphere cart to auction on eBay with all proceeds to go to charity. Your comments about him using this auction to jack the price of the original Battlesphere and Battlesphere Gold up, and to insinuate that more would be made when the auction states that it is a one of a kind item, is offensive given that all proceeds for Battlesphere Trio go to a charitable cause.

Edited by MetaFox

I have to agree... And I'm quite sure that the charity would agree as well. He could've just kept the money for himself but he didn't. He may have his ways, but his actions speak louder then words. Critisms come and go, but the measure of a person is defined by his or her deeds and not always a persons personalty. Just the fact that the auction ended the way it did implied to me that the game obviously had value to it if someone was willing to pay that kind of price for it. If anything it should excite people enough to want to make new and better games for the Jag... Doesn't the Atari community deserve it?

What on earth is that supposed to mean? Do people automatically switch to idiot-mode whenever the talk comes to anything even remotely connected to Battlesphere or its creators?

Isn´t it possible anymore to have a Battlesphere discussion without pointing fingers and calling each other names.

The Trio cart *IS* a one-of-a-kind. That´s not something you can debate. It just is. For want of a better word it´s a compilation, and one that most Jaguar fans would love to have. Whether or not it´s new or something Scott and Doug designed a couple of years ago isn´t really relevant, is it?

It´s never been on the market and it never will be, so nobody´s getting shafted here.

Charity doesn´t make anybody immune to criticism. I agree on that. Some people or corporations might even be accused of using charity acts to benefit noone but themselves in the end.

If you *DO* criticize an act of charity though, you´d better have some pretty solid arguments backing you up, otherwise you´re just going to look plain silly.

Critisms come and go, but the measure of a person is defined by his or her deeds
Well, their "deed" of running a smear campaign when I introduced the JagLink II by trying to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt about it certainly showed me how they "measure up as people". And it still continues to this day -- notice the part about "use of RS232 hubs is not recommended" in the description? I'll give you one guess who that statement is targeted at. Yea, they're certainly some first class people all right.....

And to think I bought two copies Battlesphere and two copies of Stephanie's Battlesphere CD from them to show my support. Had I known then what I know now.....

If you *DO* criticize an act of charity though, you´d better have some pretty solid arguments backing you up, otherwise you´re just going to look plain silly.

Everyone's entitled to form their own opinions. I certainly know what mine is.....

Edited by else

Hi,

Never heard of a combined cart with both versions of the game. I wonder why Scatologic put JUGS on a CD with the original release instead of including it on the cart like in this speciality item
Well I missed the drama of this item appearing and going on sale, being away at the time, but it's indeed amazing to see somebody stump up such a lot of cash for a game, charity or not charity. I guess he (the buyer) is thinking of the unique resale value being an investment too. Glad to see a big lump of cash guaranteed going to charity though, and seems TB has been doing some other stuff for the same cause. Most of us can't make much of a difference with what we do for charity, so it's good to see a Jaguar "celeb" using his product this way.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hi,
Never heard of a combined cart with both versions of the game. I wonder why Scatologic put JUGS on a CD with the original release instead of including it on the cart like in this speciality item
Well I missed the drama of this item appearing and going on sale, being away at the time, but it's indeed amazing to see somebody stump up such a lot of cash for a game, charity or not charity. I guess he (the buyer) is thinking of the unique resale value being an investment too. Glad to see a big lump of cash guaranteed going to charity though, and seems TB has been doing some other stuff for the same cause. Most of us can't make much of a difference with what we do for charity, so it's good to see a Jaguar "celeb" using his product this way.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I agree, it's a pretty cool cartridge (and I'm sure its new owner will rather enjoy it), and very cool that the proceeds are going to charity (and a pretty worthy one at that, given how many people Diabetes affects). Nobody twisted anyone's arm to shell out $1200 for the cart--people pay more than that for 2600 prototypes all the time, and those funds don't find their way to charity. Hopefully the new owner will take the cart out of its box and spend some time enjoying the games. :)

..Al