IGNORED

Best third party game company?!? (Atari)

Dusk2600

well many, many companies can struggle out this title.

activision

imagic

parkerbros

tigervision

wizard video

konami

sega

20th century fox (worm war 1) wooo wooo

Telesystem

spectra vision

xenox

any others

id have to say activision

i love imagic n all but the activision library is so big i can not pick any others

some greats of my own thought (no order)

worm whomper (Intv)

Sea Quest

plaque attack

fishing derby

oink

kaboom

crackpots

pitfall

spider fighter

pressure cooker

frostbite

aw what the hell, i love em all......

quote of trhe day... (its locked, lets go play space invaders)-easy money

Edited by Dusk2600

can't thank Centuri enough for allowing a Phoenix port.

What does Phoenix have to do with third-party games? And shouldn't it be "can't thank Centuri enough for accepting a big check?" Not exactly an act of goodwill on their part.

It should have been a third-party game, but Atari stole the license out from underneath Coleco after ads had already been run in the magazines (Atari would later be screwed twice as much by Nintendo on the Tetris deal). Therefore we were denied the joy of a Colecovision Phoenix as well as the amusing horror of an Intellivision Phoenix.

Same goes for Vanguard. And Coleco might have actually made the excellent Challenger instead of just licensing it like Atari did.

Edited by NovaXpress

I like Absolute, mostly for Pete Rose Baseball (I think the best baseball game on the Atari 2600).........:)

Also, the usual three are great......Activision, Parker Bros and Imagic....

Midway Sega games, especially Tapper, are also great. :)

However, overall, I love the Starpath games, especially Frogger, it's pretty much like the arcade version.

No love for Froggo?

I would have to say Froggo totally sucks balls :)

My favorite is Answer Software, it's too bad we never got to see what these guys could really do. Malagai and Gauntlet are awesome games that I totally have in my weekly rotation of games I play. I still have to get a repro of Confrontation one of these days, I bet that game kicks ass also.

No love for Epyx? They only made a handful of 2600 games (unless you count the Starpath games as Epyx, though Starpath wasn't part of Epyx when they made 2600 games), but the games they made are all excellent. Starpath also made some excellent games for the 2600.

My favorite third parties for the 2600 are Epyx, Starpath, Activision, Imagic, Parker Bros, and M Network.

Edited by BrianC

While Activision has more games - and even has a few more good games - than Imagic, it also has way more crap in its stable than Imagic.

Therefore I'd go with Imagic.

Andd, yes, I know many of you are saying "What crap? They were all good." No. No, they weren't. The sheer awfulness of fishing derby alone negates most of their catalog all by itself as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

While Activision has more games - and even has a few more good games - than Imagic, it also has way more crap in its stable than Imagic.

Therefore I'd go with Imagic.

Andd, yes, I know many of you are saying "What crap? They were all good." No. No, they weren't. The sheer awfulness of fishing derby alone negates most of their catalog all by itself as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, but it was well-made crap...

Of course, this question is purely subjective, but the criteria that I would use is: number of good games, percentage of good games, number of innovations, and overall impact. Imagic had some good games (Demon Attack, Atlantis) but they were not all that innovative -- certainly their box design left much to be desired. Activision gave us Kaboom!, Pitfall series, River Raid series, Chopper Command, H.E.R.O., and Starmaster (off the top of my head) that were all fresh and innovative. The graphics were incredible for their time (the famous sunset), Dolphin was the first game to incorporate sound as a major gameplay component, the inventiveness with many of their games easily outstripped the competition at the time, and I believe they were also one of the few third-party to use the paddle controls. Even the "crap" games, you could tell that the programmers really cared about what they were doing instead of "getting product to market" as with the Big A.

Not only that, but I think Activision laid the groundwork for third-party software makers to come. And, of course, they were the first company to treat their programmers like rock stars, the gods and idols that they were.

~G

• Like 1