IGNORED

Phantom II / Pirate

s0c7

What did you go and delete all the old stuff for? :?

Time constraints. Copyright issues. Etc. Some of it may reappear one day.

You might consider documenting the refueling tanker. Otherwise players might confuse it with the motherjet boss. BTW, what is the UFO for? I also shot that because I wasn't sure what it was. Is that what unlocks color mode?

I just added the quick and dirty docs I did for the VGXPO into the post with the binary. The docs are going to have to go through a major rewrite though. Yes, the UFO unlocks color mode. BTW - keep in mind you are safe from collision at the lowest level of the screen.

Pirates is just as fun as ever. :)

Thanks!

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

The difficulty switch doesn't immediately switch it back to Phantom II, you have to hit Select for Phantom to appear. Why not just use Select to switch between the two?

Arrrggghhhh! :x I know why. I'll either fix that next time out or switch it over to the Select switch. Thanks for mentioning it.

• Like 1

I have a comment regarding the lack of a menu to select between the two games. If time and space constraints allow, I think even a simple menu is better than using a difficulty switch to select which game to play. The main problem (besides it being completely non-obvious and thus poor UI design) is that you never know what state someone's difficulty switches will be set to when they plug the cartridge in. Some people will see Phantom II come up, and others will see Pirate. This will definitely confuse people, and most people will not read the manual beforehand. I will invariably get asked frequently, "Why does the game come up in [ Phantom II | Pirate ] when I power the system on?"

I see this now with games that support NTSC and PAL via a difficulty switch selection. Many times someone will plug one of these carts into a system and it pops up in PAL mode. I then get emailed asking why the game doesn't work. :)

If possible, I think it would be nice to have a simple selection menu. Doesn't have to be fancy by any means. Could be as simple as, "Push up to play Phantom II, push Down to play Pirate". Of course, it can be made more sophisticated if you'd like (and I certainly would not object!)

..Al

I see this now with games that support NTSC and PAL via a difficulty switch selection. Many times someone will plug one of these carts into a system and it pops up in PAL mode. I then get emailed asking why the game doesn't work. :)

Yeah - you almost got an e-mail from me about Alfred Challenge the other day. ;)

For that reason I've decided that separate PAL/NTSC carts are best. :)

One comment on the documentation. I realize that the whole "'Up' Chuck LeDuc" is a play on the Monkey Island series, but it just doesn't quite jive with the rest of the documentation. (Which is quite serious in its tone.) TSomething more traditional like, "Merciless Jack" would probably improve the flow of the documentation. I don't know if that's your final copy or not, but I decided I had better mention. :)

I realize that the whole "'Up' Chuck LeDuc" is a play on the Monkey Island series, but it just doesn't quite jive with the rest of the documentation.

Actually it was more my attempt to come up with a 2nd string Looney Tunes villain type name (something like Black Jacques Shellac). I'll think about it. I could switch it to plain old Charles LeDuc or whatever. I was really trying to avoid the whole "(color of your choice)beard" type name.

However, it does sort of fit the artwork that will accompany Pirate in the manual ;) .

Anybody else feel strongly one way or the other?

• Like 1

About your games, I think they're really great, especially pirate, you have me addicted on that one. This may be a bit late to ask as it seems, but do you think it's possible you could add a few more animations (i.e. trees blowing in the wind, dirt being dug, etc.) to pirate? I think that could really add to the depth of the game.

Great game, though.

Did I just kill this thread? :? :-o :?

Sorry about that. I haven't been around much lately. As Albert said, I'm pretty busy with it at the moment.

And BTW - thanks for the kind words regarding Pirate!

To those who care, I've seen early sketches of the artwork. Amazing stuff!!!!! :D

• Like 1

is your avatar the packshot of the game? if yes then its awesome! Can't wait to see it completed! Really good work :)

Yes, it is the label. Both the label and manual are beautiful works of art. Dave Dries & Nathan Strum did a really great job on them. :D

Hope I get a copy soon to write a review about it :)

I think it should be coming out in the store in the not too distant future. Be sure to read the manual........ thoroughly ;) .

• Like 1

When you shoot the missile, the missile doesn't go straight, instead it follows the x path of the ship. Is this intentional?

Yes. I'd tell you to RTFM, but it looks like s0c7 has deleted it. :P

You can change this with one of the switches, but I don't remember which one. Try each difficulity switch until you find one that allows the bullet to fire independent of the plane. If that doesn't work, try the B&W switch.

Edited by jbanes