IGNORED

commodore!

super_dos_man

I saw a c-64 flashback at kay bee toys today for 10 bucks!
"C64 flashback"? I assume you're referring to the C64 DTV 15-in-1 stick from Mammoth Games. $10 is a little cheaper than what I paid for mine a few months ago (around $15), but the price hasn't come down as much as some NOAC-based offerings I've seen that were actually released later.

I understand that there was a tooling problem with the first run of DTV units that they made, but I'm sure this has been corrected in subsequent batches. I've never had a problem with mine; the joystick actually reminds me of the old TAC-2 stick. However, I also haven't played mine a whole lot (I'm not a C64 guy and the Atari 800 versions of the games in the DTV sound better to me despite all the ranting and raving about how much better the SID sounds), so maybe those who get more use out of their units are seeing problems I've avoided.

At least the C64 DTV has the distinction of being "real" C64 hardware, much as the FB2 is a 2600, at least mostly.

The C64 went through 3 iterations of the chip, the latest version in the Hummer Steering wheel - an unauthorized product that Mammoth was selling and never got approval from DC Studio's for use of the chip, actually has the most accurate C64 chip in it and also has input for analog paddle input, the background issues and color pallete issues were all corrected.

Curt

The C64 went through 3 iterations of the chip, the latest version in the Hummer Steering wheel - an unauthorized product that Mammoth was selling and never got approval from DC Studio's for use of the chip, actually has the most accurate C64 chip in it and also has input for analog paddle input, the background issues and color pallete issues were all corrected.

Curt

I picked up two of those on closeout at Radio Shack the other week. On a related note, also picked up all the console/tv switch boxes (for older non autoswitching systems) since they're closing out of those as well.

Curt

I picked up two of those on closeout at Radio Shack the other week. On a related note, also picked up all the console/tv switch boxes (for older non autoswitching systems) since they're closing out of those as well.

I'm going to have to hit my local Radio Shack now, and see if I can find one of those Hummer Steering Wheels. I don't need any console/TV switchboxes, since I not only picked up a whole pile of them at a 99¢ store last year, I also picked up some of the direct-connectors from Albert at last year's Dallas VGXPO.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Hummer unit a couple of weeks back from Radio Shack for $17.00.

I performed the audio fix on and brought out the keyboard.

The Hummer DTV ha flash ram that you can use with a modified kernal routine that some built.

It's a very cool unit.

I have two DTV units and moded one of them with the keyboard, joystick, s-video and IEC hacks.

The whole thing fits in a small Radio Shack plastic hobby box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...