IGNORED

1970s Mattel Classic Football LED Handheld Game

bomberpunk

well, i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i wanted to share with the rest of the gaming world a dedicated Qbasic clone of this fantastic little vintage game. i just programmed it last friday.

if you need a copy of Qbasic, you can find that on this page (labeled as Qbasic 1.0).

cheers,

bp

i should've just uploaded the file in the first place. maybe then you'll actually play it and respond!

SKIP THIS! UPDATED FILE IN A POST BELOW!!

you still need qbasic 1.0 to run it.

open MATTELFB.BAS in Qbasic and press SHIFT+F5 to run.

MATTELFB.BAS

Edited by bomberpunk

i should've just uploaded the file in the first place. maybe then you'll actually play it and respond!

you still need qbasic 1.0 to run it.

open MATTELFB.BAS in Qbasic and press SHIFT+F5 to run.

I don't know where I got it, but the version of Qbasic I have can make .exe files from your programs. I made one so you don't need Qbasic to run this.

I wonder if it would work in Batari Basic, as a competitor to "Trash Can Football".

I think you could capture the gameplay at the very least.

mattelfb.zip

WoW I've played that game back in the 70's god I'm old. Cool game I don't know much about qbasic but does qbasic have sound that would be grate.

Qbasic has two noise-producing commands; SOUND and PLAY. the football game implements both, but rather than come out of the speakers, the sounds generate internally from the pc tower.

i wish i had spent the last 10 years learning how to program atari stuff instead of the big ugly Q. you guys are lucky, man.

oh and that EXE is pretty sweet. the version you have is either Quickbasic 4.5 or 7.1

i never bother making EXEs because i like coding in 1.1 (the original) for simplicity. i'm dense!

du-duh!

Cool, yes I think you could do a version of LED football in bBasic no problem. I had considered that approach but since I had already started to code it in assembly, I decided to finish it that way.

Here's a link to the screenshot

I'll probably post up a version of the binary sometime soon.

edit: BTW - I used the bBasic kernel for the display and got most of the game logic working with that until vdub_bobby replaced the display kernel with something that looks a lot more like the Mattel footbal system.

Edited by djmips

here is version 0.2

new features:

- option to toggle sound effects on/off.

- help screen

- gamespeed menu

- when failing a field goal attempt, the ball was placed at the 35 instead of 20 yardline. this is now fixed.

v0.1 is good as source code, but crappy for a compiled exe, as the user loses access to altering the gamespeed variable.

enjoy!

[version 0.3 coming soon]

- team colors!

- saved gamespeed!

- cooks & cleans!

i also coded ports of Katamari Damacy and Aaron Curtis' 2600 Fall Down, as well as making ripoff versions of Chu Chu Rocket and Wacko (old arcade game). if anyone is interested in that, i can hook a brotha up.

MattelFB.bas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just stumbled onto this post...WOW does this bring back memories. Thanks for the link to Peter's page and LEDHead!!! I thinkI still have my Battlestar Galactica Space Alert at my parents house somewhere, have to pull it out the next time I'm over there. I do remember playing the heck out that damn game! Yeah, while everyone else was buying Football & Baseball I was the only geek with the Space Alert!!!

Great job Bomberpunk, Very cool! :cool:

- Sal

• 1 month later...

Cool, yes I think you could do a version of LED football in bBasic no problem. I had considered that approach but since I had already started to code it in assembly, I decided to finish it that way.

Here is the finished product. Consider it an emulator for the handheld game running on the 2600. :)

I'll post up the binary in the homebrew forum.

• 9 years later...

Bomberpunk,

Used your QBasic code to port a version of your remake of Classic Football to the TRS-80 Micro Color Computer (which runs Micro Color Basic, another Microsoft product). Thanks for sharing your source. It saved me a lot of work. I've been wanting to make a version of this game for some time. Here's a vid:

https://youtu.be/zTsyjsi1vPE

Jim G.

Bomberpunk,

Used your QBasic code to port a version of your remake of Classic Football to the TRS-80 Micro Color Computer (which runs Micro Color Basic, another Microsoft product). Thanks for sharing your source. It saved me a lot of work. I've been wanting to make a version of this game for some time. Here's a vid:

https://youtu.be/zTsyjsi1vPE

Jim G.

Here's an updated vid:

• Like 1