IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 11: Tapper

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over. If you wish to discuss Tapper and compare scores, feel free to do so in this thread, but no futher scores will be accepted for points.

You are a frenzied bartender trying to keep the never ending flow of thirsty customers well watered. You'll have to keep slinging beers and occasionally guess which cans of beer the Beer Bandit has shaken.

As if that's not enough work for one bartender, try covering four different bars with a different crazy crowd in each bar. There's the Old West Saloon, the Jock Bar, the Punk Rock Bar, and the Space Bar.

Keep the sodas coming, but not too fast. You'd better be sure you've got a customer without a drink at the bar or the drink will slide right off the bar and no self-respecting bartender throws drinks away. Keep your eyes open for the empties the customers sling back your way.

Game Information

• Game Name: Tapper
  • Released By: Sega, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert (Arcade Difficulty level)
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice (Arcade Difficulty level)
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: 128bytes

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, July 13th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 97,550 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 73,025 (128bytes) [+10]
  3. 56,000 (vdub_bobby) [+9]
  4. 54,625 (Rom Hunter) [+8]
  5. 54,125 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 34,750 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 28,200 (Goochman) [+5]
  8. 27,950 (scogey) [+4]
  9. 22,175 (Cybergoth) [+3]
  10. 15,825 (doctorclu) [+2]

Best Tips

• 128bytes [+1]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 982,725 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 228,775 (Christian L Keilback)
  3. 136,050 (Stephen Knox)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [110]
  2. keilbaca [81]
  3. SpiceWare [75]
  4. shawnb [61]
  5. vdub_bobby [53]
  6. BrianC [44]
  7. LarcenTyler [39]
  8. Jred [26]
  9. scogey [25]
  10. the 5th ghost [24]
  11. 128bytes [23]
  12. Lord Helmet [19]
  13. phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • Cybergoth [15]
  • doctorclu [12]
  • Malc74 [7]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Goochman [6]
  • ResOGlas [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Christophero Sly [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Tapper
  • Get Cowboy/girl out of Door - 50 points
  • Get Sportsperson out of Door - 75 points
  • Get Punk Rocker out of Door - 100 points
  • Get Space Creature out of Door - 150 points
  • Catch an Empty Mug - 100 points
  • Complete screen (get all customers out) - 1,000 points
  • Complete Bonus Rack - 3,000 points
  • Earn one extra life after your first 20,000 points and another life for each additional 50,000 points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available online. The manual doesn't provide any specific hints, but it's worth reading anyways.
Some tips:

- Remember that we are playing using the ARCADE difficulty -- left difficulty switch on "A", right on "B". Arcade difficulty gives you 5 lives, and fast moving customers.

- Yes, you start off with 10,000 points using the Arcade difficulty.

- The gameplay is incredibly similar to the arcade, so most of the arcade strategies translate to the 2600. They include:

- When you run to grab a glass, don't run back! Either press the button to serve another drink at that table, ro move up or down to change to another table.

- If you move up at the top table, you wrap around to the bottom table; and if you move down at the bottom table

- When starting a round (after the first few), shoot off two glasses to each row. If you can somehow keep the patrons from coming in too far, you have a much better chance of finishing off the round early and getting your 1,000 point bonus for ending the round.

- During the bonus rounds, don't watch the bartender tapping his knuckles on the bar - he's trying to distract you! Those 3,000 points are very valuable, so keep your eyes on that unshaken can!

2600 specific tips:

- The customers do not leave tips on the bar in the 2600 version, so don't look for them.

- I believe there is a limitation where you can have only 2 of your full glasses moving toward the customers at any one time. It really doesn't affect gameplay; however, if you press the button a third time, that third glass will shoot out as soon as one of the customers grabs one of the first 2.

- If you are unsure you are on your last life, move your joystick up or down. Don't press the fire button, or you will lose your high score...

- It sure seems to me that the bartender is serving water. ;)

--Ze_ro

I will start things out with a score of 43,050.

post-5027-1152238190_thumb.jpg

Some tips:

- Remember that we are playing using the ARCADE difficulty -- left difficulty switch on "A", right on "B". Arcade difficulty gives you 5 lives, and fast moving customers.

- Yes, you start off with 10,000 points using the Arcade difficulty.

- The gameplay is incredibly similar to the arcade, so most of the arcade strategies translate to the 2600. They include:

- When you run to grab a glass, don't run back! Either press the button to serve another drink at that table, ro move up or down to change to another table.

- If you move up at the top table, you wrap around to the bottom table; and if you move down at the bottom table

- When starting a round (after the first few), shoot off two glasses to each row. If you can somehow keep the patrons from coming in too far, you have a much better chance of finishing off the round early and getting your 1,000 point bonus for ending the round.

- During the bonus rounds, don't watch the bartender tapping his knuckles on the bar - he's trying to distract you! Those 3,000 points are very valuable, so keep your eyes on that unshaken can!

2600 specific tips:

- The customers do not leave tips on the bar in the 2600 version, so don't look for them.

- I believe there is a limitation where you can have only 2 of your full glasses moving toward the customers at any one time. It really doesn't affect gameplay; however, if you press the button a third time, that third glass will shoot out as soon as one of the customers grabs one of the first 2.

- If you are unsure you are on your last life, move your joystick up or down. Don't press the fire button, or you will lose your high score...

- It sure seems to me that the bartender is serving water. ;)

Well, that's the end of this weeks competition. Congratulations to everyone on their scores... I hope you all had fun playing Tapper!

Sorry I'm a bit late with this week's game... work has been busy. Expect it to be up shortly.

--Zero