IGNORED

Hack-O-Matic 3 with Pinning feature and comments!

SalemFrost7800

I have a great idea how to take Hack-o-matic II to the next level but I need someone with programming ability so if their are any hackers on here with knowledge of BASIC please contact me.

HOM is still being updated by the author is it not? I don't think it has been "finished" or "abandon" has it? :? Anyhow whats your idea? Posting it out in the open might get you more help. I would try to help you but my BASIC skills would not meet what your asking I'm quite sure.

I have a great idea how to take Hack-o-matic II to the next level but I need someone with programming ability so if their are any hackers on here with knowledge of BASIC please contact me.

I had Hack-O-Matic II for maybe 2 or 3 days I really liked it but felt it needed more, then I found Bit Hacker, Bit Hacker does things I wished Hack-O-Matic II did. Example I can scroll with the wheel of my mouse in Bit Hacker, I can reverse the order of the bytes from ascending to descending, this makes it easy to see the sprites right side up.

I can stretch the bits so they are easier to see and work on. One draw back that I like in Hack-O-Matic II more is the numbers are much easier to read the addresses, in Bit Hacker they get cut off at the edge for some reason and are small I wish they could be bigger to see better and not cut off at the edge of course.

There is one thing I would love to see, an ability to load two ROMs and compare them highlighting the differences. This would eliminate a need to convert bin to txt to compare in a text editor that compares two files and highlights differences.

Try Bit Hacker it may be what you are looking for.

Wade

My idea is:

Couldn't the TIA color chart be assigned to Hack-O-Matic II?

Than you could than easily see the colors for the sprites you wanted to change and simply alter the hex value to do so. I also though maybe if possible their could be two rows of hex values and the second row could scroll independently so you could match up the colors with the sprites you wanted to change.

I know alot of times that a sprite is only one color and for examlpe if that color is black $00 could appear a hundred times, so this wouldn't be perfect but if you were changing a sprite like Mario in Donkey Kong I would think this would work very well.

The sourse code for HOM 2 can be found here:

http://www.dacodez.tk/

Edited by usinoh

My idea is:

Than you could than easily see the colors for the sprites you wanted to change and simply alter the hex value to do so. I also though maybe if possible their could be two rows of hex values and the second row could scroll independently so you could match up the colors with the sprites you wanted to change.

I know a lot of times that a sprite is only one color and for example if that color is black $00 could appear a hundred times, so this wouldn't be perfect but if you were changing a sprite like Mario in Donkey Kong I would think this would work very well.

The source code for HOM 2 can be found here:

Wow I really like your idea, so much better than going to Stella to Colour Test finding the color you want then looking it up in binary to fill out the byte that stores the color in Bit Hacker or Hack-O-Matic.

Even better would be if it had the binary next to each color or better yet if you could highlight the byte to change then click on the color and it fills out the byte with the proper binary bits automatically! :-D

It might not be 100% accurate though, I saw just recently there is a huge difference in colors between emulators, like my game "ET's Candy Bars" looks great in Stella but on Z26 looks bad.

Cool Idea :cool:

Wade

• 1 month later...

My idea is:

I know alot of times that a sprite is only one color and for examlpe if that color is black $00 could appear a hundred times, so this wouldn't be perfect but if you were changing a sprite like Mario in Donkey Kong I would think this would work very well.

The sourse code for HOM 2 can be found here:

This sounded like an interesting idea so I gave it a shot today. Here is my version of HOM3. You will need to have the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed for this work work (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en). I did look at the HOM 2 code, but it looked like really old Qbasic so for the most part I rewrote it from scratch. The datagridview control is much slower to load than the direct draw that HOM2 does, but it significantly decreased the amount of code I had to write so I apologize if it's slow. I may look at performance some other day. I've not tested this much so there may be bugs.

Enjoy,

Jeff

HOM3.zip

Well I downloaded it, and from the text file it seems you have passed off, Bit Hacker! Wow great job, I can't yet try it, because I need to download that other net thingy?

I noticed it didn't say it scrolled with the mouse wheel, if it does that would make this the perfect replacement for Bit Hacker.

Even bit hacker's play field mode was never really what it seemed it could have been, so I could give that up and switch back to hack-o-matic easy especially if I can use the mouse to scroll.

Wade

PS even if it doesn't from what I have read so far you still blew Bit Hacker out of the water!

Edited by Pac Munchkin

Hack-O-Matic 3 Now with COLOR!!!!

Jeff sent me this new version and it's Very cool, using this I was able to find and change Marios colors in Donkey kong in a matter of seconds, The colors start at address line 04b0 (when it's flipped) Marios color hex values are:

46 (Hat)

46 (Hat)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

A6 (Feet)

A6 (Feet)

I asked Jeff if it would it be possible to add a search feature so you can quickly search for the hex value you want to find and I hope it's possible So if I would search for 46 it would take me to the top of the mario color string very quickly. With this tool there may be no more need to do a disassembly for simple color changes.

Great Job Jeff!!!!

Edited by usinoh

Hack-O-Matic 3 Now with COLOR!!!!

Jeff sent me this new version and it's Very cool, using this I was able to find and change Marios colors in Donkey kong in a matter of seconds, The colors start at address line 04b0 (when it's flipped) Marios color hex values are:

46 (Hat)

46 (Hat)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

0e (Face)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

46 (Body)

A6 (Feet)

A6 (Feet)

I asked Jeff if it would it be possible to add a search feature so you can quickly search for the hex value you want to find and I hope it's possible So if I would search for 46 it would take me to the top of the mario color string very quickly. With this tool there may be no more need to do a disassembly for simple color changes.

Great Job Jeff!!!!

Search should be pretty easy. I'll take a look at it tonight. BTW the one attached in my previous post is a bit more recent in that you can toggle the colors on/off in case you like black and white.

-Jeff

EXAMPLE:

I used The Stella Emulator and went into the "Debugger" mode by pressing the "`" button during game play. From there I was able to determine Marios colors in the DONKEY KONG ESCAPES GAME and I pulled the Donkey Kong Escapes bin using the new HOM3 and turned on the color mode and search until I found the colors I was looking for. Attached is a screen shot of the colors starting from address line 0141-014E.

Doc1.doc

This is a very usefull tool!!!

Edited by usinoh

:( WinZip won't let me unzip the file:

I used Winzip 9.0SR1. Earlier versions might not work with the newer max compression scheme.

-Jeff

I used 7 zip, that worked fine.

No my comments! :-D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! I just tried HOM3 it blows Bit Hacker away!

I love it, everything is clear easy to see and read no more squinting like bit hacker, it scrolls with the mouse it has the color chart binary and hex. This is IT!!!!!!!!!

I love it!

Wade

:( WinZip won't let me unzip the file:

I used Winzip 9.0SR1. Earlier versions might not work with the newer max compression scheme.

-Jeff

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! I just tried HOM3 it blows Bit Hacker away!

I love it, everything is clear easy to see and read no more squinting like bit hacker, it scrolls with the mouse it has the color chart binary and hex. This is IT!!!!!!!!!

I love it!

Wade

Jeff is working on a couple new updates and if they work HOM3 will be the best tool ever!!!

I love it!

Wade

Thanks for the compliment. This one has better searching functionality from the Edit menu I also found a few exceptions I wasn't catching which are now fixed.

-Jeff

HOM3.zip

VERY nice piece of work! :cool: The first version was too slow but you have fixed things up quite nicely. Although I have net frameworks loaded on my system, is it possible to make hack-o-matic 3 without MS NET dependency, or is it too much extra work to bother with?

Thanks. I wrote it using Visual Studio.NET 2005 using the .NET 2.0 controls. Going backward to an earlier version of VS wouldn't be an option for me because 2005 is so much better and well it requires .NET 2.0.

-Jeff

VERY nice piece of work! :cool: The first version was too slow but you have fixed things up quite nicely. Although I have net frameworks loaded on my system, is it possible to make hack-o-matic 3 without MS NET dependency, or is it too much extra work to bother with?

Thanks. I wrote it using Visual Studio.NET 2005 using the .NET 2.0 controls. Going backward to an earlier version of VS wouldn't be an option for me because 2005 is so much better and well it requires .NET 2.0.

-Jeff

some things i do not like, if I flip the bits and then change somethiung to save it I need to flip the bits back to save it, this can be a problem when you change something to see what this will do and you find most your change gets lost.

some things that would be nice Find next, and rom compare side by side.

Wade