IGNORED

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

PacManPlus

Hello All ...

I started changing random values in the Defender II rom, and I think I'm well on my way to getting a 'Defender Arcade' hack going.

So far things changed:

1) Title Screen

2) Removed enemies that were in Stargate but not in Defender

3) Changed the 'Firebomber' into the 'Bomber' (it was the closest one)

4) Removed Inviso

5) Removed Stargate from screen

6) Removed 'Bonus Stages' (Yllabian Dog Fight, etc)

7) Changed Scoring for Pod (s/b 1000 points, not 500)

8) Changed Scoring for picking up falling humanoids (not cumulative, 500 points each time)

9) Remove 'Phred' and 'Big Red' and replace with Baiter

Things to do:

1) Remove 'Stargate' from Scanner view (I most likely will need help with this one) :(

Disassembly included with my comments on what I found.

defarcad.zip

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

I started changing random values in the Defender II rom, and I think I'm well on my way to getting a 'Defender Arcade' hack going.

Looks good so far. :)

And before anyone posts, "I can't get it working.", just set your emulator to run in 8K + superchip mode.

Update:

Changed the scoring for 'Pod' (1000 points)

Changed the scoring for catching falling humanoids (only 500 points each - not 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 etc)

Updated binary in first post.

Finaly I get whip this already made label art of Defender Arcade label I made some time ago I wanted to use the origainl arcade art work but like Blaster not much images of the game it self so again I had to redraw the Defender ship from what ever small blur images of the ship and then draw it, ink it and color it plus use the back drop stars and title name. :cool:

post-5587-1153674371_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1153674380_thumb.jpg

Update:

Changed the scoring for 'Pod' (1000 points)

Changed the scoring for catching falling humanoids (only 500 points each - not 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 etc)

Finaly I get whip this already made label art of Defender Arcade label I made some time ago I wanted to use the origainl arcade art work but like Blaster not much images of the game it self so again I had to redraw the Defender ship from what ever small blur images of the ship and then draw it, ink it and color it plus use the back drop stars and title name. :cool:

Un - &*^%ing - believable! Fantastic job. The game is looking fantastic also PacManPlus.

Allan

Edited by Allan

Thanks Allan :)

(Hopefully This should put a little spark in CPUWIZ's sales of SARA boards) :)

I have replaced all of the 'munchies' and 'Phreds' with Baiters.

I also changed the title screen to add 'Arcade' to the logo.

I'm hoping someone could at least guide me in a direction about removing the 'Stargate' flashing dot from the overhead scanner. If not, this hack is now complete as I have no clue even where to begin looking for it. I don't think it's *that* huge a deal as long as everyone knows to ignore it. I have included the disassembly with my comments on what I found. (Nukey? Thomas?) :D

Thanks everyone!

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks Allan :)

(Hopefully This should put a little spark in CPUWIZ's sales of SARA boards) :)

I have replaced all of the 'munchies' and 'Phreds' with Baiters.

I also changed the title screen to add 'Arcade' to the logo.

I'm hoping someone could at least guide me in a direction about removing the 'Stargate' flashing dot from the overhead scanner. If not, this hack is now complete as I have no clue even where to begin looking for it. I don't think it's *that* huge a deal as long as everyone knows to ignore it. I have included the disassembly with my comments on what I found. (Nukey? Thomas?) :D

Thanks everyone!

Are there any screenshots? Im on a pc linux run and the emulator not working for half a year and I cant play any new homebrew or hack games :(

Wow this was a hack I had been thinking of doing but feared I could not do it justice , I was going to try hacking up from the original Defender, changing the flying saucers to aliens like defender arcade has and changing the city line to the mountain line like arcade defender. What a brilliant idea hacking down from Defender Star Gate, now after seeing this I know i would not have done it justice trying to make defender better just would not cut it compared to what you are doing using Star Gate.

It is looking really good at least as I can see from these pictures, can't wait to give it a run! :D

Wade

I don't know who my biggest hero is on these boards...PMP or Nukey.

PMP...you sir, have remedied yet another Atari mis-step. My thanks to you!

:)

Any thoghts on changing the look of your ship to be a little closer to the arcade version?

Edited by Lord Helmet

Thanks guys - you are too much. :)

The ship is limited to 8 bits wide, and one color. :( So I'm afraid we're pretty much stuck with what we have (unless I'm missing something).

Just as a side note, I'm typing this from the Empire State Building, where I'm currently getting training for Intermediate C# programming (we're on break). :)

Bob

Thanks guys - you are too much. :)

The ship is limited to 8 bits wide, and one color. :( So I'm afraid we're pretty much stuck with what we have (unless I'm missing something).

Just as a side note, I'm typing this from the Empire State Building, where I'm currently getting training for Intermediate C# programming (we're on break). :)

Bob

Just an idea...the color is fine, but the shape sucks. either way, the game is great!

Edited by Lord Helmet

Ahhhhhhh :-( I am missing it for some reason I get a screen that says Defender arcade then the scaner and one person at the bottom, no mountains no enemies and no defender ship. as I press the button I can hear it shooting and see it on the scaner but nowhere else. :-(

Maybe it is something to do with Stella X?

Wade

Ahhhhhhh :-( I am missing it for some reason I get a screen that says Defender arcade then the scaner and one person at the bottom, no mountains no enemies and no defender ship. as I press the button I can hear it shooting and see it on the scaner but nowhere else. :-(

Wade

Remember, it uses the SARA chip - try Z26 (which is what I use) it seems to automatically know what the cart type is.

Hope this helps. :)

Is it possible to do 2 colors? It might flicker a little (ala Nukeys Ms. Hack with the 2 colors for Ms Pac-Man).

Unfortunately, that's a little beyond me at this point :(

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

As Zach said, you need to hit 'tab', click on 'Game Properties', then change the 'Type' dropdown to "F8SC". Click 'Ok', restart the game, and you should be fine.