IGNORED

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

PacManPlus

This was probably already mentioned on a previous page but I downloaded the most recent .bin (I think) and all I see when attempting to play this in Stella is the title screen, then the radar and one "citizen" at the bottom otherwise the screen is blank :?

GideonsDad

You need to hit the "tab" button to open the menu. Select "Game Properties" and change the "Type" to "F6SC (16K Atari + ram)". Hit "Okay" then "Exit Menu". You'll have to exit the game back to the main Stella menu, but then when you select the game and start it, it will work right. This game uses the second controller to deploy the smart bombs - the "F" key. This is one of my favorite hacks - very well done. It has all of the elements of the coin-op version, without the level of "impossibility" where it gets to be mostly frustration. The controls are actually easier in the hack version, because in the arcade, a separate button-press was necessary for thrust; the joystick just changed the direction you pointed.

I hope this gets you up and playing...

This was probably already mentioned on a previous page but I downloaded the most recent .bin (I think) and all I see when attempting to play this in Stella is the title screen, then the radar and one "citizen" at the bottom otherwise the screen is blank :?

GideonsDad

You need to hit the "tab" button to open the menu. Select "Game Properties" and change the "Type" to "F6SC (16K Atari + ram)". Hit "Okay" then "Exit Menu". You'll have to exit the game back to the main Stella menu, but then when you select the game and start it, it will work right. This game uses the second controller to deploy the smart bombs - the "F" key. This is one of my favorite hacks - very well done. It has all of the elements of the coin-op version, without the level of "impossibility" where it gets to be mostly frustration. The controls are actually easier in the hack version, because in the arcade, a separate button-press was necessary for thrust; the joystick just changed the direction you pointed.

I hope this gets you up and playing...

Thanks Todd!

GideonsDad

• 1 year later...

Old thread...

WELL,

meanwhile I'm saving some "extra" €uros to buy some other carts, I produced an example of Defender Arcade box sheet !

"Light Silver" label for it, as i did before for Pac-Man Arcade and it'll be how I'll draw the other "ARCADE" series game boxes ;) !

These are the sheets: (upload quality)

post-10922-0-76469400-1307205394_thumb.jpg

post-10922-0-72741200-1307205455_thumb.jpg

post-10922-0-67197300-1307205466_thumb.jpg

Hope you'd like it :thumbsup: :cool: !

Edited by macdlsa
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Very good hack, I enjoy it more than original Defender II. And thank you very much for the PAL version!

The question is, how do I use bombs? They are mapped to the fire button of the Controller 2, but I'm not a Goro! I can't hold two controllers at a time and no way to use Colecovision controller, which has two fire buttons.

Is there any workaround for this, or I should rather forget about bombs?

Best regards,

Helga.

• 3 years later...

It would be good if Megadrive controller support could be added. That would really bring the game bang up to date... icon_smile.gif

It seems like you missed this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/158430-rom-hacks-to-support-2-buttons-with-genesis-controllers/

Although, I think mapping the other weapons to the keyboard controller for the player 2 side might have been a better option.

Is the "2-buttons-with-genesis-controller" feature present in the game available in the AtariAge Store?

• 2 months later...

Really nice hack! It's definitely a lot more enjoyable than the original Atari 2600 port of Defender. I never really liked that version but this one makes me want to play itself!

Though on Stage 1 there's seemingly an invisible enemy of sorts that show up in the scanner but not in the actual playing field... I could go on top of the spot and such... I wonder what that was about...

Edited by Tangentg

Really nice hack! It's definitely a lot more enjoyable than the original Atari 2600 port of Defender. I never really liked that version but this one makes me want to play itself!

Though on Stage 1 there's seemingly an invisible enemy of sorts that show up in the scanner but not in the actual playing field... I could go on top of the spot and such... I wonder what that was about...

That may be the "stargate" that was hacked out of Defender II

• 4 years later...
On 6/3/2011 at 11:59 PM, macdlsa said:

Old thread...

WELL,

meanwhile I'm saving some "extra" €uros to buy some other carts, I produced an example of Defender Arcade box sheet !

"Light Silver" label for it, as i did before for Pac-Man Arcade and it'll be how I'll draw the other "ARCADE" series game boxes ;) !

These are the sheets: (upload quality)

post-10922-0-76469400-1307205394_thumb.jpg

post-10922-0-72741200-1307205455_thumb.jpg

post-10922-0-67197300-1307205466_thumb.jpg

Hope you'd like it :thumbsup: :cool: !

Wow! That's amazing! I love the original box art for the Defender Atari game, but this is so good that it's worth hanging on the wall. I love that it shows a lander picking up a humanoid.