Photo

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

236 replies to this topic

#226 almightytodd OFFLINE  

almightytodd

Dragonstomper

• 788 posts
  • Infrequent Poster

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 PM

This was probably already mentioned on a previous page but I downloaded the most recent .bin (I think) and all I see when attempting to play this in Stella is the title screen, then the radar and one "citizen" at the bottom otherwise the screen is blank :?

GideonsDad

You need to hit the "tab" button to open the menu. Select "Game Properties" and change the "Type" to "F6SC (16K Atari + ram)". Hit "Okay" then "Exit Menu". You'll have to exit the game back to the main Stella menu, but then when you select the game and start it, it will work right. This game uses the second controller to deploy the smart bombs - the "F" key. This is one of my favorite hacks - very well done. It has all of the elements of the coin-op version, without the level of "impossibility" where it gets to be mostly frustration. The controls are actually easier in the hack version, because in the arcade, a separate button-press was necessary for thrust; the joystick just changed the direction you pointed.

I hope this gets you up and playing...

#227 GideonsDad OFFLINE  

GideonsDad

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 PM

This was probably already mentioned on a previous page but I downloaded the most recent .bin (I think) and all I see when attempting to play this in Stella is the title screen, then the radar and one "citizen" at the bottom otherwise the screen is blank :?

GideonsDad

You need to hit the "tab" button to open the menu. Select "Game Properties" and change the "Type" to "F6SC (16K Atari + ram)". Hit "Okay" then "Exit Menu". You'll have to exit the game back to the main Stella menu, but then when you select the game and start it, it will work right. This game uses the second controller to deploy the smart bombs - the "F" key. This is one of my favorite hacks - very well done. It has all of the elements of the coin-op version, without the level of "impossibility" where it gets to be mostly frustration. The controls are actually easier in the hack version, because in the arcade, a separate button-press was necessary for thrust; the joystick just changed the direction you pointed.

I hope this gets you up and playing...

Thanks Todd!

GideonsDad

#228 macdlsa OFFLINE  

macdlsa

Moonsweeper

• 318 posts

Posted Sat Jun 4, 2011 12:59 AM

Old thread...
WELL,
meanwhile I'm saving some "extra" €uros to buy some other carts, I produced an example of Defender Arcade box sheet !
"Light Silver" label for it, as i did before for Pac-Man Arcade and it'll be how I'll draw the other "ARCADE" series game boxes ;) !

These are the sheets: (upload quality)

DefenderArcade_LightSilver_NTSC.jpg
Defender_Arcade_cartridge.jpg
DefenderArcade_end.jpg

Hope you'd like it :thumbsup: :cool: !

Edited by macdlsa, Sat Jun 4, 2011 10:37 AM.

#229 Lady Eklipse OFFLINE  

Lady Eklipse

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 AM

Very good hack, I enjoy it more than original Defender II. And thank you very much for the PAL version!
The question is, how do I use bombs? They are mapped to the fire button of the Controller 2, but I'm not a Goro! I can't hold two controllers at a time and no way to use Colecovision controller, which has two fire buttons.
Is there any workaround for this, or I should rather forget about bombs?
Best regards,
Helga.

#230 PFL OFFLINE  

PFL

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 AM

It would be good if Megadrive controller support could be added. That would really bring the game bang up to date... :)

#231 Bakasama OFFLINE  

Bakasama

Stargunner

• 1,629 posts
  • Kitava is just too hard

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 AM

It seems like you missed this thread:

http://www.atariage....is-controllers/

Although, I think mapping the other weapons to the keyboard controller for the player 2 side might have been a better option.

#232 PFL OFFLINE  

PFL

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 PM

^
I certainly did! I think that thread has pushed me over the edge. I think I'll go a dig out a Megadrive controller right now!

PS: Thanks for the link!

#233 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 3,502 posts
  • HSC Player

Posted Tue Apr 5, 2016 4:43 PM

It would be good if Megadrive controller support could be added. That would really bring the game bang up to date... icon_smile.gif

It seems like you missed this thread:

http://www.atariage....is-controllers/

Although, I think mapping the other weapons to the keyboard controller for the player 2 side might have been a better option.

Is the "2-buttons-with-genesis-controller" feature present in the game available in the AtariAge Store?

#234 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:55 AM

Really nice hack! It's definitely a lot more enjoyable than the original Atari 2600 port of Defender. I never really liked that version but this one makes me want to play itself!

Though on Stage 1 there's seemingly an invisible enemy of sorts that show up in the scanner but not in the actual playing field... I could go on top of the spot and such... I wonder what that was about...

Edited by Tangentg, Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:57 AM.

#235 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,992 posts
  • Meh

Posted Fri Jul 8, 2016 12:12 PM

Really nice hack! It's definitely a lot more enjoyable than the original Atari 2600 port of Defender. I never really liked that version but this one makes me want to play itself!

Though on Stage 1 there's seemingly an invisible enemy of sorts that show up in the scanner but not in the actual playing field... I could go on top of the spot and such... I wonder what that was about...

That may be the "stargate" that was hacked out of Defender II

#236 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Fri Jul 8, 2016 8:13 PM

That may be the "stargate" that was hacked out of Defender II

Ah, that'd make sense. Hopefully in the final version, it'd be removed from the scanner as well.

#237 Atariboy2600 OFFLINE  

Atariboy2600

Stargunner

• 1,972 posts

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:40 AM

Wow still on this? I still have the early rom cart of the game with the first label I did. And still works^_^

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users