IGNORED

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

PacManPlus

lol - I just realized something... Andrew basically told me in that post that my time is worth nothing but everyone elses is! ;)

Since there's ample ROM in 16K, maybe a proper 'credits' scroller would be good. The "unadorned pillar" title screens really never seemed satisfactory. A game like defender deserves a title screen more like this, don't ya think?

post-7027-1154390953_thumb.jpg

Certainly no room for something like that in the original 8K. but in 16K why not?

BTW- you're gonna take your credit out? :?: ? Why? It's still your hack, and it's not your fault that other people want to contribute to it to make it better. I believe any contribution that you accept from others are like donations. Although others more now have there hands on it- the geneology still started with you, at least for this particular hack. I'm sure those who want to help know this. We're doing this for fun - it's a community thing, and I think it's good to let those who play it know who thought of it first. Anybody can make there own hack of the same program and give themselves credit for there own alterations -even refinements of someone else's finalized hack (if it's already done in their book)! I suspect it's because putting the name of another game in the title does not sound or look right. I mean, it's up to you if you want to take it out.

How bout' using your real name instead? ... or at least your initials?

-Just a thought. :|

Hi:

Thanks for the post. :) It isn't to say that it's not my hack, It's just that I never felt right with it in there, and now moreso because there's been a few people that have helped me. Exactly like you said; it's a community thing, so for me to take all the credit for this hack isn't right. I did start it, so I will be making carts of it, but that's about it. :)

Also, Wade mentioned that the look of the landers changed? Not in the one I posted (see screen shot). Also as far as the ship, I've been doing comparisons with MAME to get the looks of the sprites (except the bombers) :ponder: and there seems to be *something* toward the nose of the ship (not quite sure what it is - see picture). But a few people have complained about this so if people think I should take out that little bump by the nose of the ship, I will do so.

Yes that is the red color of the three lights the blue is next then the orange, they seem to change colors back and fourth, but I think if you do it in red black red it achieves that same effect, or a closeness to it, and that is close to what you have now.

I zoomed in on it at probably 100x using my firefox picture zoom.

I see what you mean about the pixels being twice as wide, maybe you could go down to 5 pixels to get the look of the arcade 9 pixels?

These are just little things oh but that color orange I don't know where that changed but it should be back to the red you had just before it, not the first red but the one just before it went to orange.

Anyway I am liking this hack you are doing a great job, and I do think you deserve credit and respect.

Wade

These are just little things oh but that color orange I don't know where that changed but it should be back to the red you had just before it, not the first red but the one just before it went to orange.

Eh, ship color is my "fault". The red was a bit too hard too see, so I lightened it up. Hue's not great, but with the 2:1-slope planet I think the brightness is good. BTW, I'm bummed that nobody commented about my title screen pic. I really wasn't joking (a WIP, but awesome even so)

logo.bin

Edited by supercat

Eh, ship color is my "fault". The red was a bit too hard, so I lightened it up. Hue's not great, but with the 2:1-slope planet I think the brightness is good. BTW, I'm bummed that nobody commented about my title screen pic. I really wasn't joking (a WIP, but awesome even so)

Truly awesome :)

Cheers

A

Since there's ample ROM in 16K, maybe a proper 'credits' scroller would be good. The "unadorned pillar" title screens really never seemed satisfactory. A game like defender deserves a title screen more like this, don't ya think?

Certainly no room for something like that in the original 8K. but in 16K why not?

I was gonna suggest some kind of one line credit be used to acknowledge all involved but you have a way better idea than mine supercat! a credit scroller is the best answer to this!

BTW-That horizontal title look excellent! If I can help it, leave it to me to render a pixle perfect version of the acade's title screen with the trapiziod shaped lettering! This hack does deserve it!

BTW-That horizontal title look excellent! If I can help it, leave it to me to render a pixle perfect version of the acade's title screen with the trapiziod shaped lettering! This hack does deserve it!

Unfortunately, if you want a nice big title you don't get to choose a whole lot of your pixels. The left half of every letter can be drawn with playfield alone, and only the first, fifth, sixth, and eighth letters need player sprites for their right halves (the other letters can just use missiles as masks). I'd like to have a double-cart with StarGate and Defender (32K cart) since the mountain and scanner patches would improve StarGate as well. Not sure what I could do for a STARGATE title, though. Not only are there five "difficult" letters instead of four, but most of them have tricky stuff on the left as well as the right.

Eh, ship color is my "fault". The red was a bit too hard too see, so I lightened it up. Hue's not great, but with the 2:1-slope planet I think the brightness is good. BTW, I'm bummed that nobody commented about my title screen pic. I really wasn't joking (a WIP, but awesome even so)

OHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN AWESOME LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

You can do that, wow excellent, oh yes you are the one that did the scanner you are a quite good hacker!

Wade

Hey man - sorry I didn't come back to this thread since yesterday afternoon - that is an AWESOME logo! I think this has become more of your hack than mine at this point ;)

Are you going to implement that title screen? I hope so! :D

BTW, I don't know if this matters or not, but if you do put in your title screen, taking out the existing one (which uses up quite a bit of ROM space) and removing the bitmaps & code for the enemies that are no longer in the game (the Stargate specific enemies), would there be enough to fit back in 8K? All I did was skip using the Stargate-specific enemies, but they are still there.

Edited by PacManPlus

By the way, this just got me thinking. It's amazing what 'could have been' back in the day. If Atari had come out with Supercat's Defender, Nukey's Pac-Man, JohnnyWC's Ladybug, the 2600 might just have stood up to the second generation systems that came after it!

Supercat, this is your baby from now on. I could never do it justice the way you are able to, and I'm jealous. :D

Bob

I love the new logo. This game just keeps getting better and better. I still wish there was a way for a multicolored ship to by used, but I understand it's not possible.

@PMP, yeah, some of the homebrews and hacks lately have pushed the envelope where no one thought it would go. Some of these homebrewers would be very rich men right now if it were 1982. I'm just glad they enjoy developing games for the 2600. My sinsere thanks to all of them. I'll always be here to playtest and give what little insight I have :)

By the way, this just got me thinking. It's amazing what 'could have been' back in the day. If Atari had come out with Supercat's Defender, Nukey's Pac-Man, JohnnyWC's Ladybug, the 2600 might just have stood up to the second generation systems that came after it!

Supercat, this is your baby from now on. I could never do it justice the way you are able to, and I'm jealous. :D

Bob

Much agreed, it just keeps getting more amazing, the things being done for 2600 games!

Maybe you and Supercat could have something like me and Neo with Mad Max? That is cool, there is a respect both ways, me for starting it and him for taking it beyond where I thought it was finished, it was just the beginning. :D

Wade

I sort of chuckled at the name of the game on the cartrige--"Defender Arcade".

It's like Atari is putting out a message to me like, "Our original version of Defender sucks, so here's a more arcade-realistic version!" :)

Ha ha!... true true! --actually, I think it's us putting out our message to them! :D

Great looking label atariboy!

Edited by espire8

I was gonna suggest some kind of one line credit be used to acknowledge all involved but you have a way better idea than mine supercat! a credit scroller is the best answer to this!

Yknow.. it looks really nice. But I was thinking if a logo is indeed going to be used and maybe more space was added, would it be at all possible to replicate the look of the actual Defender logo? :?

I mean, if not exact then at least some similar facsimile? It's just that.. That IS the Defender logo. Might as well use it for the 2600's "Arcade Defender" :)

post-31-1154585747.jpg