How to beat Pitfall Video...

17 replies to this topic

#1 pocketmego OFFLINE  

pocketmego

Dragonstomper

• 678 posts
  • INSANE!

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 AM

Please forgive me if this has been posted before. I've found a couple of these on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.c...U...ted&search=

It is a How To video segment release in the 80's showing how to beat certain games. The two I have seen so far are this one and one for Atlantis (which actually comes out and says Atlantis is a prequal to Cosmic Ark).

My favorite part of this video is how the narrator keeps dramatically calling the Crocodiles "YOUR WORST ENEMIES..."

:D

-Ray

#2 ATARIPITBULL OFFLINE  

ATARIPITBULL

LICK MY RED ROCKET LIKE A CANDY CAIN !!!

• 6,394 posts
  • Rub my belly and get a surprise in your face !!

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 PM

Thanks to not having High speed internet, it took for ever to see the whole thing but it was great.

Thanks for the link, I sure wish someone would take all the old Atari 2600 commercials and even these "How to beat pitfall" type of movies and put them all on a DVD, I sure as hell would pay for one.

:cool: :ponder: :D

#3 pocketmego OFFLINE  

pocketmego

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 678 posts
  • INSANE!

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:11 PM

Thanks to not having High speed internet, it took for ever to see the whole thing but it was great.

Thanks for the link, I sure wish someone would take all the old Atari 2600 commercials and even these "How to beat pitfall" type of movies and put them all on a DVD, I sure as hell would pay for one.

:cool: :ponder: :D

Same here. Like vintage toys, sometimes the commercials could be better than the games. You Tube has a tone of Atari commercials available and a few of these. I just posted the Demon Attack one and I'll repost it here for you if no one minds...

http://www.youtube.c.....0Attack Atari

Remember to draw a chart for those firing demons. LOL

Here is the one for atlantis as well...

http://www.youtube.c.....tlantis Atari

Enjoy

-Ray

#4 the 5th ghost OFFLINE  

the 5th ghost

River Patroller

• 2,103 posts

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 PM

Is that Harry Nilsson narrating? :D

Edited by the 5th ghost, Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 PM.

#5 pocketmego OFFLINE  

pocketmego

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 678 posts
  • INSANE!

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:34 PM

Is that Harry Nilsson narrating? :D

Who is Harry Nilsson?

You can actually see the narrator in the Atlantis one. He has a big White man's 70's Fro. looks a bit like Napoleon Dybamite actually. :)

Here is a master search list page for all of these that YouTube has on file. Apparently they also did them for the Coleco and Atari 5200.

http://www.youtube.c...e=search_videos

-Ray

Edited by pocketmego, Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 PM.

#6 the 5th ghost OFFLINE  

the 5th ghost

River Patroller

• 2,103 posts

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:57 PM

Who is Harry Nilsson?

LOL

(unless you're serious)

#7 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,326 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 PM

Who is Harry Nilsson?

LOL

(unless you're serious)

Why wouldn't he be serious? I was born in late '68 and I don't know who Harry Nilsson is (though it seems like I've read his name a few times before).

#8 pocketmego OFFLINE  

pocketmego

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 678 posts
  • INSANE!

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:18 PM

Yeah, no really, who is that?

-Ray

#9 the 5th ghost OFFLINE  

the 5th ghost

River Patroller

• 2,103 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:15 AM

-Ray

He was a very gifted singer/songwriter that did most of his best work in the late 60s through the 70s. The Beatles were among his biggest fans (he and Lennon used to hang out a lot, and I think Ringo may have been his best man)

Anyway, he put out an album called "The Point!" which I highly recommend. The album is remarkable, and he narrates between each song. That's why I thought the video game narrator sounded like him.

Somebody recently did a documentary about Nilsson, and the title is:

"Who is Harry Nilsson?" (which is what cracked me up :P )

There's a little trailer about it here: http://profile.myspa...iendid=73921244

Most people know other songs he did like the "Lime in the Coconut" song, and "Without You" (later redone by Mariah Carey)

But again, my favorite is his album "The Point!" It just puts me in a very nice place. "Nilsson Schmilsson" and "Son of Schmilsson" are also recommended.

Edited by the 5th ghost, Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:15 AM.

#10 G.Whiz OFFLINE  

G.Whiz

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:08 AM

-Ray

Yeah, that is funny! Guess it goes to show that the filmmaker really nailed that title...

BTW, don't think it was him in the Pitfall video. But he does look familiar -- any ideas?

~G

#11 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

River Patroller

• 4,119 posts
  • Meat is the new bread.

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:14 AM

He was a very gifted singer/songwriter that did most of his best work in the late 60s through the 70s. The Beatles were among his biggest fans (he and Lennon used to hang out a lot, and I think Ringo may have been his best man)

[Nillllsssssson songs chopped from post]

He also wrote and sang "Best Friend," aka the theme from The Courtship Of Eddie's Father.

He sang (but didn't write) "Everybody's Talkin'," which plays during just about every effing scene change in Midnight Cowboy.

Nilsson wrote stuff that other bands did, too...I'm pretty sure he wrote one of Three Dog Night's big hits, but I don't remember which one. (It wasn't "Joy To The Word," I know that much.) He wrote "Cuddly Toy" and "Daddy's Song," both of which were recorded by The Monkees (both songs sound alike, but "Daddy's Song" sounds a LOT like "Best Friend"!).

He wrote a lot of the songs in the movie Popeye.

Nilsson, back in the day, was also quite the party animal. I think Micky Dolenz wrote in his autobio that (paraphrased) if you had a lunch date on Thursday afternoon with Harry, you'd end up waking up in a strange place on Tuesday and not remember what happened in between!

Oh...and I was born in 1974.

#12 the 5th ghost OFFLINE  

the 5th ghost

River Patroller

• 2,103 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:41 AM

BTW, don't think it was him in the Pitfall video. But he does look familiar -- any ideas?

~G

Oh, I know it's not him in the video. I was just making a crack because the voice sounds very similar to the way Nilsson narrates "The Point!"

#13 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,879 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 AM

Good grief. Good, good grief. I was also born in 1974, and the lack of knowledge about Harry Nilsson in this thread absolutely appalls me!

(please note the tongue firmly in cheek) :D

Anyway, Harry Nilsson was a successful singer and songwriter, enjoying popularity both with his own work and with the work of other writers. He peaked in the early 70s with songs like the previously mentioned "Everybody's Talkin'", "Without You" (later butchered by Air Supply and Mariah Carey), and "Coconut" (which everyone and their little brother should know; it's the "lime in the coconut" song).

Nilsson cowrote The Point, and he composed and sang the songs for it ("Me and My Arrow" being the most popular), but he did not narrate it. Depending on which version you saw, that responsibility went to Alan Barzman, Dustin Hoffman, Alan Thicke or Ringo Starr. Ringo Starr's performance is used in the current DVD release.

Nilsson wrote all the songs in Popeye, though Tom Pierson had a hand in writing the rest of the instrumental score.

For shame! :)

Edited by skunkworx, Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 AM.

#14 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

River Patroller

• 4,119 posts
  • Meat is the new bread.

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 PM

Wait...I know Van Dyke Parks had something to do with the Popeye score, too -- I know I saw his name in the opening credits as something to do with the music in it...

Oh...don't forget "Without Her" (a different song from "Without You") as well. I've heard about five different versions of that song, and they all sound EXACTLY the same.

#15 pocketmego OFFLINE  

pocketmego

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 678 posts
  • INSANE!

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:49 PM

-Ray

Anyway, he put out an album called "The Point!" which I highly recommend. The album is remarkable, and he narrates between each song. That's why I thought the video game narrator sounded like him.

There's a little trailer about it here: http://profile.myspa...iendid=73921244

Most people know other songs he did like the "Lime in the Coconut" song, and "Without You" (later redone by Mariah Carey)

But again, my favorite is his album "The Point!" It just puts me in a very nice place. "Nilsson Schmilsson" and "Son of Schmilsson" are also recommended.

LOL, I see.

Lime in the Cocanut Guy, that is all I needed to know.

I was also born in 1974. Seems to be a good year for Atari-Fans. :D
-Ray

Edited by pocketmego, Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:51 PM.

#16 kirin jensen OFFLINE  

kirin jensen

Moonsweeper

• 308 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:09 PM

Wait...I know Van Dyke Parks had something to do with the Popeye score, too -- I know I saw his name in the opening credits as something to do with the music in it...

Oh...don't forget "Without Her" (a different song from "Without You") as well. I've heard about five different versions of that song, and they all sound EXACTLY the same.

I looked him up on the IMDB and Van Dyke Parks is listed as an actor on Popeye (playing someone named Hoagy).

#17 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,879 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:59 PM

I looked him up on the IMDB and Van Dyke Parks is listed as an actor on Popeye (playing someone named Hoagy).

Parks had a small cameo in the movie (his character Hoagy may've been the band conductor, but I won't swear to that), but Dauber is right in that Parks was also involved in the movie's music. He didn't compose it, but he had a hand in arranging and conducting.

#18 the 5th ghost OFFLINE  

the 5th ghost

River Patroller

• 2,103 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:03 PM

Good grief. Good, good grief. I was also born in 1974, and the lack of knowledge about Harry Nilsson in this thread absolutely appalls me!

(please note the tongue firmly in cheek) :D

Nilsson cowrote The Point, and he composed and sang the songs for it ("Me and My Arrow" being the most popular), but he did not narrate it. Depending on which version you saw, that responsibility went to Alan Barzman, Dustin Hoffman, Alan Thicke or Ringo Starr. Ringo Starr's performance is used in the current DVD release.

Nilsson wrote all the songs in Popeye, though Tom Pierson had a hand in writing the rest of the instrumental score.

For shame! :)

Have you listened to the album, "The Point!"? Nilsson narrates. And the story is Nilsson's. Fred Wolf added his own input for the cartoon version.

I never mentioned the cartoon, I know who narrated those. (I have the Ringo version)

Dang!

Edited by the 5th ghost, Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:05 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users