IGNORED

ST scart needed

liveinabin

Now...this may not seem like a proper ST question but stay with me -

Right, I've just got a French PAL Atari 7800 console and the video output is fairly lousy, lots of ghosting and colour bleed.

Now, it's fitted with a scart lead (thats why I bought the french one) so the picture should be better than that. I ran some multimeter tests on my lead and there seems to be a bit of resistance in some of the pins. Why am I posting here?

Well, the lead in question is the same as an Atai ST scart - 13pin din plug.

Does anyone (pref in UK or near) have a good workable ST scart lead they could sell me so I can get my console fixed?

Thanks v much

Oh cool, thanks for that. I running out of ideas on how to cure my dodgy 7800 picture quality.

Actually, since you too have a Scart 7800, you're probably the man to ask.

Is the picture quality of a scart 7800 noticeably better than the regular RF version? 2600 games on my 7800 look absolutely lousy, with loads of colour bleed all over the place.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: liveinabin ]

Yes, the quality is great. The only issue I have is that when I turn on my 7800 the picture is black and white for about two seconds and then it kicks into color. Not a big problem but slightly annoying. Does yours do this? I'm wondering if it's because I have it hooked into an Amiga RGB monitor.

About the ST SCART cable, it does seem to be different from the 7800 SCART cable. If you check this site it will tell you which pins have the resistors on the ST SCART cable. If you SCART cable has those resistors then that is probably what is causing the problem. Mine has no resistors at all.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Mitch ]

No, mine has no resistors.

Oh yeah,it does go black+white for a couple of seconds before going color. I think they all do. I'm just getting some bad color problems, ie. when playing pole position, the graphics of the oncoming yellow cars are horizontally ghosted across the entire track.

I've checked the internal wiring, its shoddily done but its all hooked up ok and tried adjusting those colour pots. No joy, it also has very fine horizontal lines on the pics. Its a pity there don't seem to be any schematics of the scart version.

Hmm, I haven't. I run several other consoles on the same set tho (many with scart leads) so its prob not that.

I've bought all the bits to make myself a new scart lead for it, along with a new 13-pin connector to solder on the daughterboard (conns look a bit rusty on the one I've got)